The global Peptide Synthesis Market is valued at USD 596.5 Million in 2023 and is projected to reach a value of USD 1171.71 Million by 2032 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 7.8% between 2024 and 2032.
Key highlights of Peptide Synthesis Market
- The pharmaceutical industry has shown a growing interest in therapeutic peptides for various applications, including cancer treatment, metabolic disorders, and cardiovascular diseases
- In 2023, North America accounted for the most substantial market growth, generating 37.5% of the revenue
- Asia Pacific is projected to witness the fastest growth throughout the projected period
- In 2023, the reagents category accounted for the foremost market growth
- Based on end users, the pharmaceutical & biotechnology companies segment accounted for the market revenue of around 34.3% in 2023
- The liquid phase peptide synthesis segment witnessed major market expansion in 2023
Peptide Synthesis Market Size, 2023 To 2032 (USD Million)
Peptide Synthesis Market: Regional Overview
North America Dominated Sales with a 37.5% share in 2023. The North America region Well-known for its strong healthcare and biotechnology sectors, North America sees substantial demand for peptides in therapeutic applications. The region's advanced research infrastructure and considerable investments in pharmaceutical innovations contribute to its prominent position in the segment. Moreover, strategic collaborations and partnerships within the pharmaceutical industry further enhance North America's impact on the global peptide synthesis landscape, establishing it as a pivotal hub for advancements and market expansion.
The global Peptide Synthesis market can be categorized as Product & Services, Technology, End User and Region.
By Product & Service
- Amino Acids
- Coupling Reagents
- Dyes and Fluorescent Labeling Reagents
- Other Reagents
- Peptide Synthesizers
- Chromatography Equipment
- Solid Phase Peptide Synthesis
- Liquid Phase Peptide Synthesis
- Hybrid & Recombinant Technology
By End User
- Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies
- CDMOs & CROs
- Academic & Research Institutes
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Merck KGaA
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- Bachem Holding AG
- Kaneka Corporation
- Syngene International Limited
- CEM Corporation
- Gyros Protein Technologies AB
|Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
|Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options
Peptide Synthesis Market: Product & Services Overview
In 2023, the reagents category dominated the global peptide synthesis market, constituting the essential chemicals and compounds utilized in peptide synthesis. Based on the Product & Service, the market can be divided into Reagents (Resins, Amino Acids, Coupling Reagents, Dyes and Fluorescent Labeling Reagents, Other Reagents), Equipment (Peptide Synthesizers, Chromatography Equipment, Lyophilizes), and Services. These reagents are crucial to the overall process of peptide production, exerting a notable influence on the efficiency and quality of the synthesized peptides. Both researchers and manufacturers depend on reagents of superior quality to ensure accuracy and consistency in peptide synthesis. Ongoing advancements in reagent technology, including coupling reagents and protecting group chemistry, contribute to improving peptide synthesis methodologies.
Peptide Synthesis Market: Technology Overview
In 2023, the liquid phase peptide synthesis (LPPS) segment contributed to the most significant market growth. The Technology segment is divided into Solid Phase Peptide Synthesis, Liquid Phase Peptide Synthesis, and Hybrid & Recombinant Technology. Utilizing liquid-phase techniques, LPPS streamlines the effective formation of peptides by systematically introducing amino acids in a solution. This method presents benefits in terms of purity, output, and scalability. With an increasing demand for peptides in pharmaceutical and biotechnological fields, LPPS becomes prominent due to its capability to generate top-quality peptides while minimizing undesirable side reactions. The segment's expansion is additionally driven by advancements in automated synthesis technologies, which augment the pace and accuracy of peptide manufacturing.
Peptide Synthesis Market: End User Overview
In 2023, the pharmaceutical & biotechnology companies segment accounted for over 34.3% market share. The End User segment is categorized into Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies, CDMOs & CROs, and Academic & Research Institutes.These companies are pivotal in driving innovation, research, and development, contributing significantly to the increasing demand for peptides. This segment is a crucial growth driver focusing on developing novel therapeutics and advancing biotechnological solutions.
- Continuous improvements in Solid Phase Peptide Synthesis and Liquid Phase Peptide Synthesis (SPPS), a widely used method for peptide synthesis, have been a trend. This includes the development of novel resins, linkers, and coupling reagents to enhance efficiency and reduce side reactions.
- The trend towards personalized medicine has increased the demand for custom peptide synthesis services, as peptides are crucial in developing targeted therapies.
- Adoption of automation and innovative technologies in peptide synthesis processes to improve efficiency, reduce costs, and enhance the purity of synthesized peptides.
- Ongoing research and development activities in the fields of biotechnology and pharmaceuticals contribute to the demand for peptides, driving growth in the peptide synthesis market.
- Compliance with regulatory standards & guidelines is crucial in the peptide synthesis market. Companies are focusing on maintaining quality standards to meet regulatory requirements.
- Increased collaborations between research institutions, pharmaceutical companies, and peptide synthesis service providers to combine expertise and resources for advancing peptide-based drug development.
The market is experiencing major growth due to a sharp increase in the adoption of peptides within the pharmaceutical and consumer healthcare sectors. Peptides find extensive use in addressing various lifestyle disorders like cancers, diabetes, and obesity. The escalating prevalence of these metabolic and lifestyle disorders is creating opportunities for the application of peptide therapeutics in areas such as diabetes, oncology, and metabolic disorders. For instance, the IDF 2023 reveals that 10.5% of the adult population (20-79 years) is afflicted with diabetes, with nearly half unaware of their condition. Moreover, projections from the IDF indicate that by 2045, approximately 783 million adults, or 1 in 8, will be living with diabetes—a 46% increase. The IDF also notes estimates for impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) among those aged 20-79, putting them at a high risk of type 2 diabetes. Peptide therapies, including Glucagon-like peptide-1amide, which stimulates insulin secretion postprandially, are gaining popularity in pancreatic treatment. As a result, the peptide drug market is anticipated to expand alongside the increasing population of individuals with diabetes, fostering market growth throughout the projected period.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
Track market trends LIVE & outsmart rivals with our Premium Data Intel Tool : Vantage Point
The surge in demand for therapeutic peptides in the pharmaceutical industry has intensified research and development. Yet, the current peptide synthesis methods involving hazardous coupling agents and solvents pose significant sustainability challenges. The environmental impact of these practices carries economic implications, prompting a crucial shift towards greener synthesis processes. Companies investing in eco-friendly technologies contribute to a positive environmental image and gain a competitive edge in the market, attracting investor interest aligned with the trend of ethical investing. Collaboration on industry standards and meeting consumer preferences for sustainable practices further shape the evolving economic landscape of the peptide synthesis industry, where innovation must intertwine with environmental responsibility for long-term viability.
The competitive landscape of the peptide synthesis industry is characterized by a dynamic market where several significant players exist for prominence. Established companies, such as Bachem, CEM Corporation, Merck KGaA, etc., dominate the industry, leveraging their extensive expertise and technological capabilities. Industry players in Peptide Synthesis are driven by a commitment to advancing technology for innovative solutions that boost efficiency, automation, and high-throughput capabilities. For instance, Biotage has introduced an advanced solution for simultaneous peptide purification, enhancing the automation of the peptide drug discovery process. The newly launched Biotage® PeptiRen-96 well plates, in conjunction with the well-established Biotage® Extrahera™ sample preparation system, facilitate the efficient cleanup of up to 96 peptides concurrently, streamlining the high-throughput workflow.
The key players in the global Peptide Synthesis market include - Merck KGaA, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., GenScript, Bachem Holding AG, Kaneka Corporation, Syngene International Limited, Biotage, CEM Corporation, Gyros Protein Technologies AB, ProteoGenix among others.
Recent Market Developments
- In December 2023, Gyros Protein Technologies and Biotage are collaborating to improve the efficiency of peptide purification with a new automated solution. This partnership introduces Biotage® PeptiPEC, which incorporates Gyros' PurePep® EasyClean (PECTM) catch and release technology, seamlessly integrated into the Biotage® Extrahera™ automated sample preparation system. The automated workflow, based on plates, not only ensures rapidity but also signifies an environmentally friendly method for high-throughput peptide purification.
- In March 2023, Bachem Group entered a long-term collaboration agreement about developing and providing peptides. The company revealed the signing of a fresh framework deal to supply substantial quantities of peptides due to a collaborative development initiative.