The global Wood Preservatives Market is valued at USD 1.40 Billion in 2023 and is projected to reach a value of USD 2.32 Billion by 2032 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 5.2% between 2024 and 2032.
Key Highlights of Wood Preservatives Market
- North America region dominated the market with a revenue share of over 37.2% in 2023
- Asia Pacific is expected to grow at the fastest growth rate during the forecast period
- The water-based segment dominated the market with a revenue share of 74.1% in 2023
- The residential category accounted for a significant portion of market expansion, making up over 66.2% of the overall revenue share in the year 2023
- The globalization of the timber and wood products trade influences the Wood Preservatives market. Companies are looking to expand their presence in emerging markets with growing construction activities
Wood Preservatives Market Size, 2022 To 2032 (USD Billion)
Wood Preservatives Market: Regional Overview
In 2023, the North American Wood Preservatives market experienced notable growth, with 37.2% of the market share. There is a surge in demand for Wood Preservatives in the United States driven by robust construction activities, mainly in the residential and commercial sectors. The growing awareness of the importance of wood protection against decay, insects, and environmental factors has fueled the adoption of Wood Preservatives in various applications.
The Wood Preservatives market in the United States, with a valuation of USD 0.59 Billion in 2023, is estimated to reach around USD 0.64 Billion by 2032. This projection signifies a significant Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 2.6% from 2024 to 2032. Stringent regulations and standards related to environmental protection have also led to a shift towards eco-friendly and sustainable wood preservative solutions in the region. Water-based formulations and alternatives with lower environmental impact have gained prominence. Furthermore, the emphasis on infrastructure development and renovation initiatives in the United States and a booming housing market contribute to an increased demand for Wood Preservatives. The North American segment's growth reflects the region's commitment to preserving wooden structures while embracing environmentally responsible practices in the construction and maintenance sectors.
The global Wood Preservatives market can be categorized as Formulation, Application, and Region.
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Koppers Performance Chemicals
- BASF Wolman GmbH
- Dolphin Bay
- Viance LLC
- Nisus Corporation
- GROUPE BERKEM
- Wykamol Group Ltd.
|Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
|Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options
Wood Preservatives Market: Formulation Overview
In 2023, the water-based category in the global Wood Preservatives market has observed major expansion, with 74.1% of the share. This is due to its eco-friendly nature and reduced environmental impact compared to solvent-based alternatives. Water-based Wood Preservatives use water as a carrier instead of volatile organic compounds (VOCs), making them safer for human health and the environment. This segment has gained traction as regulations and consumer preferences increasingly prioritize sustainable and non-toxic solutions. One notable example of a water-based wood preservative is copper-based formulations. Copper is a widely recognized and effective preservative that protects wood against decay and insect damage. Water-based copper preservatives are favored for penetrating the wood efficiently, providing long-lasting protection. These formulations, such as decking, fencing, and outdoor furniture, are commonly used in residential and commercial applications. The water-based trend aligns with the industry's commitment to balancing wood preservation needs with environmental responsibility, reflecting a growing awareness of sustainable practices in construction and outdoor applications.
Wood Preservatives Market: Application Overview
In 2023, the residential segment experienced significant growth in the global market, with 66.2% of revenue share, reflecting the demand for protective solutions in various home applications. Wood Preservatives are extensively utilized in residential construction to enhance the longevity and durability of wooden structures, such as decks, fences, siding, and outdoor furniture. These preservatives safeguard against decay, fungi, termites, and other wood-damaging organisms, ensuring that residential wooden components withstand the test of time. Consumers in the residential sector prioritize Wood Preservatives that offer robust protection and align with environmental and health standards. The residential segment has shifted towards water-based formulations and environmentally friendly preservatives, driven by increasing awareness of sustainable practices. Additionally, as homeowners focus on maintaining and upgrading their properties, the demand for Wood Preservatives continues to grow. The versatility of Wood Preservatives in residential applications contributes significantly to the overall market, as they address both aesthetic and functional aspects, allowing homeowners to enjoy the beauty of wood while ensuring its long-term durability.
- Consumers and industries increasingly seek environmentally friendly Wood Preservatives free from harmful chemicals. This trend is driven by an increased awareness of the environmental impact of traditional preservatives containing toxic substances.
- The construction industry's strength significantly influences the Wood Preservatives market. Increased construction activities, especially in residential and commercial sectors, drive the demand for treated wood products.
- Ongoing research and development focuses on developing advanced Wood Preservatives with improved efficacy and longer-lasting protection against decay, insects, and weathering. Innovations in formulations and application technologies are gaining traction in the global market.
- Water-based preservatives are gaining popularity due to their lower environmental impact than oil-based counterparts. These formulations are seen as safer and more sustainable alternatives.
- There is an increasing interest in natural Wood Preservatives derived from plant extracts or essential oils. This trend is driven by a desire for more sustainable and non-toxic options.
- Stringent regulations related to using certain chemicals in Wood Preservatives affect the market. Manufacturers adapt to comply with environmental and safety standards, influencing product formulations.
The Wood Preservatives market is driven by the need for effective protection against wood decay and damage caused by organisms. The National Wood Window and Door Association (NWWDA) standard and the AWPA Standard N1 have set guidelines for water-repellent preservative non-pressure treatment for millwork. These standards require that any preservative used must be registered for use by the EPA under the latest revision of FIFRA and tested for effectiveness against decay. Additionally, the preservative must meet the Guidelines for Evaluating New Wood Preservatives for Consideration by the AWPA. Water-repellent preservatives containing oxine copper have found applications in the non-pressure treatment of wood containers, pallets, and other products for contact with foods. They are also used in pressure-treating lumber for decking in trucks, cars, and other applications involving harvesting, storage, and transportation of foods. Effective Wood Preservatives must have high toxicity towards wood-destroying organisms, be non-leachable, penetrate deeply into the wood, be harmless to the wood, be non-corrosive to metals that come into contact with the treated wood, and have properties such as being odorless, colorless, paintable, glueable, non-smelling, and moisture-repelling.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
Track market trends LIVE & outsmart rivals with our Premium Data Intel Tool: Vantage Point
Wood preservation chemicals safeguard wood from decay caused by fungi, insects, or bacteria, ensuring its prolonged durability. Various treatments and chemicals are employed in this preservation process.
The growth of the Wood Preservatives market is significantly propelled by global urbanization. The escalating use of wood in residential and industrial settings and a heightened demand for wood preservative chemicals in landscaping products contribute to the market's expansion. The market is further influenced by a shift towards environmentally friendly Wood Preservatives, a rising preference for wood in interior decor and building flooring, and a surge in environmental awareness. Stringent regulations, increased infrastructure requirements, and investments from both government and private entities also positively impact the Wood Preservatives market. Moreover, the growing demand for wood composites and advancements in wood preservation technologies present lucrative opportunities for market players within the forecast period.
However, using hazardous chemicals like chromium, creosote, and arsenic raises concerns and is anticipated to impede market growth. Restrictions on deforestation practices pose an additional challenge to the Wood Preservatives market in the upcoming forecast period.
The Wood Preservatives market is competitive, and major players often differentiate themselves through product innovation, strategic partnerships, and a focus on sustainability. Regulatory compliance and adherence to environmental standards have become increasingly important in shaping the competitive landscape. One example of a significant player in the Wood Preservatives market is BASF Wolman GmbH. They offer a wide range of wood protection solutions designed to enhance the durability and performance of wood products. BASF provides Wood Preservatives under various brand names, such as Wolman®, which protect wood in construction, fencing, decking, and other applications.
The key players in the global Wood Preservatives market include - LANXESS, Lonza, Koppers Performance Chemicals, BASF Wolman GmbH, Jubilant, Dolphin Bay, Viance LLC, Nisus Corporation, GROUPE BERKEM, Wykamol Group Ltd. among others.
Recent Market Developments
- In June 2023, Groupe Berkem, a prominent player in bio-based chemistry, announced its contemplation of merging its main subsidiaries—BERKEM, EUROLYO, LIXOL, and ADKALIS - united under their parent company, BERKEM DEVELOPPEMENT (a wholly owned subsidiary of Groupe Berkem).
- In Oct 2022, Koppers Performance Chemicals Inc. (PC), a wholly owned subsidiary of Koppers Holdings Inc., a wide-ranging global supplier of treated wood products, wood treatment chemicals, and carbon compounds, declared a notable increase in its market presence within the industrial and commercial wood preservation technology sectors. In a strategic move earlier this year, PC restructured its sales operations into three channels catering to residential, industrial, and commercial markets.
- In Jan 2022, LANXESS and Matrìca collaborated to manufacture eco-friendly preservatives using renewable resources. Through this collaboration, both companies seek to make substantial progress in developing environmentally friendly preservatives and meet the increasing demand in the market.