Global Cosmetic Chemicals Market is valued at USD 20.86 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 29.24 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR of 4.30% over the forecast period.
The market is driven by the increasing awareness of skin health and its importance to the overall beauty. Major players are focusing on developing new products that offer improved skin quality. Consumers are becoming increasingly cautious about the safety risks posed by cosmetic ingredients, particularly when it comes to allergic reactions and cancer risks. This has led to the developing of new safety testing methods for cosmetics products and industry-wide initiatives such as the EU Cosmetics Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009, which requires ingredient disclosure for all cosmetic products sold in Europe. There is also growing demand for natural cosmetics owing to their popularity among consumers. Key factors fuelling the growth of the Global Cosmetic Chemicals Market include increasing demand for skin care products and fragrances, expanding use of natural ingredients in cosmetics products, rising popularity of organic cosmetics, and increase in R&D initiatives by key players in the industry. Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest-growing region in the cosmetics market, with a CAGR of 11.3%. This growth is attributed to the increasing demand for affordable and accessible cosmetics products in this region. Latin America is also predicted to witness high growth soon, with a CAGR of 7.9%. Various factors, such as the rising incidence of skin cancer and other skin diseases, growing awareness about the importance of healthy skin, and escalating government regulations, are expected to drive the growth of the Global Cosmetic Chemicals Market.
Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the world, with an estimated 1.6 million new cases diagnosed each year. The incidence rates vary significantly by country, with higher rates seen in developed countries than in developing ones. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, an estimated 7.1 million cases of skin cancer will be diagnosed in the United States this year. Programs like the U.S. National Institutes of Health’s (NIH) Chemical Genomics Program aims to develop novel chemical compounds that can be used in cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and other industrial applications. BASF has developed a novel technology that allows it to produce nanoparticles that are effectively inhibited. This technology is expected to drive growth across various segments of the Cosmetic Chemicals Market, including personal care products, sunscreens, and hair care products.
Cosmetic Chemicals Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
The European Union (EU) has announced plans to restrict the use of certain hazardous chemicals in personal care products. This move is expected to increase demand for safe and eco-friendly products, fueling the growth of the Cosmetic Chemicals Market. In India, regulations about sunscreen ingredients are set to be introduced soon. Some of the key restraints hampering the growth of the Global Cosmetic Chemicals Market includes the high cost of raw materials, strict environmental laws in some regions, and low consumer awareness about the harmful effects of certain chemicals. The stringent environmental laws in Europe and North America are expected to restrain the growth of this market. In addition, consumers' increasing focus on natural ingredients is also anticipated to restrain the growth of the Global Cosmetic Chemicals Market. However, opportunities such as developing green chemistry techniques for manufacturing safer and more effective cosmetics are expected to provide growth opportunities in this segment in the future.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Competitive benchmarking
- Historical data & forecasts
- Company revenue shares
- Regional opportunities
- Latest trends & dynamics
- Power BI Report (Dashboard)
Capitalizing The Market
Some of the methods used by these companies to capitalize on the Cosmetic Chemical Market include mergers & acquisitions, product launches/upgrades, joint ventures, and partnerships. They are also leveraging their strengths in marketing & distribution channels to reach more consumers across geographies. The key player companies are focusing on developing new and innovative formulations that address the needs of various consumer segments. They are also working on enhancing their capabilities in R&D and manufacturing processes to stay ahead of the competition.
Top Market Trends
- Increasing focus on natural ingredients: Consumers are increasingly looking for more natural-based ingredients in cosmetics products owing to concerns over environmental damage and health concerns associated with conventional ingredients. This has helped drive growth in the green chemistry segment of the Cosmetic Chemicals Market.
- Another key trend impacting consumer behavior is the increasing demand for sustainable cosmetics. This is being driven by concerns over environmental pollutants and toxicity, as well as rising prices of natural resources used in conventional cosmetics ingredients. In addition, there is growing awareness about the importance of protecting human health through consuming safe cosmetics products.
- Gender Diversity: The increasing popularity of transgender and gender-nonconforming individuals fuels the growth of products designed specifically for these communities. These include inclusive beauty brands that cater to people with all different hair textures, skin tones, and body types.
- Customers demand more personalized information about their makeup ingredients to make informed choices that align with their lifestyles and health concerns. This leads to developing new technologies that can analyze a person's skin type and ethnicity to provide customized recommendations for cosmetic products.
- The homecare segment is projected to grow at a higher rate owing to increasing awareness about environmental matters among consumers and a preference for safe and effective products without side effects.
- More consumers are seeking high-quality cosmetics brands that offer a premium experience compared to lower-quality options available on the market. This drives the growth of luxury beauty brands such as Lancome, Chanel, and Estee Lauder, which can charge higher.
- Growth in functional segments: The functional segments of the cosmetics market are witnessing significant growth due to increasing demand for sprays, gels, shampoos, etc., that provide enhanced performance properties such as anti-aging benefits or antimicrobial properties.
The Global Cosmetic Chemicals Market is segmented based on Product Types, Applications, and Regions. Based on the Product Types, the market is classified into Surfactants, Polymer Ingredients, Colorants, and Preservatives. In addition, based on Applications, the market is segmented into Skin Care, Hair Care, Make-up, Oral Care, Fragrances, and Others (Toiletries). Likewise, based on Region, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Product Types
The Global Cosmetic Chemicals Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 7.4% during the forecast period. The growth is attributed to the increasing demand for skin and hair care products owing to the benefits offered, such as reducing water absorption, improving moisturization, and enhancing shine. The global polymer ingredient market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 6.1% during the same period. The growth is attributed to the increasing demand for personal care products such as moisturizers, make-up bases, and creams due to their non-toxic nature and ability to provide long-term results. The global colorant market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 7.5% during the period. The growth is attributed to the increasing demand for cosmetics products owing to their ability to impart desired colors and shades. The global preservative market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.7% during the forecast period. The growth is mainly driven by the increasing demand from the food and beverage industry owing to the decreasing rates of microbial spoilage.
Based on Applications
The skin care segment will account for the largest share of the Global Cosmetic Chemicals Market in the forecast period, followed by hair care and make-up. The global skincare market is forecast to grow at a CAGR of 7.5% until 2025. The global hair care market is forecast to grow at a CAGR of 6.5% until 2025. In addition, hair care products are used to treat hair disorders such as dandruff and scalp irritation. Makeup applications also remain popular among consumers and are expected to grow at a CAGR of 6% until 2025. Oral care will be the fastest-growing segment over the next five years as people continue to seek more affordable and safer alternatives to traditional oral hygiene products. Fragrances are also expected to be a large revenue generator for the cosmetics chemicals market over the next few years owing to the increasing trend of personalized fragrance formulations for consumers. Fragrances and others (toiletries) applications are among the key application areas driving the market growth.
Based on Region
Based on Region, North America dominates the global cosmetics market with a more than 40% share. North America will be the largest regional market and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5.0% during the forecast period. This growth is attributed to the increasing popularity of cosmetic products among consumers in this region. Europe will be the second-largest regional market and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 7.2% during the same period. This growth is attributed to the increasing awareness of cosmetics among consumers in this region. Asia Pacific will be the fastest-growing regional market, with a CAGR of 9.5% during the forecast period, followed by Latin America. This is due to the increasing popularity of skin-care products in this region. The Middle East & Africa is expected to grow slower than the other regions.
The key players in the Global Cosmetic Chemicals Market include- Solvay S.A. (Belgium), Cargill Incorporated (US), The Dow Chemical Company (US), Croda International PLC (UK), BASF SE (Germany), P&G (US), Evonik Industries AG (Germany), Stepan Company (US), Symrise (Germany), Ashland Inc (US) and others.
- Increased Demand for Green Cosmetic Chemicals: As consumers become more conscious about their environmental impact, they are increasingly looking for environmentally friendly products. This has led to a rise in demand for green Cosmetic Chemicals, which have minimal or no adverse environmental effects.
- Development of New Processes and Formulations for Cosmetic Chemicals: In order to develop new formulations and processes for Cosmetic Chemicals, companies are
- Symrise declared its commitment to environmental sustainability in April of 2022 when it introduced Hydrolite 8 green, a multifunctional, bio-based caprylyl glycol that may be used in various cosmetic applications. Symrise is developing it using their unique tech. Natural and synthetic cosmetics benefit from using this high-purity, tidy component authorized by the USDA Biobased, COSMOS, and NaTrue standards organizations.
- Sun Chemical, a wholly owned subsidiary of DIC Corporation, added Reflecks MD Midnight Cherry and Reflecks MD Midnight Sapphire to the Reflecks MultiDimensions product range in August 2021.
- One of the most popular Cosmetic Chemicals is glycolic acid. It is used in facial toners and exfoliants because it helps to break down skin cell walls and remove impurities. Glycolic acid also has anti-inflammatory properties, which are beneficial for acne-prone skin.
Segmentation of the Global Cosmetic Chemicals Market
- Product Types (Surfactants, Polymer Ingredients, Colorants, Preservatives)
- Applications (Skin Care, Hair Care, Make-Up, Oral Care, Fragrances, Others (Toiletries))
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Solvay S.A. (Belgium)
- Cargill Incorporated (US)
- The Dow Chemical Company (US)
- Croda International PLC (UK)
- BASF SE (Germany)
- P&G (US)
- Evonik Industries AG (Germany)
- Stepan Company (US)
- Symrise (Germany)
- Ashland Inc (US)
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options