The global Food Enzymes Market is valued at USD 2.3 Million in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 3.5 Million by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 6.6% between 2023 and 2030.
The global food enzymes market has witnessed remarkable growth in recent years, driven by increasing consumer demand for processed and convenience foods. These natural proteins play a pivotal role in enhancing the quality, texture, and nutritional value of various food products. However, the market has faced its fair share of challenges, including the unprecedented impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. This article provides premium insights into the global food enzymes market, taking into account the effects of COVID-19 and other factors shaping its trajectory.
The COVID-19 pandemic has left a mixed impact on the food enzymes market. Initially, disruptions in the supply chain and manufacturing processes hindered market growth. However, as consumer behavior shifted towards healthier and functional foods, new opportunities emerged. Heightened awareness of food safety and hygiene has led to an increased demand for enzyme-based products, particularly those with natural preservation properties. Additionally, the pandemic has significantly accelerated the adoption of e-commerce platforms, enabling manufacturers to reach consumers directly and promote their enzyme-based offering. Consumers today are increasingly seeking clean label and natural food ingredients due to concerns about artificial additives and preservatives. In response, food enzymes have gained traction as a preferred choice for manufacturers aiming to meet these demands.
Rapid advancements in enzyme technology have opened up new avenues for innovation and product development. Manufacturers are now heavily investing in research and development to develop novel enzymes that cater to specific applications. For example, enzymes that facilitate gluten-free baking, dairy processing, and meat tenderization have gained attention. Moreover, enzyme engineering techniques such as protein engineering and genetic modification have subsequently led to the production of highly efficient and specialized enzymes.
Food Enzymes Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Million)
The food enzymes market operates under stringent regulations to ensure product safety and consumer health. Regulatory bodies namely the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) have established guidelines for the safe use of enzymes in food applications. Compliance with these regulations presents a challenge for manufacturers, necessitating investment in research and development, as well as rigorous testing and documentation procedures. Adhering to regulatory standards is critical for market players to gain consumer trust and maintain a competitive edge. The global food enzymes market is poised for significant growth as consumer preferences continue to shift towards clean label and natural food ingredients.
The food enzymes market, like other industries, has faced supply chain disruptions caused by events such as natural disasters, political instability, or global pandemic.Disruptions in the supply chain have lead to shortages of raw materials, transportation delays, and increased costs for manufacturers. The food enzymes market is influenced by regulations related to food safety, labeling, and permissible enzyme usage in different countries. Changes in regulations can impact the market by affecting product formulations and manufacturing practices. Consumers are increasingly seeking products with clean labels and sustainable sourcing, which has prompted food manufacturers to explore enzyme solutions to replace certain chemical additives. This trend has driven the demand for food enzymes derived from natural sources and produced through sustainable processes.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Competitive benchmarking
- Historical data & forecasts
- Company revenue shares
- Regional opportunities
- Latest trends & dynamics
- Power BI Report (Dashboard)
Top Market Trends
The global food enzymes market is all set to experience a significant growth in the upcoming years, driven by various market trends.
1. Increasing demand for processed food: One of the major drivers of the food enzymes market is the significantly increasing demand for processed and packaged food products. Enzymes play a crucial role in food processing, especially in breaking down complex molecules into simpler ones, which makes them easier to digest and enhances flavor.
2. Growing awareness about health and wellness: There is a growing trend among consumers towards healthy and nutritious foods. More and more people are becoming health-conscious, which is leading to the increased use of enzymes in food products that offer health benefits.
3. Shift towards natural ingredients: Consumers are becoming more aware of the harmful health risks that are posed by synthetic food ingredients. As a result, there is a growing liking and trend towards natural ingredients, which is driving the demand for enzymes, as they are derived from natural sources.
4. Rising demand for clean-label products: Clean-label products are foods that contain only natural ingredients and no artificial additives. There is an ever-growing demand for such products, which is driving the growth of the food enzymes market, as they can be used to replace artificial additives.
5. Advancements in enzyme technology: Enzyme technology is evolving rapidly, which is leading to the development of new and innovative enzymes that offer enhanced functionality and performance. This is substantly driving the growth of the food enzymes market, as manufacturers are able to create new food products with improved sensory properties and nutritional value.
6. Growing popularity of fermented foods: Fermented foods are becoming increasingly popular, since they are known to offer a range of health benefits. Enzymes are used in the production of fermented foods, which is propelling the growth of the food enzymes market.
This market is set to continue growing in the upcoming years, driven by various market trends. The continuosly increasing demand for processed as well as packaged food products, growing awareness about health and wellness, shift towards natural ingredients, rising demand for clean-label products, advancements in enzyme technology, and growing popularity of fermented foods are some of the key factors driving this growth.
The global food enzymes market can be categorized on the following: Type, Source, Form, Region, and Application. On the basis of Type, this market is categorized into Carbohydrase, Protease, Lipase, and Others. Additionally, by Source, the market can be split between Microorganisms, Animals, and Plants. Likewise, based on Application, the market is segmented into Bakery, Dairy, Beverages, and Others.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Type
Carbohydrase Enzymes to Hold Dominant Position in the Market
In 2022, carbohydrate enzymes held the dominant market share. These enzymes are used primarily for processing starch and sugars in the food industry. The growing demand for processed food and changing consumer lifestyles is driving the market's growth. The protease enzyme market is anticipated to grow during the forecasted study period owning to the increasing use of this particular enzyme in the production of meat products. Lipases, which are used in dairy applications and baking, are anticipated to grow moderately in the coming years.
Based on Source
Microorganisms-based Enzymes Account for Maximum Market Share
In 2022, microorganisms-based enzymes held a significant market share. These enzymes find wide use in the food industry due to their effectiveness and ease of production. Furthermore, microorganisms-based enzymes are preferred by manufacturers due to their cost-effectiveness. The demand for plant-based enzymes is expected to rise significantly in the upcoming years due to the increasing preference for natural and organic foods.
Based on Application
Beverages Segment to Showcase Highest Growth during Forecast Period
The beverages segment is projected to grow rapidly during this forecast period due to the ever-increasing demand for functional beverages and the focus on reducing sugar content in drinks. The bakery segment is expected to hold a significant share of this market owning to the high demand for baked goods. The dairy segment is anticipated to grow moderately due to the ever-increasing demand for mil and other dairy products and the use of enzymes in their production.
Based on Region
Asia Pacific to Register Maximum Demand owing to Burgeoning Population
The increasing population and changing consumer lifestyles in countries such as India, China, and Indonesia are the primary drivers for the growth of sales of food enzymes in the Asia Pacific region. Furthermore, the adoption of western culture and a surge in the number of fast-food chains have fueled the demand for food enzymes. In North America, the trend of using clean-label ingredients and natural food preservatives is driving the sales of food enzymes. Europe is anticipated to show growth at a relatively moderate pace due to the demand for organic foods and clean-label ingredients.
The global food enzymes market is highly competitive, with numerous international and regional players trying to establish their dominance. Manufacturers concentrate on capacity expansion and research and development for new product development to cater to consumers' demand for healthier and convenient food options. The trend of strategic alliances, mergers, and acquisitions is prevalent in this industry, with major corporations aiming to gain a competitive advantage.
The key players in the global food enzymes market include - Novozymes, DuPont, DSM, BASF, and Chr. Hansen among others.
Recent Market Developments
- August 2022: DSM announced the launch of its new flavor-enhancing enzyme, Maxinvert Ultima L. The enzyme breaks down sucrose into its components: glucose and fructose, which enhances flavor and shelf life, increasing its utility in the juice and soft drink industry.
- June 2022: Novozymes acquired BioAg Alliance, a research and development collaboration with Monsanto Company. This acquisition broadens Novozymes' portfolio of agricultural solutions, which includes seed treatments, inoculants, and biofertilizers, making it a comprehensive biotechnology company.
- March 2022: DuPont introduced its innovative solution, GREATzymes Elite, with improved performance and higher temperature tolerance. This enzyme is mainly used in the production of beer, where it can renovate the brewing process and enhance the sustainability of the brewing industry.
Segmentation of the Global Food Enzymes Market
- Type (Carbohydrates, Proteases, Lipases, Others (Cellulases, Pectinases, & Phytases))
- Source (Microbial, Plant, Animal)
- Application (Beverages, Bakery Products, Dairy Products, Meat Products, Confectionery Products, Others (Sauces, Dressings, & Spreads))
- Form (Lyophilized Powder, Liquid, Other Formulations)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Novozymes (Denmark)
- Aum Enzymes (India)
- BASF SE (Germany)
- Associated British Foods PLC (UK)
- Kerry Group PLC (Ireland)
- Amano Enzyme Co. Ltd. (UK)
- Advanced Enzyme Technologies (India)
- Royal DSM N.V. (Netherlands)
- Dow Chemical Company (U.S.)
- DuPont (U.S.)
- Chr. Hansen Holding A/S (Denmark)
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options