The global Spatial OMICS Market is valued at USD 210.9 Million in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 424.2 Million by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 10.5% between 2023 and 2030.
The Spatial OMICS market has been growing globally over the last few years and is set to continue to grow in the coming years. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of Nucleic Acids Research, Spatial OMICS is a fast-developing method for examining tissue microenvironment and cellular networks by combining spatial knowledge with transcript or protein expression information. Users can't easily access or analyze geographic omics data because there aren't enough databases. To overcome this issue, a team of researchers developed Aquila, a comprehensive framework for managing and analyzing geographic omics data. Aquila comprises 15.7 million cells, 6500+ regions of interest, and 107 datasets from 30 illnesses. The database includes research from 2D and 3D experiments, spatial transcriptome and proteome analyses, and other technologies. Aquila offers Spatial OMICS data visualization in various formats, including spatial cell distribution, spatial expression, and marker co-localization.
Spatial OMICS Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Million)
Additionally, Aquila enables users to carry out various basic and advanced spatial analyses on any dataset. Users may also upload their Spatial OMICS data for visualization and analysis in a protected setting. Also, Aquila offers the RESTful API service for power users to access the database and may be installed as a separate app on a desktop. Overall, Aquila offers a thorough understanding of transcript and protein expression in tissues from a spatial perspective. The market for spatial genomics and transcriptomics is projected to expand due to the rising potential of spatial genomic analysis as a cancer diagnosis tool and the arrival of the fourth generation of sequencing. For instance, spatial transcriptomics has been addressed as a benefit for detecting and thoroughly comprehending special spatial locations like tumor interfaces and tertiary lymphoid structures in the Frontiers Journal paper released in October 2022. The study also noted that spatial transcriptomics could enhance pathology diagnosis and discover new cancer prognostic factors. The advantages of spatial genomics and transcriptomics for cancer detection are anticipated to fuel market expansion in the industry. Moreover, government and private funding for Spatial OMICS research have helped drive market growth. Governments and companies worldwide are investing significant resources into advancing this field of study. As research continues, new applications for Spatial OMICS are being discovered, further increasing demand for the technology.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
- North America generated above 48.5% of revenue share in 2022.
- The Asia Pacific region is projected to grow at the fastest CAGR from 2023 to 2030.
- From the Technology segment, the Spatial Transcriptomics category contributed more than 65% of the revenue share in 2022.
- From the segment Product, the Consumables category recorded over 54% of revenue share in 2022.
- Regarding the segment Sample Type, the FFPE category registered around 58.2% share in 2022.
- Lastly, from the End-Use segment, the Academic & Translational Research Institutes category recorded a whopping 90.1% share, i.e., the highest revenue share in 2022.
The demand for more efficient and effective healthcare solutions will increase as the world's population grows. The economic impact of Spatial OMICS technologies extends beyond the industries directly utilizing them. These technologies require significant investments in research and development, creating new job opportunities and driving economic growth. Commercializing Spatial OMICS products and services can also create new companies and markets, further fueling economic development. However, it is important to note that adopting Spatial OMICS technologies may also have implications for various sectors of the economy. Additionally, the high costs associated with developing and implementing Spatial OMICS technologies may limit their accessibility, potentially exacerbating existing inequalities in healthcare and agriculture.
Top Market Trends
- Emergence of Personalized Medicine: There is a growing need for personalized medicine, driving the growth of the Spatial OMICS market. Spatial OMICS technologies are being used to identify and validate biomarkers that can help in the targeted treatment of various medical conditions such as cancer.
- Advancements in Spatial OMICS Technologies: Advancements in Spatial OMICS technologies are leading to the development of new and innovative products. Using spatial transcriptomics, spatial proteomics, and spatial genomics technologies is expected to drive the growth of the Spatial OMICS market.
- Increased Research and Development Activities: Companies invest heavily in research and development to develop new, innovative products that offer better efficacy and safety. Spatial OMICS technologies are being explored in several areas, including drug discovery, precision medicine, and biomarker discovery.
- Growing Demand for Biomarker Identification and Validation: The increasing demand for biomarker identification and validation drives the growth of the Spatial OMICS market. Spatial OMICS technologies are used for biomarker identification and validation in several medical conditions, such as cancer, Alzheimer's, and cardiovascular diseases.
The global Spatial OMICS market can be categorized on the following: Technology, Product, Workflow, Sample Type, End-Use, and Region. By Technology, the market is categorized into Spatial Transcriptomics, Spatial Genomics, and Spatial Proteomics. Furthermore, based on the segment Product, the market is segmented into Instruments, Consumables, and Software. Additionally, based on Workflow, the segmentation is divided into Sample Preparation, Instrumental Analysis, and Data Analysis. Moreover, based on Sample Type, the market is bifurcated into FFPE and Fresh Frozen. In addition, based on End-Use, the market is divided into Academic & Translational Research Institutes, Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies, Hospitals & Diagnostics Centers, and Contract Research Organizations (CROs). Likewise, the market is segmented based on Region: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Technology
Spatial Transcriptomics Segment to Dominate the Market Share
The spatial transcriptomics segment is expected to dominate the market share. Spatial transcriptomics is a technique that allows scientists to analyze gene expression within individual cells in their native tissue context. This technology provides valuable insights into the spatial organization of cells and their gene expression patterns, which can be crucial for understanding biological processes and disease mechanisms. The increasing adoption of spatial transcriptomics in research and diagnostics, along with advancements in technology, is driving the growth of this segment.
Based on Product
Consumables Segment to Hold the Maximum Market Share
The consumables segment will likely hold a major market share in the global Spatial OMICS market. Consumables such as reagents, assay kits, and probes are essential for performing Spatial OMICS experiments. The increasing adoption of Spatial OMICS in various applications, including drug discovery, cancer research, and developmental biology, is driving the demand for consumables. Furthermore, the development of innovative and advanced consumables is further propelling the growth of this segment in the global Spatial OMICS market.
Based on Workflow
Instrumental Analysis Segment to Hold the Maximum Market Share
The instrumental analysis segment in the global Spatial OMICS market is witnessing significant growth. Instrumental analysis is crucial in this field by providing tools and techniques to analyze and identify various biomolecules spatially. Advancements in technology, such as mass spectrometry and imaging techniques, have revolutionized the field of Spatial OMICS, allowing researchers to understand the spatial distribution of genes, proteins, metabolites, and other biomolecules within tissues. This segment is expected to grow as researchers explore the spatial organization of biological systems.
Based on the Sample Type
FFPE to Witness Significant Growth
The Formalin Fixation and Paraffin-Embedding (FFPE) segment in the global Spatial OMICS market is gaining traction due to its numerous advantages. FFPE is a widely used method to preserve tissue samples in pathology laboratories. It facilitates the analysis of molecular alterations in tissues, contributing to understanding diseases at a cellular level. This segment includes various products and services, such as FFPE kits and FFPE sample preparation services. The increasing demand for accurate and reliable analysis of spatially resolved omics data is driving the growth of the FFPE segment in the global Spatial OMICS market.
Based on End-Use
Academic and Translational Research Institutes to Lead the Market Share
The Academic and Translational Research Institutes segment is a significant player in the global Spatial OMICS market. This segment comprises institutions and organizations conducting academic and translational research on Spatial OMICS technologies. Academic and translational research institutes are crucial in advancing Spatial OMICS technology and its applications. These institutes focus on developing new methodologies, tools, and technologies for Spatial OMICS analysis. They research to study the spatial heterogeneity of various diseases, including cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, and developmental disorders.
Based on Region
North America to Maintain Dominant Position
North America is expected to hold the largest market share in the Spatial OMICS. In recent years, there has been a significant increase in the adoption of Spatial OMICS techniques in North America, primarily driven by the growing demand for a better understanding of disease mechanisms, drug discovery, and precision medicine. Also, the region is home to several leading pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies actively adopting Spatial OMICS drug discovery and development techniques. The increasing focus on personalized medicine and precision healthcare is fuelling the demand for Spatial OMICS technologies in North America. Moreover, there is a growing awareness among researchers and healthcare professionals about the benefits of Spatial OMICS, which is further contributing to market growth. However, the high cost associated with Spatial OMICS technologies and the need for skilled professionals to operate these systems may hinder market growth. Nevertheless, technological advancements and ongoing research and development are expected to overcome these challenges and propel the future growth of the North America Spatial OMICS market.
The Asia Pacific Spatial OMICS market is experiencing significant growth and has become a hub for biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies, leading to increased research and development activities in Spatial OMICS. Countries like China, Japan, and South Korea invest heavily in genomics research and precision medicine initiatives, driving the market's growth. Moreover, the rising prevalence of chronic diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and neurodegenerative disorders has created a need for advanced diagnostic and therapeutic solutions. Spatial OMICS offers a promising approach to developing targeted therapies and improving patient outcomes.
The major players in the Spatial OMICS market are focusing on product launches, partnerships, and collaborations to expand their market presence and to remain competitive. In addition, companies are investing heavily in research and development to develop new and innovative products that offer better efficacy and safety. In March 2022, NanoString Technologies Inc. announced a strategic collaboration with BD Biosciences to develop a single-cell multi-omics platform for analyzing complex biological systems. Furthermore, 10x Genomics LLC announced the commercial availability of their Visium for FFPE solution, which allows for spatial gene expression analysis of formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded (FFPE) tissue samples.
The key players in the global Spatial OMICS market include - 10x Genomics (U.S.), NanoString Technologies Inc. (U.S.), Illumina Inc. (U.S.), PerkinElmer Inc. (U.S.), QIAGEN (Germany), Akoya Biosciences (U.S.), Agilent Technologies Inc. (U.S.), Fluidigm Corp. (U.S.), Bio-Techne (U.S.), Seven Bridges Genomics (U.S.), Millennium Science Pty Ltd. (Australia), IonPath Inc. (U.S.), Rebus Biosystems Inc. (U.S.), Ultivue Inc. (U.S.), Vizgen Inc. (U.S.), BioSpyder Technologies Inc. (U.S.), Bruker Corp (U.S.) among others.
Recent Market Developments
- June 2023: At the annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, Owkin, Nanostring, University of Pittsburgh, Gustave Roussy, Lausanne University Hospital, Uniklinikum Erlangen/Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, and Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin will launch MOSAIC (Multi Omic Spatial Atlas In Cancer). MOSAIC is a landmark $50 Million project that aims to transform cancer research by utilizing Spatial OMICS, a collection of cutting-edge tools that provide unprecedented data on tumor structure.
- June 2022: Rebus Biosystems collaborated with ROSALIND to co-develop new Spatial OMICS software. The technology will democratize data from Rebus EsperTM system single-cell spatial analyses, opening up crucial Spatial OMICS insights to the wider research community. This collaboration intends to broaden access to single-cell spatial analysis data obtained from the Rebus EsperTM system and advance biological knowledge.
- January 2022: A partnership between Bio-techne and Akoya Biosciences was announced to provide automated spatial multi-omics workflow at speeds and resolutions that are unmatched in the industry. Comprehensive spatial phenotyping of RNA and protein biomarkers will be possible using Akoya's powerful new PhenoCycler™-Fusion system in combination with Bio-Techne's proven and established RNAScope® technology. Through this collaboration, both groups will introduce an automated spatial multi-omics workflow that can perform quick and in situ analysis of multiple analytes across whole slides at single-cell resolution.
Segmentation of the Global Spatial OMICS Market
- Spatial Transcriptomics
- Spatial Genomics
- Spatial Proteomics
- Sample Preparation
- Instrumental Analysis
- Data Analysis
- Academic & Translational Research Institutes
- Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies
- Hospitals & Diagnostics Centers
- Contract Research Organizations (CROs)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- 10x Genomics (U.S.)
- NanoString Technologies Inc. (U.S.)
- Illumina Inc. (U.S.)
- PerkinElmer Inc. (U.S.)
- QIAGEN (Germany)
- Akoya Biosciences (U.S.)
- Agilent Technologies Inc. (U.S.)
- Fluidigm Corp. (U.S.)
- Bio-Techne (U.S.)
- Seven Bridges Genomics (U.S.)
- Millennium Science Pty Ltd. (Australia)
- IonPath Inc. (U.S.)
- Rebus Biosystems Inc. (U.S.)
- Ultivue Inc. (U.S.)
- Vizgen Inc. (U.S.)
- BioSpyder Technologies Inc. (U.S.)
- Bruker Corp (U.S.)
|Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
|Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options