The global Waterless Cosmetics Market is valued at USD 10.4 Billion in 2023 and is projected to reach a value of USD 26.5 Billion by 2032 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 11% between 2024 and 2032.
Key Highlights of Waterless Cosmetics Market
- Asia Pacific generated more than 41.2% of revenue share in 2023
- The skincare segment accounted for the most considerable market growth and contributed over 41.3% of the total revenue share in 2023
- The synthetic segment revealed the most significant market growth, contributing more than 63.7% of the total revenue share in 2023
- The hypermarkets/supermarkets segment accounts for the most significant revenue of 39.4% in 2023
- Unilever stated that they have decreased water usage in their manufacturing sites by 49% per ton of production since 2008. L’Oréal has committed to lower water consumption per finished product by 60% by 2020 compared to their usage in 2005
Waterless Cosmetics Market Size, 2023 To 2032 (USD Billion)
Waterless Cosmetics Market: Regional Overview
In 2023, Asia Pacific is accounted for the largest market of Waterless Cosmeticss with 41.2% of revenue share. With a population of over 4.6 billion people and a growing middle class, this region's demand for cosmetics and personal care products is on the rise. One of the key factors driving the growth of the Waterless Cosmetics market in the Asia Pacific is the increasing awareness about sustainability and environmental concerns. Consumers are becoming more conscious about the impact of their choices on the environment and, therefore, opting for Waterless Cosmetics products with a lower carbon footprint. Additionally, the water scarcity in many parts of the Asia Pacific region contributes to the adoption of Waterless Cosmetics products. By eliminating the need for water in the production and use of cosmetics, these products help conserve water resources and reduce wastage. The rising disposable income and changing lifestyles of consumers in the Asia Pacific also drive the demand for Waterless Cosmeticss. As consumers become more health-conscious and seek products that align with their values, they increasingly opt for natural and organic cosmetic products free from harmful chemicals and preservatives.
North America is predicted to be the fastest market growth. This is due to growing environmental concerns, rising demand for convenient & sustainable products, and changing consumer preferences. The Waterless Cosmetics market is surging due to heightened awareness of environmental issues. Traditional cosmetics with high water content contribute to resource-intensive production and significant waste. Choosing waterless options allows consumers to reduce water consumption and minimize environmental impact. The demand for convenient and sustainable products, often found in solid or powder forms, has driven market growth. Waterless Cosmeticss reduce packaging waste, have a longer shelf life, and align with changing consumer preferences for natural and organic ingredients. Lush Cosmetics in North America, known for its waterless products like solid shampoos, exemplifies this trend by minimizing packaging waste and eliminating the need for plastic bottles.
U.S. Waterless Cosmetics Market Overview
The U.S. Waterless Cosmetics Market is valued at USD 2.06 Billion in 2023 and is projected to reach a value around USD 4.65 Billion by 2032 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 10.7% between 2024 and 2032. The desire for portable and travel-friendly beauty products as well as increasing consumer awareness of environmental sustainability and water conservation are some of the factors contributing to this growth. Leading companies like Lush Cosmetics and Ethique have introduced cutting-edge waterless formulations, giving consumers access to a variety of waterless solutions that support their personal care practices and solve environmental issues. For instance, Ethique specializes in solid beauty bars for various skincare and haircare needs. Ethique's products are handmade, 100% vegan, and free from plastic packaging, allowing consumers to reduce their plastic waste. They estimate that since their inception in 2012, they have prevented over 10 million plastic bottles from being manufactured and disposed off.
The global Waterless Cosmetics market can be categorized as Product, Nature, Distribution Channel, and Region.
By Distribution Channel
- Convenience Stores
- Specialty Stores
- Departmental Stores
- Online Retail
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Procter & Gamble
- Kao Corporation
- Pinch of Colour
- Taiki USA
- Ruby’s Organics
- Carter + Jane
- VAPOUR BEAUTY
- Allies Group Pte. Ltd.
|Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
|Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options
Waterless Cosmetics Market: Product Overview
In 2023, the skincare segment accounted for the most considerable market growth and contributed over 41.3% of the total revenue share. Based on Product, the Waterless Cosmetics market is sub segmented into Skincare, Haircare, Makeup, and Others. Waterless skincare products offer convenience and ease of use, making them suitable for travel or on-the-go applications. The absence of water also eliminates the need for preservatives, enabling brands to create more travel-friendly formats like solid or powdered skincare products. One example is the travel-friendly solid facial oils from Herbivore Botanicals. Waterless skincare products do not contain water, so they have a longer shelf life than traditional skincare products. This can appeal to consumers who prefer products with a more extended expiry date. For instance, the waterless skincare brand Youth To The People offers a range of powdered cleansers and masks with a longer shelf life than their water-based counterparts. Furthermore, waterless skincare offerings are gaining popularity with the increasing demand for natural and clean beauty products. Waterless products often utilize plant-based ingredients without synthetic preservatives or emulsifiers. For example, the waterless moisturizer balm from Biossance is made with sustainably sourced plant-based ingredients without compromising performance.
Waterless Cosmetics Market: Nature Overview
The synthetic segment revealed the most significant market growth, contributing more than 63.7% of the total revenue share in 2023. Based on Nature, the Waterless Cosmetics market is divided into Synthetic and Organic. The synthetic segment of the Waterless Cosmetics market is experiencing continuous innovations in formulation and technology. Manufacturers are developing new synthetic ingredients with improved benefits and performance in Waterless Cosmeticss. For example, synthetic polymers like acrylates in waterless face creams provide long-lasting hydration without water. In addition, the waterless nature of synthetic cosmetics makes them highly convenient and portable for on-the-go use. Consumers increasingly seek products that fit their fast-paced lifestyles and can be easily carried in their bags or during travel. For example, synthetic waterless makeup wipes or solid perfumes are convenient alternatives to traditional liquid-based products. Furthermore, water is a breeding ground for microbial growth in cosmetics, which can lead to product spoilage and health concerns. Synthetic Waterless Cosmeticss have a longer shelf-life and reduced risk of microbial contamination compared to water-based products. For example, synthetic oil-based serums or powders have a longer shelf-life and are more stable in storage.
Waterless Cosmetics Market: Distribution Channel Overview
In 2023, the hypermarkets/supermarkets segment has the most significant revenue of 39.4%. Customers can discover and buy products during regular purchases owing to this channel's quick access to various Waterless Cosmeticss. By Distribution Channel, the Waterless Cosmetics market is classified into Wholesalers/Distributors, Hypermarkets/Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Specialty Stores, Departmental Stores, Online Retail, and Others. Supermarkets and hypermarkets have a critical role in satisfying the growing consumer demand for sustainable beauty solutions by providing a wide range of Waterless Cosmetics options and helping to make eco-conscious beauty products more widely accessible and widely adopted. In addition, hypermarkets and supermarkets are widely accessible and convenient for consumers. With Waterless Cosmetics products, customers can easily buy these items alongside their daily grocery shopping. For example, a waterless skincare brand can benefit by ensuring its products are placed in prominent areas of the beauty section in hypermarkets. Eye-catching displays and attractive packaging can encourage impulse purchases. Furthermore, hypermarkets and supermarkets often collaborate with brands for exclusive product launches or limited-edition ranges. Waterless Cosmetics brands can take advantage of such opportunities to enhance their visibility and create a sense of exclusivity.
- Consumers are actively pursuing eco-friendly options and favoring waterless cosmetics. Brands like Lush Cosmetics have tapped this demand by offering water-free products like shampoo bars and solid body washes, packaged without plastic, attracting a dedicated base of environmentally conscious customers.
- The increasing concern for depleting global water resources has sparked a greater interest in water-saving products. Waterless Cosmeticss, like OWA Haircare's solid shampoo and conditioner bars, are designed to reduce water consumption, making them ideal for individuals residing in water-scarce regions or those committed to conserving water.
- Manufacturers are focusing on research and development to develop waterless formulations by incorporating alternative natural ingredients and advanced delivery systems, such as Yuni Beauty, which offers skincare and body care products without water, using organic plant extracts and essential oils for hydration and nourishment.
- Waterless Cosmeticss were once niche but are now widely available, with brands like Pacifica Beauty offering a range of waterless products in physical stores and online platforms. Solid perfumes, facial cleansing bars, and oil-to-milk cleansers are among their popular offerings.
According to the insights provided by the International Natural and Organic Cosmetics Association (NATRUE), the typical composition of beauty products includes a substantial amount of water, ranging from 60% to 85%. This water content is notably higher in products like shampoo and conditioner, designed to be rinsed off after application. The significance of this lies in the fact that clean water is a finite resource, with approximately 4 billion people across the globe facing severe water scarcity for at least one month per year, as reported by UN-Water. The implications of water scarcity have prompted a shift in consumer behavior within the beauty industry. A survey conducted by Cosmetics Business sheds light on this transformation, revealing that 57% of respondents have actively chosen to purchase waterless beauty products and express a willingness to continue doing so. Moreover, the survey underscores a strong demand for innovation in this realm, as more than 90% of participants expressed a desire to see additional advancements in waterless beauty products. Additionally, 85% of respondents believe the waterless sector is on the verge of becoming a mainstream trend in the beauty industry. This indicates a growing awareness and acceptance of sustainable alternatives within the consumer base, signaling a potential shift in the beauty industry landscape.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
Track market trends LIVE & outsmart rivals with our Premium Data Intel Tool: Vantage Point
Economic changes have played a role in the growth of the Waterless Cosmetics market. The global economic downturn and increasing consumer spending power have contributed to the rise in demand for eco-friendly products. Consumers are willing to pay more for things that are in line with their ideals as there is a growing emphasis on sustainability. Economic changes have also impacted the supply chain for Waterless Cosmeticss. Manufacturers and suppliers have had to adapt to meet the growing demand for waterless products. This includes sourcing and using alternative ingredients and developing new manufacturing processes. According to sources, ingredients utilized 78.5% Neroli Hydrosol as the main ingredient in its face cleanser, replacing water. The product's innovative blend of Hydrosol, Neroli essential oil, Selaginella Lepidophylla extract, Aloe extract, and probiotics has sparked a growing demand in the Waterless Cosmetics market. Additionally, companies are spending money on research and development activities to create effective formulations without water use. The Waterless Cosmetics market is not limited to a specific region; it has gained popularity worldwide. Countries with water scarcity issues, such as India and parts of Africa, have been early adopters of Waterless Cosmeticss. However, the market has also seen significant growth in developed countries with high consumer awareness of environmental issues.
In the Waterless Cosmeticss market, significant companies drive innovation and change the industry through innovative partnerships and investments. For example, L'Oréal Groupe and Cosmo International Fragrances have developed a groundbreaking extraction process called Green Sciences. This process uses no water and low energy, allowing for the creation of fragrances with 100% natural extracts. This unique technology preserves the quality of ingredients and provides a luxurious, authentic experience for consumers. Vantage Personal Care® has introduced Jeesperse® NoLo, a self-emulsifying base for water-free hair care products. This aligns with the industry's sustainability goals and allows for creating eco-friendly hair care formulations. Kao Corporation has responded to changing consumer habits by launching dry shampoos, including a unique shampoo sheet concept inspired by space. These products cater to on-the-go use and address the increasing demand for hygiene-conscious products. Overall, the competitive landscape of the Waterless Cosmetics market is dynamic and constantly evolving, with companies utilizing technology, sustainability, and consumer trends to shape the future of the industry.
The players in the global Waterless Cosmetics market include L’Oréal, Procter & Gamble, Unilever, Kao Corporation, Pinch of Colour, Taiki USA, Loli, Clensta, Ruby’s Organics, Ktein, Carter + Jane, VAPOUR BEAUTY, Allies Group Pte. Ltd. among others.
Recent Market Developments
- In November 2023, L'Oréal Group has announced a unique collaboration with Cosmo International Fragrances to introduce a groundbreaking extraction technique based on Green Sciences. This partnership aims to revolutionize the way fine fragrances are created. The innovative technology, developed by Cosmo International Fragrances and exclusively offered to L'Oréal, is a patent-pending method that extracts the precise scent of an ingredient without using water or consuming much energy.
- In September 2023, Savant, which is known for investing in new and innovative ideas, has recently made an investment in The Stellenbosch Nanofiber Company (SNC). SNC, a company known for its advancements in developing and manufacturing nanofiber products, is now using their nanofiber technology to bring innovation to the beauty industry.
- In March 2023, Vantage Personal Care®, a well-known international provider of naturally sourced specialty ingredients and formulations for various personal care products like skincare, hair care, sun care, and color cosmetics, introduced a new line of self-emulsifying bases called Jeesperse® NoLo specifically designed for hair care applications.