The global Kombucha Market is valued at USD 2.7 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 11.2 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 17.14% between 2023 and 2030.
Kombucha is a fermented, effervescent tea beverage that has recently gained popularity as a health drink among people with diabetes and the public. Made from tea, sugar, and a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast (SCOBY), Kombucha is rich in probiotics, antioxidants, and enzymes that are said to improve gut health and boost the immune system. According to the American Diabetes Association's most recent data, about 35% of Americans have been projected to have been diagnosed with diabetes, which affects 37.3 million Americans, or 11 3% of the population. Among them, 283,000 Americans are in their 20s. These figures show that the percentage of Americans who have diabetes is increasing, which has resulted in revenue growth for Kombucha. Kombucha is widely taken for digestive health and as an immunity booster because it is high in vitamin B12 and may balance fruitarian and vegetarian diets. Consumption of Kombucha aids in promoting the immune system by its antioxidative, anti-inflammatory, and cholesterol reduction properties, based on a research project conducted by the National Center for Biotechnology Information 2020, NCBI 2020.
Kombucha Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
- By Product Type, the high demand for the conventional category will increase the Kombucha Market over the forecast period 2023 to 2030,
- By Distribution Channel, the on-trade channel segment holds the largest share across the globe in the forecast period 2023 to 2030,
- In 2022, North America dominated the market with the highest revenue share of 46.1%,
- Europe held a 23% revenue share in 2022,
- Asia Pacific will grow at a high CAGR from 2023-2030.
Various factors drive the global Kombucha market, including growing consumer health awareness, increasing demand for probiotic drinks, and the rising popularity of vegan and organic products. The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that harmful alcohol consumption causes almost 3 million deaths annually, accounting for 5.3% of all fatalities. This results in making it a popular choice among health-conscious consumers. Another factor driving the market is the rising popularity of new Kombucha flavors, including fruit-based and floral ones. For Instance, Greenbelt Craft Beverages introduced four flavors of Greenbelt Craft Kombucha in a novel format: Peach Blossom White Tea, Strawberry Fields Roibos Tea, Blood Orange Yerba Mate, and Hibiscus Berry Black Tea. In the production of effervescent, raw, prebiotically modified organisms and Vegan Kombucha without sugar after fermentation, they are exclusively using top-quality premium teas. According to the Brewers' Association, there was an increase of 13.6% in overall market shares for Craft Beers. In terms of market share, the craft beer sector accounts for 29.3 billion U.S. dollars compared with 116 billion USD in the beer industry.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
Customers' interest in and demand for beverages like Kombucha has grown because of a shift in consumer preference toward functional beverages that can provide good health impacts. For instance, the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) estimates that in the U.S. beverage industry, functional beverages maintained a 4% market share in 2017. Yogurt and kefir generated from fermented milk are typically used to make probiotic beverages. This, however, has a significant advantage over other probiotic beverages in that it can be drunk by those with celiac disease and lactose intolerance because it is made by fermenting sweetened tea. In 2020, the increased accessibility of non-alcoholic beverages, their expanded online range, and a decline in alcohol consumption will have shifted consumer preferences toward Kombucha, according to a research paper published in BioMed Central. During the projected period, novel taste variations are also anticipated to fuel market expansion.
Top Market Trends
- Rising Demand for Health and Wellness Products: In recent years, there has been a rising demand for health and wellness products, including Kombucha consumption. Kombucha is a fermented tea that is widely popular due to its numerous health benefits, such as improving digestion, boosting immunity, and reducing inflammation. Moreover, the increasing health consciousness and the growing trend of consuming natural and organic products have fueled the demand for Kombucha. Consumers are now seeking healthier alternatives to sugary drinks and looking for options free from preservatives and artificial ingredients. The global Kombucha market is expected to witness significant growth in the coming years due to the increasing awareness of its health benefits and the growing availability of various flavors. The market players are also investing in research and development to innovate new flavors and enhance the product's quality to meet the consumers' growing demands.
- Expansion of Distribution Channels to Augment Growth: Kombucha is a fermented tea that has gained popularity recently due to its health benefits and unique taste. The Kombucha market has been growing steadily, and expanding distribution channels is essential to reach more consumers and increase sales. One way to develop distribution channels is by partnering with retailers and restaurants to sell Kombucha in their stores. This can include natural food stores, health food stores, coffee shops, and bars. Additionally, online sales can be expanded through e-commerce platforms like Amazon and specialized Kombucha websites. Another strategy for developing distribution channels is introducing Kombucha to new regions and markets through trade shows and events. This can increase brand awareness and attract new customers.
The global Kombucha market can be categorized on the following: Product Type, Distribution Channel, and Region. Based on Product Type, the market can be categorized into Conventional and Hard. Additionally, by Distribution Channel, the market can be split between On-trade and Off-trade. Likewise, based on Region, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Product Type
Conventional Kombucha to Accommodate Maximum Market Share Due to Strong Demand from Health-conscious Consumers
In 2022, Conventional Kombucha dominated the market. The conventional category of the Kombucha market refers to traditional drink preparation methods. This involves using organic tea, sugar, and a SCOBY (Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast) to ferment the tea over time. Conventional Kombucha is often flavored with natural fruit extracts, spices, or herbs to enhance its taste and appeal to different customer preferences. The market for traditional Kombucha is driven by the growing demand for healthy and natural beverages and the increasing awareness among consumers of the health benefits associated with Kombucha consumption. The conventional method of producing Kombucha will continue to dominate the market in the foreseeable future due to the strong demand from health-conscious consumers.
Based on Distribution Channel
On-trade Channel to Express Dominion as Consumers Seek Healthier Options When Dining Out
Between 2023 and 2030, the On-trade distribution channel is anticipated to grow fastest. The On-trade channel includes restaurants, bars, cafes, and other food service establishments where customers consume drinks and food. Kombucha is a popular choice for health-conscious consumers as it is low in sugar and calories and contains probiotics that aid digestion. The On-trade channel allows Kombucha brands to showcase their products to a wide audience and offer different flavor options. Many establishments are also incorporating Kombucha into their cocktail and mocktail menus, adding to its appeal. The Kombucha market in the On-trade channel is expected to continue to grow as consumers seek healthier options when dining out. By expanding distribution channels, Kombucha companies can reach a more diverse audience and increase their sales revenue, ultimately leading to the growth of the overall Kombucha market.
Based on Region
North America to Lead Global Sales Owing to Changing Lifestyles and Increasing Popularity
The North American region is the largest market for Kombucha worldwide, owing to high health consciousness and the popularity of natural and organic products among consumers. The United States and Canada have been witnessing a significant increase in the demand for functional beverages, driving the growth of the Kombucha market in the region. Moreover, increasing awareness about the health benefits associated with Kombucha, such as improved digestive health and immune system boosting, is further fueling the demand. Many significant manufacturers of Kombucha products are based in North America, which is another factor contributing to the market growth in this region. Consumers in this region are also willing to pay premium prices for healthier and natural products, which is expected to drive the development of the Kombucha market in the area. Additionally, the increasing trend of veganism and plant-based products is expected to boost the demand for Kombucha in North America.
In the Asia Pacific, the market is expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period due to the increasing adoption of healthy and natural beverages and the rising disposable income of consumers. The region is also witnessing a surge in demand for Kombucha due to its perceived health benefits, such as improved digestion and immunity. Additionally, the growing popularity of organic food products and the increasing number of health-conscious consumers are further fueling the market growth in the region.
The global Kombucha market is highly competitive, with numerous players operating. Major companies operating in the market include GT's Living Foods, Kevita, Millennium Products, The Humm Kombucha, Brew Dr. Kombucha, KeVita, Inc., Health-Ade Kombucha, Unity Vibration, Buchi Kombucha, and Revive Kombucha among others. The companies are continuously adopting various strategies, such as new product launches, partnerships, collaborations, mergers, and acquisitions, to expand their market share, increase brand recognition, and cater to the changing customer needs. The market is expected to grow significantly in the coming years, and the players are expected to focus on geographical expansion and innovative product offerings to gain a competitive edge.
The key players in the global Kombucha market include - GT's Living Foods LLC (U.S.), KeVita Inc. (U.S.), Health-Ade LLC (U.S.), Brew Dr. Kombucha (U.S.), The Humm Kombucha LLC (U.S.), Aqua ViTea Inc. (U.S.), Kombucha Wonder Drink (U.S.), Kosmic Kombucha (U.S.), The Kombucha Company (U.S.), Buchi Kombucha (U.S.) among others.
Recent Market Developments
- February 2022: A "fast Kombucha" formula was developed by Superfoods Company and can be obtained in various flavors. The Kombucha is infused with handpicked black tea, which has enough recipes to make 30 drinks. According to the company, this product contains a favorable concentration of polyphenols, flavonoids, and prebiotics in order to improve digestive and metabolic health.
- February 2022: Brew Dr. launched their first-ever peach-flavored Kombucha, Just Peachy. It's done by combining 5 varieties of organically grown peaches with high-quality organic loose green tea. This gives rise to a magnificent combination of delicate, salty, and sweet flavors with notes of honey and spring flowers.
- July 2022: Nova Easy Kombucha, known for its complex and non-alcoholic varieties, launched a new product line of high-performance non-alcoholic products that features a pre-workout ‘POWER’ Kombucha blend comprising naturally-derived caffeine to boost performance and a ‘RECOVERY’ blend, formulated with probiotics to promote a healthy gut. The products are designed for health-conscious consumers seeking an all-natural and low-sugar option.
Segmentation of the Global Kombucha Market
- Product (Conventional, Hard)
- Distribution Channel (On-trade, Off-trade)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- GT's Living Foods LLC (U.S.)
- KeVita Inc. (U.S.)
- Health-Ade LLC (U.S.)
- Brew Dr. Kombucha (U.S.)
- The Humm Kombucha LLC (U.S.)
- Aqua ViTea Inc. (U.S.)
- Kombucha Wonder Drink (U.S.)
- Kosmic Kombucha (U.S.)
- The Kombucha Company (U.S.)
- Buchi Kombucha (U.S.)
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options