Food Preservatives Market
Food Preservatives Market - Global Industry Assessment & Forecast
- By Application Meat, Poultry, & Seafood Products, Beverages, Confectionery, Bakery Products, Snacks, Dairy & Frozen Products, Fats & Oils, Other Applications
- By Function Antimicrobials, Antioxidants, Other Functions
- By Type Synthetic Preservatives, Natural Preservatives
- By Region North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa
|Forecast Years:||2023 - 2030|
|Historical Years:||2017 - 2021|
|Revenue 2022:||USD 3.1 Billion|
|Revenue 2030:||USD 3.86 Billion|
|Revenue CAGR (2023 - 2030):||3.2%|
|Fastest Growing Region (2023 - 2030)||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Region (2022):||North America|
- Cross-segment Market Size and Analysis for Mentioned Segments
- Additional Company Profiles (Upto 5 With No Cost)
- Additional Countries (Apart From Mentioned Countries)
- Country/Region-specific Report
- Go To Market Strategy
- Region Specific Market Dynamics
- Region Level Market Share
- Import Export Analysis
- Production Analysis
- Others Request Customization Speak To Analyst
GPT is here !!! Ask questions about Food Preservatives Market
The global Food Preservatives Market was valued at USD 3.1 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 3.86 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 3.2% between 2023 and 2030.
Preservatives are substances added to foods during processing to increase stability and prevent deterioration. Depending on the need, they are added in minute quantities to various forms of food. Historically, salt, sugar, and spices were utilized to preserve flesh and other types of food. Food Preservatives inhibit or delay food spoilage by inhibiting or delaying the development of microorganisms. According to their level of toxicity, they are categorized as non-toxic or moderately toxic. The processing of non-toxic preservatives is permitted, whereas moderately toxic preservatives are regulated by relevant regulatory bodies such as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) and identified by the appropriate index (INS or E) number. Snacks, confections, confectionary items, and dairy, meat, and poultry products are preserved with Food Preservatives.
Food Preservatives Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
The global demand for these products is increasing due to several factors, including a shift in consumer lifestyle, a surge in imports and exports, a growing preference for fresh products, and a greater propensity of consumers to pay a premium price. Snacks, confections, confectionary items, and dairy, meat, and poultry products are preserved with Food Preservatives. The global demand for these products is increasing due to several factors, including a shift in consumer lifestyle, a surge in imports and exports, a growing preference for fresh products, and a greater propensity of consumers to pay a premium price. As global demand for processed food increases, the correlation between Food Preservatives and processed food markets propels the market's expansion. The demand for Food Preservatives has increased as more food industries employ them. The antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of these Food Preservatives are necessary for the food industry to extend the shelf life of products and prevent microorganisms from acting inappropriately.
Sorbate, for instance, is believed to be an effective food preservative when used in a clean environment and in products manufactured using sound manufacturing practices. Sorbates are frequently used to extend the shelf life of processed foods and beverages. In addition, they are used to create sausages, yogurt, cheese, and cakes, among many other things. Sorbates inhibit the growth of microorganisms of various classes, species, strains, substrate properties, and environmental factors. In addition, regulatory agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration, the Food and Agriculture Organization, and the European Food Safety Authority have issued guidelines stating that potassium sorbate is "generally regarded as safe" and that the preservative does not accumulate and passes through the organism.
The ongoing conflict between Russia and Ukraine affects the import and export of space and technology, which has economic and national security implications. Worst of all, the Russia-Ukraine conflict has revealed the exceptional military advantages of commercial space systems, making them probable targets for belligerents and possibly necessitating countermeasures, or at least consideration, on the part of the private companies that control them.
Top Market Trends
- Rising Sales of Clean Labels: The market is propelled by the increasing demand for clean label solutions, the prevalence of processed and packaged foods, and the complexity of the food industry's supply chain. The market for Food Preservatives will likely be driven by the expansion of organized retail, particularly in emergent markets. The two main market restraints are consumer awareness of the side effects of synthetic preservatives and the higher cost of natural preservatives (which are in greater demand). Corbion NV, for instance, increased its production of lactic acid and lactic acid-based products in March 2022 by simultaneously working on expansion initiatives in Europe and other regions.
- Increased Focus on Healthy Consumption of Products: The demand for "clean label" foods has increased alongside the demand for natural antioxidants, antimicrobials, and other natural Food Preservatives. Consumers are becoming more health-conscious, preferring products with natural constituents over those with artificial ones. Before purchasing a product, consumers routinely examine the list of constituents. Global consumers expect food products, including meat and poultry, to contain clean-label constituents. This growing consumer concern is driving them much further down the value chain, back to the ingredients, and driving up the demand for natural Food Preservatives. The manufacturers of Food Preservatives have also adapted the production of clean-label additives that can aid in creating clean-label products. These preservatives with clean labels are used in various culinary products and other applications. Consequently, food and beverage manufacturers are increasingly reformulating their products to satisfy consumers' shifting demand for natural ingredients. Millbo, an Italian company, was nominated for the Fi Europe Innovation Award 2021 for developing X-Tra Guard, a natural ingredient that eliminates the need for sorbic acid preservatives.
The global Food Preservatives market can be categorized on the following: Application, Function, Type, and Region. Based on the Application, the market can be categorized into Meat, Poultry & Seafood Products, Beverages, Confectionery, Bakery Products, Snacks, Dairy & Frozen Products, Fats & Oils, and Other Applications. Additionally, based on Function, the market can be segmented further into Antimicrobials, Antioxidants, and Other Functions. Furthermore, based on Type, the market can be split between Synthetic and Natural Preservatives. Likewise, based on Region, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Application
Meat, Poultry, and Seafood Products to Accommodate Largest Market Share due to Increased Consumption
In 2022, meat and poultry represented the greatest revenue share. Globally, the processed meat, poultry, and seafood industries are expanding rapidly, which is anticipated to drive demand over the forecast period. There are numerous applications for Food Preservatives, including confectionary, meat and poultry, seafood, beverages, confectionery, oils and fats, and dairy and frozen products. Bakery products have a short shelf life due to microbiological spoilage, which causes economic loss and degrades the quality of the edible product. In bakery applications, lemongrass, cinnamon, and thyme essential oils have emerged as an attractive natural alternative.
Based on Function
Antimicrobials to Account for Largest Market Share Owing to Rising Integration into Cheese, Cake, and Bread
Anti-microbial preservatives dominate the global market, followed by anti-oxidants. In the United States, sorbates, benzoates, and other antimicrobial preservatives are generally considered safe (GRAS). In cheese, cake, bread, and other baked and confectionery products, sodium propionate and calcium propionate are used as mold inhibitors. Extracts of rosemary and edible oils are microbial agents derived from plants or animals. These contain metabolites that inhibit microorganisms' growth, including staphylococcus aureus, Aeromonas hydrophila, salmonella, and E. coli.
Based on Type
Synthetic Preservatives to Sell Globally at a Larger Pace Due to Its Inexpensive Nature
The synthetic variety is extensively utilized because it is inexpensive and simple to formulate. Due to their pervasive use in meat, poultry, and dairy products, sorbates held the largest market share in value among all chemical types in 2022. In addition to nitrites, propionates, and benzoates, nitrites, propionates, and benzoates are extensively used synthetic types. Sorbates, benzoates, and propionates are frequently combined to enhance their efficacy. Propionates are gaining popularity due to their higher permissible limit and applications, including preservation at higher pH, baked goods, snacks, and other sweets. Natural preservatives are in greater demand due to regulatory agencies' endorsement of their use in processing and consumers' growing health consciousness. During the forecast period, the natural products segment is anticipated to hold a significant share due to consumer preference for clean-label products. Numerous manufacturers are implementing new formulation processes to produce organic products to meet the demand for clean labels.
Based on Region
North America to Maximize its Revenue Owing to Rising Commercialization of International Food Products
Manufacturers are using Food Preservatives to extend the storage life of food products in response to the rising demand for processed and convenient foods. In addition, North America is a significant exporter of fruits, which increases the demand for preservatives. Awareness of several dangers associated with chemical preservatives has propelled the natural preservatives market. North America has stringent policies regarding the commercialization of food products and ingredients. These regulations have provided manufacturers with lucrative growth opportunities to introduce novel preservatives with minimal or no adverse effects on human health. As part of their strategy, the companies invest substantial resources in developing techniques to produce preservatives with more natural constituents than synthetic ones. In 2021, for instance, Corbion NV was granted a European patent for its fruit ferment, which contains natural organic acid and other flavor components and has a wide range of applications in the food industry, such as in the bakery industry. The scope of this patent is expanded to the United States.
The Food & Beverage industry contributes the most to market expansion in Europe. Europe's food and beverage exports are increasing significantly, with the U.S., China, Canada, Australia, Saudi Arabia, and Japan being the leading destinations. Meat, marine, dairy products, and beverages such as spirits, soft drinks, and dairy products are the most commonly exported goods. Increasing food exports from Europe are anticipated to increase the demand for Food Preservatives required to extend shelf life during transit.
A significant number of synthetic preservatives manufacturers dominated the market. Due to the increasing demand for organic preservatives, the market has seen new entrants establish themselves. Several international producers include ADM, BASF SE, and Celanese Corporation. Natural food products are experiencing a progressive increase in demand as consumer health consciousness and willingness to pay for premium products rise. As a consequence, a significant number of natural food manufacturers have entered the market, intensifying competition. Global manufacturers of natural Food Preservatives include Royal DSM N.V., Galactic S.A., and Kemin Industries, Inc. New entrants such as Kemin Industries, Inc. and Galactic S.A., are competing by introducing new products formulated from a variety of natural sources, such as vinegar and rosemary extracts, and manufactured using innovative techniques.
The key players in the global Food Preservatives market include - Cargill Inc. (U.S.), Kemin Industries Inc. (U.S.), Tate & Lyl (UK), Koninklijke DSM N.V. (Netherlands), BASF SE (Germany), Celanese Corp. (U.S.), Corbion NV (Netherlands), Galactic SA (Belgium), Kerry (Ireland) among others.
Recent Market Developments
- June 2022: Kemin Industries, Inc. introduced RUBINITE GC Dry as a replacement for sodium nitrite as a new food preservative. According to the company, RUBINITE is a natural alternative that can be used as a food preservative, providing the highest microbiological protection and preserving product stability. In addition, Kemin Industries plans to incorporate it into processed meat products such as sausages and hot dogs.
- March 2022: DSM launched DelvoGuardcultures, which targets producers seeking clean-label solutions and provides them with a solution to extend the shelf life of their yogurt, fresh cheese, and sour cream.
- August 2021: Conagen, Inc. introduced p-Coumaric Acid (PCA), a natural and clean-label preservative produced through fermentation.
Segmentation of the Global Food Preservatives Market
|Regions & Countries Covered||
|Report Coverage||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19 impact analysis|
Frequently Asked Question
What is the global demand for Food Preservatives in terms of revenue?
The global Food Preservatives valued at USD 3.1 Billion in 2022 and is expected to reach USD 3.86 Billion in 2030 growing at a CAGR of 3.2%.
Which are the prominent players in the market?
The prominent players in the market are Cargill Inc. (U.S.), Kemin Industries Inc. (U.S.), Tate & Lyl (UK), Koninklijke DSM N.V. (Netherlands), BASF SE (Germany), Celanese Corp. (U.S.), Corbion NV (Netherlands), Galactic SA (Belgium), Kerry (Ireland).
At what CAGR is the market projected to grow within the forecast period?
The market is project to grow at a CAGR of 3.2% between 2023 and 2030.
What are the driving factors fueling the growth of the market.
The driving factors of the Food Preservatives include
- Growing demand for food products with an extended shelf life
Which region accounted for the largest share in the market?
North America was the leading regional segment of the Food Preservatives in 2022.