The global Marine Battery Market is valued at USD 0.5 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 1.9 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 21.30% between 2023 and 2030.
Marine batteries offer significant fuel savings compared to traditional diesel engines used in maritime shipping. The majority of long-distance goods transportation will still be handled by maritime shipping in the years to come. By 2030, 70% of all freight will be transported via maritime means, according to the ITF transport outlook published by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). In addition, the market is seeing important advancements in battery technology, like the creation of lithium-ion batteries. These marine batteries are lightweight, more efficient than lead-acid batteries, and can last up to ten times longer. The batteries provide various advantages such as longer durations, improved safety, higher discharge rates, and required less maintenance. The lithium marine batteries have a lifecycle from 3000 to 5000 cycles. Furthermore, the market is experiencing growth due to heightened emphasis from Original equipment manufacturers (OEM) on creating marine batteries that are lightweight, possess high power, are compact in size, and offer extended operational durations. For instance, in March 2022, RELiON Battery, a manufacturer specializing in lithium batteries, introduced its InSight Series 12V battery. This innovation caters to boat and vessel owners by enabling them to operate more appliances for extended periods while off-grid.
Marine Battery Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
- The increase in trade activities and the growing tourism industry are driving the demand for marine vessels. As a result, there is an increased need for reliable and efficient power sources, like marine batteries, to operate these vessels.
- Among the battery type segment, the lithium-ion battery segment holds a significant market share, accounting for around 36.74% of market revenue in 2022.
- The fully electric category among the propulsion type segment dominates the Marine Battery market with a market share of 24.2% in 2022
- In 2022, the commercial segment dominated the market, accounting for around 46.3% of global revenue
- OEM in the sales channel segment dominated the market with a global revenue share of 46.8% in 2022
- By design, the flow batteries segment held the largest market share of around 38.56% in 2022
- The Asia-Pacific region dominates the Marine Battery market, accounting for more than 43% of the total market share, followed by Europe and North America.
Top Market Trends
- Marine applications are seeing a rise in demand for renewable energy sources like wind and solar power due to growing environmental sustainability concerns. To store and use this clean energy, there has been a rise in the demand for marine batteries.
- There is a gradual shift towards electrification of marine vessels, including ferries, cruise ships, and fishing boats, to reduce emissions and improve efficiency. Advanced marine batteries that can supply reliable and efficient power for propulsion and onboard systems are in high demand as a result of this trend.
- Due to their high energy density, prolonged lifespan, and quick charging capabilities, lithium-ion batteries are becoming more and more popular in the Marine Battery market. These batteries offer improved performance and efficiency compared to traditional lead-acid batteries, leading to their growing adoption in various marine applications.
- The demand for hybrid and electric boats is rising due to their lower operating costs, reduced emissions, and noise pollution. As a result, the Marine Battery market is expected to witness significant growth as these vessels require advanced batteries to provide reliable power for extended durations.
- Continuous research and development efforts in marine battery technology have led to the introduction of more efficient and durable batteries. Advancements such as improved energy storage capabilities, enhanced safety features, and increased lifespan are driving the growth of the Marine Battery market.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
Rising clean energy demand and expanding use of electric propulsion systems in the marine industry are two economic factors propelling the growth of the Marine Battery market. Marine batteries are seen as a good substitute for conventional fossil fuel-powered systems, given the rising environmental pollution concerns and the need for sustainable energy solutions. Additionally, advancements in battery technology and the declining cost of lithium-ion batteries have made them more attractive for marine applications. The U.S. government, through various agencies, has provided funding and grants for research and development of marine battery technologies. For example, the Office of Naval Research has invested in projects focused on advancing battery systems for naval applications. On the other hand, economic factors restraining the Marine Battery market growth include the high initial investment required for purchasing and installing battery systems, as well as the limited availability of charging infrastructure in certain regions. Moreover, the uncertain economic conditions and fluctuating raw material prices could also hinder the market's growth.
The globel Marine Battery market can be categorized into Application, Battery Type, Sales Channel, Design, Region. The Market can be categorized into Commercial, Defense, Unmaned, Others based on Application. The Market can be categorized into Lithium-ion, Nickel Cadmium, Sodium, Fuel-Cell, Flooded, Gel, Lead-acid, Other Battery Types based on Battery Type. The Market can be categorized into OEM, Aftermarket based on Sales Channel. The Market can be categorized into Solid State Batteries, Flow Batteries based on Design. The Market can be categorized into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa based on Region.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on the Battery Type
Lithium-ion batteries offer High Energy Density, Longer Lifespan, and Faster Charging Compared to Other Battery Types.
Lithium-ion dominates the battery type segment in the Marine Battery market due to its numerous advantages. Lithium-ion batteries offer high energy density, longer lifespan, and faster charging compared to other battery types. These batteries also have a lower self-discharge rate and are lightweight, making them suitable for marine applications. Moreover, lithium-ion batteries do not require frequent maintenance, providing cost-effectiveness to users. As a result, they are widely preferred in the marine industry for powering boats, yachts, and other watercraft.
Based on the Propulsion Type
Fully Electric Propulsion Systems Offer Zero Emissions, Reduced Noise, and Lower Operational Costs
Fully electric dominates the propulsion type segment in the Marine Battery market, primarily driven by the growing demand for environmentally friendly alternatives to traditional combustion-powered engines. Fully electric propulsion systems offer zero emissions, reduced noise, and lower operational costs, making them ideal for marine applications. These systems utilize electric motors powered by batteries to drive watercraft, eliminating the need for fossil fuels. The adoption of fully electric propulsion in the marine industry is expected to rise significantly as the focus on sustainability and reducing carbon footprint intensifies.
Based on the Application
Commercial Segments Have a Massive Impact on Global Trade and Transportation Systems.
Commercial dominates the application segment of the Marine Battery market. Commercial applications include shipping vessels, ferries, cruise ships, and offshore energy units. These segments have a massive impact on global trade and transportation systems. The adoption of marine batteries in commercial applications is driven by the need for efficient and reliable power sources, cost savings, and compliance with stringent environmental regulations. Additionally, the commercial sector often involves longer voyages, making the energy storage capacity of marine batteries crucial for sustained operations.
Based on the Sales Channel
OEMs Guarantee Seamless Integration and Optimized Performance of Battery Systems
OEM dominates the sales channel segment of the Marine Battery market. Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) are specialized suppliers that provide complete battery solutions to boat manufacturers and retrofitting businesses. These OEMs offer tailored battery systems that meet the specific requirements of marine applications, including size, capacity, and safety features. OEMs guarantee seamless integration and optimized performance of battery systems within the vessels by working closely with boat manufacturers. The knowledge and assistance provided by OEMs are crucial in promoting marine battery sales.
Based on the Design
Flow Batteries Design Allows for Quick Refueling
Flow batteries dominate the design segment in the Marine Battery market. Flow batteries have gained popularity in the marine industry due to their unique design and advantages. Unlike conventional batteries, flow batteries store energy in separate tanks of liquid electrolyte, allowing for higher energy capacity and longer operating hours. This design allows for quick refueling by replacing the discharged electrolyte with a charged electrolyte, making flow batteries suitable for extended voyages or demanding marine applications. The inherent scalability and modularity of flow battery systems make them an attractive choice for meeting the diverse energy needs of marine vessels.
Based on Region
The Asia Pacific Marine Battery market has Witnessed Significant Developments in Recent Years.
The Asia Pacific region, particularly China, has emerged as the largest market for marine batteries due to significant developments in this sector. China has been actively investing in renewable energy sources, with a focus on developing electric vessels to mitigate pollution and reduce carbon emissions in its coastal waters. The country's advancements in electric ferry technology, such as the Guangzhou Shipyard International's fully electric passenger ship with a 7,500 kWh energy capacity, have set the standard for marine battery innovation. The Asia Pacific Marine Battery market has witnessed significant developments in recent years, with the region leading the way in advancements related to energy storage solutions for maritime applications. One notable development is the rise of lithium-ion batteries, which have gained popularity due to their higher energy density and longer lifespan compared to traditional lead-acid batteries. For instance, Corvus Energy, a leading provider of marine energy storage systems, supplied its lithium-ion batteries to Tallink Grupp's new shuttle ferry, MyStar. This collaboration allowed the vessel to achieve zero-emission operation during port stays, reducing greenhouse gas emissions and enhancing overall operational efficiency. Similarly, Kokam, a South Korean battery manufacturer, supplied its high-energy nickel manganese cobalt (NMC) oxide lithium-ion batteries to the world's first all-electric tourist boat, the "City of Paris" in France. These developments highlight the region's commitment to sustainable marine solutions and the growing importance of reliable energy storage in the Asia Pacific market.
As the maritime industry prioritizes using renewable energy sources and reducing emissions, the competitive landscape of the Marine Battery market is rapidly changing. Companies like Corvus Energy, Exide Technologies, Saft, East Penn Manufacturing Co., and Panasonic Corporation are significant players in this market. These businesses are constantly working to improve their battery technologies, increase the amount of energy they can store, and lower their costs. Corvus Energy, a top supplier of energy storage systems for maritime applications, has worked with significant shipbuilding firms to incorporate their battery solutions into new vessels, effectively lowering carbon emissions. The competition in the Marine Battery market is growing as a result of the rising demand for sustainable energy solutions, driving businesses to develop and deliver more innovative, dependable, and efficient battery solutions.
The key players in the global Marine Battery market include - Johnson Controls Inc., Exide Technologies, Northstar Battery Company, East Penn Manufacturing Co., EnerSys, Trojan Battery Company, Crown Battery Manufacturing Company, Rolls Battery Engineering, GS Yuasa Corporation and Saft Group S.A. among others.
Recent Market Developments
- In June 2022, Seanergy 2.0, a new lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery system for fully electric and hybrid ships, was introduced by Saft, a TotalEnergies subsidiary. The marine battery can assist ship operators in lowering their fuel costs, CO2 and NOx emissions, and air pollution without compromising performance or being overly expensive.
- In July 2022, A framework agreement for strategic cooperation was signed by Contemporary Amperex Technology Co., Limited (CATL) and the Chengdu Municipal Government. The two parties will work together extensively in the areas of battery swap operations, research and development, comprehensive resource utilization, production of essential materials for batteries, new energy, and energy storage.
- In January 2022, Vision Marine Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: VMAR) ("Vision Marine" or the "Company"), the industry pioneer in the electric transformation of the recreational boating sector, serving OEMs and end users, teamed up with Octillion Power Systems ("Octillion") to create a specialized high voltage 35 KW high-density battery designed solely for use in the recreational boating market.
Segmentation of the Global Marine Battery Market
- Application (Commercial, Defense, Unmaned, Others)
- Battery Type (Lithium-ion, Nickel Cadmium, Sodium, Fuel-Cell, Flooded, Gel, Lead-acid, Other Battery Types)
- Sales Channel (OEM, Aftermarket)
- Design (Solid State Batteries, Flow Batteries)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Johnson Controls Inc.
- Exide Technologies
- Northstar Battery Company
- East Penn Manufacturing Co.
- Trojan Battery Company
- Crown Battery Manufacturing Company
- Rolls Battery Engineering
- GS Yuasa Corporation and Saft Group S.A.
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options