The global Agricultural Microbials Market is valued at USD 6.2 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 16.6 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 15.20% between 2023 and 2030.
The increasing global demand for sustainable farming practices is a major driver of growth in the market. Microbials provide a sustainable alternative to traditional chemical inputs by improving soil fertility, increasing crop yields, and controlling pests and diseases while minimizing harm to the environment. As consumers and regulatory bodies prioritize sustainable and organic food production, farmers are increasingly turning to microbial solutions to meet these demands, which is driving the growth of the market. Concerns about environmental degradation, soil health, and the negative impacts of synthetic chemicals on ecosystems have led to a growing recognition of the important role microbials play in promoting eco-friendly agriculture.
Agricultural Microbials Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
- The shift towards sustainable agriculture aligns with global sustainability goals and highlights the market's role in addressing the urgent challenges of modern farming.
- North America generated more than 40.10% of revenue share in 2022
- Asia Pacific is expected to grow at the quickest rate from 2023 to 2030
- Bacteria segment accounted for the largest market growth. It contributed over 55.5% of the total revenue share in 2022
- Crop Protection segment revealed the most significant market growth, contributing more than 52.2% of the total revenue share in 2022
- Liquid formulation will dominate the market in 2022 with market share of 58.5%
- Foliar Spray will account for largest share of 37.5% in 2022
- Cereals and Grains will dominate the market with market share of 42.2% in 2022
Over the past five years, the market has shown remarkable growth, with an impressive CAGR. This growth is primarily due to the increasing adoption of microbial solutions in modern agriculture. With the rising awareness of microbial benefits and the demand for sustainable agricultural practices, the market is expected to increase tremendously, continuing its upward trajectory. The governments' initiatives to promote organic farming, resulting in increased organic crop areas and higher demand for organic products and biological fertilizers. This, in turn, is expected to decrease the overall usage of chemical fertilizers and reduce crop production costs.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
Top Market Trends
- Increasing demand for organic and sustainable agriculture: In order to utilize fewer synthetic chemicals, microbials are becoming more and more important in conventional agriculture as well as organic farming.
- Growing awareness of the benefits of microbials: Microbials can enhance soil health, boost crop yields, and lessen the impact of pests and diseases.
- Favorable government regulations: The use of microbes in agriculture is encouraged by governments all around the world through subsidies and other incentives.
- Rising demand for biofertilizers: Biofertilizers are products made from microbes that increase agricultural yields and soil fertility. They offer an eco-friendly and sustainable alternative to petrochemical fertilizers.
- Growing popularity of biostimulants: Biostimulants are products made from microbes that aid in the growth and development of plants. They can be utilized to increase crop resilience, quality, and yields.
- Increasing use of microbials for pest and disease control: Microbials can be utilized to control illnesses and pests in a more environmentally responsible and long-lasting manner than synthetic pesticides.
The globel Agricultural Microbials market can be categorized into Type, Function , Formulation , Application Method, Crop Type, Region. The Market can be categorized into Bacteria, Fungi, Protozoa , Virus based on Type. The Market can be categorized into Soil Amendments, Crop Protection based on Function . The Market can be categorized into Liquid , Dry based on Formulation . The Market can be categorized into Foliar Spray, Soil Treatment, Seed Treatment, Others based on Application Method. The Market can be categorized into Cereals and Grains, Oilseeds & Pulses, Fruits & Vegetables, Other Crop Type ( turf & ornamentals, plantation crops, fiber crops, and silage & forage crops) based on Crop Type. The Market can be categorized into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa based on Region.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Type
Bacteria holds the largest share
Bacteria dominates the market because they are abundant in soil and play a crucial role in maintaining soil health and increasing crop productivity. They improve soil fertility, boost crop yields, and reduce susceptibility to pests and diseases. In agriculture, there are several important bacterial players like Rhizobium, Azospirillum, Azotobacter etc.
Based on Function
Crop Protection will dominate the market during Forecast Period
The market is anticipated to be dominated by the Crop Protection segment because it is the environmentally friendly and sustainable alternatives that microbials offer in comparison to synthetic pesticides. Microbials like Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt), Trichoderma harzianum, and Mycorrhizae are becoming more popular due to their ability to specifically target pests and diseases, reducing the risk of harm to beneficial organisms.
Based on Formulation
Liquid formulation will lead the market
liquid formulations are expected to maintain their dominance in the market due to various distinct advantages they offer. Liquid formulations are superior in terms of ease of application, surpassing dry formulations in their ability to evenly distribute. Their excellent solubility ensures that microbes effectively reach plant roots and targeted areas, resulting in faster uptake and quicker action. Additionally, liquid formulations are versatile and can be used for soil drenching, foliar spraying, and seed treatment.
Based on Application
Foliar Spray will account for largest share
Foliar spray will dominate the market due to its remarkable efficacy in delivering microbes to plants. Foliar sprays excel in improving plant nutrition, promoting growth, controlling pests and diseases, and they are preferred by farmers due to their easy implementation and cost-effectiveness. Farmers can seamlessly use their existing spraying equipment without needing to make significant changes to their farming practices.
Based on Crop Type
Cereals and Grains dominates the market in 2022
The cereals and grains segment is expected to continue leading market by crop type due to the widespread cultivation of these crops and their vital contribution to global food security. Microbials play a critical role in improving soil fertility, increasing crop yields, and mitigating pest and disease pressures in cereals and grains. They are also effective controllers of pests and diseases. For instance, Beauveria bassiana fungus fights against aphids and whiteflies, whereas Trichoderma harzianum fungus suppresses soilborne ailments like damping-off and root rot.
Based on Region
North America will lead the market
North America lead the market due to the high level of awareness among farmers in region about the numerous benefits of microbials, such as improving soil health, enhancing crop yields, and controlling pests and diseases. Moreover, the United States and Canada have supportive government regulations that offer subsidies and incentives, further promoting the adoption of microbials in agriculture. Additionally, the region has a well-established distribution network for agricultural microbials, ensuring easy accessibility for farmers.
The global market is characterized by a diverse range of key players, including large international companies, regional and local firms, and startups, all competing for a stake in this rapidly expanding sector. Additionally, research and development efforts are driving innovation, with companies focusing on creating advanced microbial products that are tailored to specific crops and environmental conditions. Market players are also exploring new formulations, delivery methods, and applications to stay competitive and meet the changing needs of modern agriculture, which places increasing importance on environmentally friendly practices and improved crop productivity.
The players in the global market include Certis USA LLC (U.S.), ChemChina (China), Marrone Bio Innovations, Inc. (U.S.), Koppert Biological Systems (Netherlands), Varsha Bioscience and Technology Pvt. Ltd. (India), Andermatt Biocontrol AG (Switzerland), BASF SE (Germany), Sumitomo Chemical Co., Ltd. (Japan), Novozymes (Denmark), Bioceres S.A. (Argentina) among others.
Recent Market Developments
- July 2022: LALFIX® START SPHERICAL Granule, an innovative granular inoculant that combines the power of Bacillus velezensis, a plant growth-promoting microbe, with two different rhizobium strains. With extensive testing, this potent PGPM effectively enhances phosphorus solubilization and enhances root mass for optimal plant growth.
- August 2022: Agronologica has been acquired by Biobest, enabling Biobest to expand their technical expertise, product portfolio, and optimized logistics in Portugal.
Segmentation of the Global Market
- Type (Bacteria, Fungi, Protozoa , Virus)
- Function (Soil Amendments, Crop Protection )
- Formulation (Liquid , Dry)
- Application Method (Foliar Spray, Soil Treatment, Seed Treatment, Others)
- Crop Type (Cereals and Grains, Oilseeds & Pulses, Fruits & Vegetables, Other Crop Type ( turf & ornamentals, plantation crops, fiber crops, and silage & forage crops))
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Certis USA LLC (U.S.)
- ChemChina (China)
- Marrone Bio Innovations Inc. (U.S.)
- Koppert Biological Systems (Netherlands)
- Varsha Bioscience and Technology Pvt. Ltd. (India)
- Andermatt Biocontrol AG (Switzerland)
- BASF SE (Germany)
- Sumitomo Chemical Co. Ltd. (Japan)
- Novozymes (Denmark)
- Bioceres S.A. (Argentina)
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options