Waterborne Coatings Market
Waterborne Coatings Market - Global Industry Assessment & Forecast
- By Types Acrylic, Polyestic, Alkyd, Epoxy, Polyurethane, Polytetrafluoroethylene, Polyvinylidene Fluoride, Polyvinylidene Chloride, Other Types
- By Applications Architectural, Industrial
- By Region North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa
|Forecast Years:||2022 - 2028|
|Historical Years:||2016 - 2021|
|Revenue 2021:||USD 98.2 Billion|
|Revenue 2028:||USD 119.3 Billion|
|Revenue CAGR (2022 - 2028):||3.3%|
|Fastest Growing Region (2022 - 2028)||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Region (2021):||Europe|
- Cross-segment Market Size and Analysis for Mentioned Segments
- Additional Company Profiles (Upto 5 With No Cost)
- Additional Countries (Apart From Mentioned Countries)
- Country/Region-specific Report
- Go To Market Strategy
- Region Specific Market Dynamics
- Region Level Market Share
- Import Export Analysis
- Production Analysis
- Others Request Customization Speak To Analyst
The Global Waterborne Coatings Market is valued at USD 98.2 Billion in 2021 and is projected to reach a value of USD 119.3 Billion by 2028 at a CAGR of 3.3% over the forecast period.
The growth of the Waterborne Coatings Market can be attributed to several factors, such as increasing demand for Waterborne Coatings owing to their various advantages, such as improved wetting, adhesion, and transparency. In addition, the growing health concerns regarding air quality and toxicity propel the growth of the Waterborne Coatings Market. Further, technological advancements are also fuelling the growth of the Waterborne Coatings Market. For instance, developments in three-dimensional printing are facilitating the production of customized coatings in bespoke formats that would not have been possible earlier. Various factors, such as increasing awareness about the benefits of corrosion-resistant paints, increasing spending on infrastructure development, and stringent environmental regulations, are driving the growth of this market. Growing awareness about the importance of coatings for protection against water damage has been a key factor propelling the adoption of these products in various industries such as transportation, manufacturing, shipbuilding, food processing, healthcare facilities, etc. Increasing application in industrial sectors also reflects a growing trend towards smart factories where sensors are installed across various processes to optimize performance and minimize disruptions caused due to product failures or malfunctions. Furthermore, increasing acceptance among customers owing to customization opportunities offered by different manufacturers is also expected to contribute significantly towards the growth of this market.
The increasing investments in renewable energy such as solar, wind, and hydro have driven the growth of the Waterborne Coatings Market. The widespread deployment of renewable energy has led to an increase in demand for environment-friendly coatings. In addition, the shift towards clean and green technologies is also propelling the growth of the Waterborne Coatings Market. These factors are expected to drive market growth over the next few years. The increasing investments in renewable energy such as solar, wind, and hydro have driven the growth of the Waterborne Coatings Market. The widespread deployment of renewable energy has led to an increase in demand for environment-friendly coatings. In addition, the shift towards clean and green technologies is also propelling the growth of the Waterborne Coatings Market. These factors are expected to drive market growth over the next few years. Reducing emission pollution also fuels the growth of the Waterborne Coatings Market. Governments worldwide are mandating measures for reducing emission levels, increasing demand for Waterborne Coatings that can help reduce emissions. For example, aircraft emissions are reduced with anti-icing agents such as glycol ethers used as additives to automotive fluids and polyurethanes used as catalysts or sealants on engines and moving parts.
Waterborne Coatings Market Size, 2021 To 2028 (USD Billion)
The growing awareness about environmental hazards and challenges associated with air and water pollution is responsible for boosting investments in renewable energy projects such as solar, wind, hydroelectric, ethanol production, and others. This has increased demand for Waterborne Coatings that reduces oil or gas emissions, corrosion protection, anti-sludge properties, and anti-foaming agents. Incorporating green technology into wastewater treatment plants has also increased demand for these coatings as they help optimize plant performance while reducing the waste production. In addition, an uptick in manufacturing activities across countries such as China and India is anticipated to contribute to the growth of this market during the forecast period. The continuing increase in investments in renewable energy is the anchor for the Waterborne Coatings Market. Expanding solar, wind, and other renewable sources will require many coatings to protect surfaces from degradation. These coatings are being developed for various end-uses such as automotive, construction, and maritime industries. This continuous expansion in renewable is also fueling the growth of green technology companies supplying these new coatings. Reduction in emission pollutant emissions is another factor triggering the growth of the waterborne coating market. Activities like transport, production, and installation greatly affect air quality. Regulations such as COP21 encourage producers to reduce their emissions by replacing polluting processes with cleaner ones. Increased awareness about environmental issues and reduction in cost associated with implementing clean technology is expected to drive the market forward.
The key restraints of the Waterborne Coatings Market are environmental concerns, limited raw material availability, and aesthetics. Environmental concerns are the major restraining the growth of the Waterborne Coatings Market. The release of uncontrolled chemicals into waterways causes widespread public health issues and has led to increased regulatory scrutiny of the industry. This is particularly a concern for coatings applied to transportation infrastructures, such as bridges and waterways. Limited raw material availability is another restraining factor for the Waterborne Coatings Market. Unlike traditional paints and coatings, which can be made from various base materials, Waterborne Coatings are limited to a few types of oils and liquids. As a result, suppliers must search for new sources of raw materials as they become available or develop novel formulations that use less-expensive materials. Aesthetics also play a significant role in limiting the growth of the Waterborne Coatings Market. Many people view paints and coatings as unsightly and prefer paintless surfaces. As a result, many transportation infrastructure applications require low-viscosity formulations that can be applied easily with spray guns or roller applicators without staining hands or items being sprayed.
Top Market Trends
- The increase in demand for environmentally friendly coatings is one of the key market trends anticipated for the waterborne coating market. Adopting these coatings can help reduce pollution caused by manufacturing processes while ensuring workers’ safety.
- In terms of durability and weather resistance against marine corrosion, another trend that is anticipated to drive growth in the waterborne coating market is the development of novel technologies. These new technologies offer improved performance in terms of flexibility and protection against marine corrosion. This is expected to increase demand for these coatings across industries such as transportation, energy production, maritime transportation, and food processing.
- The increasing demand for eco-friendly products will likely drive the growth of the Waterborne Coatings Market. Waterborne Coatings offer numerous benefits, such as reducing overall environmental impact and improving mechanical performance.
- Increasing adoption of greenfield projects and continued investment in emerging markets are also contributing factors to the market’s growth.
- The demand for bio-catalyzed coatings is also growing owing to their low environmental impact and increased deposition uniformity.
- Ongoing technological evolution and upgradation, along with advancements in nanotechnology, fuel the growth of the waterborne coating market. Over the forecast period, the need for durable and environmentally friendly coatings that exhibit excellent adhesion properties and optical clarity across many substrates will augment demand for PA6 coatings.
The market is segmented based on Types, Applications, and Region. Based on Type, the market is segmented into Acrylic, Polyestic, Alkyd, Epoxy, Polyurethane, Polytetrafluoroethylene, Polyvinylidene Fluoride, Polyvinylidene, and Other Types. Furthermore, based on Applications, the market is segmented into Architectural and Industrial. In addition, based on Region, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Types
In 2021, acrylic resin accounted for 83.4% of market revenue, far exceeding any other product category. Acrylic aqueous coatings are expected to have increased demand from the infrastructure and automotive sectors due to their glossy color retention in outdoor exposure. The use of acrylic resin-based coatings in radiation curing and electrodeposition is expected to increase significantly in the coming years. Polyurethane (PU) coatings will likely see increased demand from the transportation industry because of the rising need for refinishes in aircraft, automobiles, ships, train cars, and trucks. Due to desirable qualities such as resistance to abrasion, hardness, and chemical and weather resistance, they find extensive application. Waterborne Coatings will likely continue to outpace their solvent-borne competitors, largely because of strict government rules for lowering VOC emissions, constant scents, and evolving consumer preferences. Oil-modified, two-component, moisture-curing, and lacquer varieties of polyurethane coatings can all be purchased commercially. Segment expansion is anticipated to be supported by rising demand for PU coating in many different end-use sectors, such as the production of electrical coils and automobiles. Over the projection period, the segment is expected to rise due to rising demand for ultra-low VOC, low-odor epoxy resin-based coatings in the transportation sector, and Do-It-Yourself flooring applications. Strong adhesion and corrosion resistance are just two of the many benefits that epoxy coatings bring to the table when used as primers for metal surfaces. Because of their excellent heat resistance, these coatings find extensive use in electrical insulation. Epoxy coatings are expected to develop with the electrical insulation market, which is expanding quickly.
Based on Applications
The architecture segment dominated the market with a more than 60% value share. The major application areas were the coatings for exterior architectural surfaces, including painted or treated wood, metal, plastic, and other materials. The high-end residential space such as luxury villas, gated communities, and high-rise apartments are some of the key consumers of these coatings. The transportation and logistics segment was the second largest market, with a more than 20% share. These coatings are used on rail cars, trucks, and boat hulls to prevent corrosion and improve their appearance. Other important applications include aircraft, ships, and industrial plant water systems. Environmental coatings accounted for over 10% of the overall market in 2021. These coatings protect natural resources from degradation like acid rain, extreme weather conditions such as rainfall, snow, or wind, and pollution. Some notable applications include countermeasures against ozone depletion, water conservation, and promoting marine life protection. More stringent laws on volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions are driving a dramatic growth in the use of Waterborne Coatings, which already make up the majority of the architectural coatings market. Growth in this sector during the next seven years is anticipated to be driven by rising construction spending due to rising incomes in the growing countries of Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East. In addition, the increasing adoption of acrylic-based coatings in industrial applications is anticipated to fuel industry expansion. Market expansion and profitable new opportunities are anticipated with the introduction of insulation and sound-dampening coatings.
Based on Region
Europe dominated the global industry in 2021 and accounted for the highest share of over 38.1% of the total market value. Asia-Pacific, North America, and the Rest of the World (RoW) collectively followed with a share of about 31.4%. The market is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of about 5.0% during the forecast period. The growth is attributed to increasing demand from key economies in these regions and innovative products launched by leading players. While coatings are widely used in industrial and commercial applications, their application in the transportation and naval sectors has witnessed an alarming increase due to the onset of stringent environmental protection regulations and maritime safety regulations.
Further analysis of geographical segmentation reveals that Europe led the market with a major contribution from Norway, Germany, Russia, the UK, France, and Italy. Germany was identified as the fastest-growing region throughout the study period owing to increasing demand for Waterborne Coatings in the transportation & naval sectors. In Asia-Pacific, India is estimated to be among the fastest-growing countries owing to increasing investments in infrastructure development & industrial initiatives.
The key players in the Global Waterborne Coatings Market include- Akzo Nobel N.V. (Netherlands), Arkema (France), AXALTA (US), BASF SE (Germany), Benjamin Moore & Co. (US), Berger Paints India Limited (India), Hempel Group (Denmark), Jotun (Norway), Kansai Paint Co. Ltd. (Japan), KCC CORPORATION (South Korea), PPG Industries Inc. (US), The Sherwin-Williams Company (US), Sika AG (Switzerland), Covestro AG (Germany), The Dow Company (US), Solvay AG (Belgium), Silberline Manufacturing Co. Inc., Hexion Inc. (US) and others.
Recent Market Developments
● To help professionals satisfy the aesthetic and functional needs of light industrial or commercial settings, Sherwin-Williams developed Pro Industrial Pre-Catalyzed Water-based Urethane, a single-component product with performance qualities equal to those of a two-part coating.
● A memorandum of understanding (MOU) was signed between the Korean firm Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) and the Norwegian firm Jotun in June of this year. Together, we can meet environmental laws by using Jotun's innovative maritime paint, which cuts solvent emissions by 90%.
● An environmental coatings and paints industry leader in China, Chenyang Group, established a partnership with Royal DSM in May 2022. With this partnership, we hope to boost the supply of eco-friendly coating options in the Chinese market.
● PPG Industries, a world-renowned manufacturer and distributor of coatings and paints, introduced their aqueous weathering stain, PPG MACHINECOAT, in May 2019. It's a low-VOC alternative to the standard solvent-based PPG Machinecoat alkyd weathering stains.
● Axalta Coating Systems, a global leader in coatings and paints, opened a new coatings manufacturing facility in Gujarat, India, in April 2018. Coatings production will ramp up at this new facility to fulfill the increasing demand.
Segmentation of the Global Waterborne Coatings Market
|Regions & Countries Covered||
|Report Coverage||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19 impact analysis|
Frequently Asked Question
The global Waterborne Coatings valued at USD 98.2 Billion in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 119.3 Billion in 2028 growing at a CAGR of 3.3%.
The prominent players in the market are Akzo Nobel N.V. (Netherlands), Arkema (France), AXALTA (US), BASF SE (Germany), Benjamin Moore & Co. (US), Berger Paints India Limited (India), Hempel Group (Denmark), Jotun (Norway), Kansai Paint Co. Ltd. (Japan), KCC CORPORATION (South Korea), PPG Industries Inc. (US), The Sherwin-Williams Company (US), Sika AG (Switzerland), Covestro AG (Germany), The Dow Company (US), Solvay AG (Belgium), Silberline Manufacturing Co. Inc., Hexion Inc. (US).
The market is project to grow at a CAGR of 3.3% between 2021 and 2028.
The driving factors of the Waterborne Coatings include
- Environmental regulation boosting demand for VOC-free Coatings
Europe was the leading regional segment of the Waterborne Coatings in 2020.