The global Immunohistochemistry Market was valued at USD 2.1 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 3.7 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 8.6% between 2023 and 2030.
Immunohistochemistry is a staining procedure that uses antibodies to detect and localize proteins of interest, like antigens, within the context of tissue structure. The technique is an ancillary method in clinical diagnostics to localize and quantify abnormal protein expressions linked to various diseases, particularly cancer. With specific tumor markers, researchers can determine tumor malignancy, stage, and grade and identify and classify metastatic carcinomas of unknown primary sites. The global Immunohistochemistry market is expected to expand at a larger CAGR during the forecast period. The use of automation and machine learning in Immunohistochemistry (IHC) and the release of technologically sophisticated IHC solutions are anticipated to drive the market during the forecast period considerably. The demand for IHC in disease diagnosis has increased significantly due to improvements in IHC methods. The market is also expanding due to the rise in product approvals and the introduction of technologically sophisticated IHC equipment for illness diagnostics.
To improve their market position, businesses keep releasing innovative items which generate income. For instance, Roche introduced the DISCOVERY Green HRP kit in March 2022 to find and characterize cell populations and biomarkers in tissue-based research. The multiplexing capabilities of in situ hybridization and IHC can be increased using this kit in conjunction with other detection kits. The capabilities of Immunohistochemistry are restricted to single parametric analyses of a sample. However, more recent technologies, such as multiplexed IHC, enable multiparametric and in-depth analysis from a single tissue segment by applying sophisticated mass spectrometric detection techniques. The tagged fluorescence detection-based approach presents technological difficulties addressed by multiplexed IHC, boosting market income. As the global geriatric population increases noticeably, it is anticipated that the prevalence of age-related illnesses will increase greatly. The virus was discovered using RT-PCR, IHC, and an electron microscope, proving that SARS-CoV-2 has effects outside of the lungs.
Immunohistochemistry Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
Since Immunohistochemistry is used to diagnose cancer and other disorders, such as antigen-antibody interactions, the rise in cancer incidence is the main factor driving the market's expansion. For instance, according to the 2023 Cancer Statistics from the American Cancer Society, 1.96 million new cancer cases are anticipated to be diagnosed in the United States in 2023, up from 1.89 million in 2021. Hence, the demand for early diagnostics is anticipated to rise as the burden of cancer and awareness of its rise support market growth. The efficiency and effectiveness of current goods are also likely to be improved by technical developments in Immunohistochemistry products, which are anticipated to increase demand for these items. For instance, a publication from NextCure in July 2022 investigated the expression of Siglec-15 (S15) in solid tumors using a newly created antibody to S15 and an Immunohistochemistry (IHC) assay.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
A worldwide economic slowdown is anticipated to begin in 2023 due to many concurrent rate hikes. Increasing interest rates is one strategy central banks worldwide are employing to fight inflation. It is anticipated that a string of financial crises in emerging and developing nations would be the primary factor contributing to the current state of the economy. When Russia seized control of Crimea from Ukraine in February 2014, the spark set off the ongoing confrontation between Russia and Ukraine. In 2014, combat broke out for the first time in the previous eight years, although it was swiftly put out of its misery due to naval mishaps, cyber warfare, and rising political tensions. Several scholars and international governing agencies have long anticipated that Russia will attack Ukraine in the style of a postmodern war characterized by the twenty-first century. This prediction was made for a lengthy period.
Top Market Trends
1. Rapidly Growing Population: Over the forecast period, the demand for IHC products for diagnostics and testing applications is also anticipated to be driven by the fast-growing elderly population and the high incidence of chronic and infectious diseases. For instance, according to a United Nations report from 2022, the world's elderly population is growing quickly. The percentage of people 65 and older is expected to increase from 10% in 2022 to 16% in 2050. Given that the senior population is more susceptible to chronic diseases, increasing this group will probably result in greater testing use, boosting the market.
2. Rising Product Approvals: The global Immunohistochemistry market is expected to increase due to increasing product approvals and the advent of technologically sophisticated Immunohistochemistry solutions for disease diagnosis. Additionally, the participation of major players in developing IHC solutions through partnerships with pharmaceutical drug manufacturers to create and deliver IHC companion diagnostic solutions for their immunotherapies presents lucrative opportunities for the market participants operating in the IHC market. Also, increasing public awareness of chronic diseases is anticipated to increase the demand for Immunohistochemistry products, eventually leading to a boom in the IHC market.
3. Increasing Usage of Personalized Medicine: Due to customized medicine's outstanding success in treating patients with non-small-cell lung cancer, its use is expected to increase. This way of choosing a course of treatment is supported by Immunohistochemistry techniques, which provide the most extensive and precise histological subtyping of malignancies. The growing accessibility of Immunohistochemistry assays that identify mutant proteins is a valuable replacement and addition to molecular testing. These methods are valuable new tools in contemporary cancer treatment since they are highly reproducible, involve moderate technical and interpretative complexity, and are relatively less expensive. Multiplex and mutation-specific Immunohistochemistry assays are crucial developments in personalized medicine and targeted therapy.
The global Immunohistochemistry market can be categorized on the following: Product, Application, End Use, and Region. Based on Product, the market can be categorized into Antibodies, Equipment, Reagents, and Kits. Additionally, by Application, the market can be segmented across Diagnostics, Drug Testing, and Forensic Applications. Moreover, based on End Use, the market can be split between Hospitals & Diagnostic Laboratories, Research Institutes, and Others. Likewise, based on Region, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Product
Antibodies to Account for the Largest Market Share Owing to Rising Applications within Pathology & Neuropathology
The global Immunohistochemistry market is expected to be dominated by the segment of antibodies during the forecast period. Regarding usage rate, monoclonal antibodies and products such as Fc-fusion, antibody fragments, and antibody-drug conjugates have taken the lead. The antibodies are used in various fields, including neuropathology, hematopathology, and pathology. During the projection period, the kits category is expected to grow quickly. The selection process for an acceptable combination of antibodies and stains against a tissue sample is eliminated when using kits, significantly decreasing the work required during the IHC procedure. This segment is anticipated to be driven by the items' compact design and user-friendliness. Kits are expected to grow with the fastest-growing CAGR during the forecast period. Due to the convenience of employing kits and their simplicity in research and development operations for academic and biotechnological procedures, the IHC kits segment is also anticipated to grow considerably throughout the projected period. Also, the sorted kits, which can be used without the difficulty of measuring precise antibody stains for tissues, save a tonne of time and aid in preventing human errors during the procedure, fueling demand for the market.
Based on Application
Diagnostics to Dominate Largest Market Share Owing to Rising Prevalence of Cancer and CVD
The diagnostics segment is expected to occupy the largest market share during the forecast period. Many chronic disorders, including cancer, cardiovascular diseases, viral diseases, diabetes mellitus, autoimmune diseases, and nephrological diseases, can be diagnosed with Immunohistochemistry tests. Furthermore, it is projected that the rising prevalence of chronic disorders will drive the diagnostics market. In 2021, the American Cancer Society projected that about 1.9 million new cancer cases would be recorded nationwide. IHC techniques are crucial for accurate and quick diagnosis as cancer cases increase. As a result, it is projected that growing R&D efforts by pharmaceutical firms to produce novel treatments will boost demand for IHC solutions and propel the market. Forensic applications are expected to grow with the fastest-growing CAGR during the forecast period due to rising applications within crime scenes.
Based on End Use
Hospitals & Diagnostics Laboratories to Accommodate Largest Market Share Owing to Rising Number of IHC Tests
The global Immunohistochemistry market is expected to be dominated by the segment of hospitals & diagnostics laboratories during the forecast period. The segment’s expansion was related to the large number of IHC tests performed in medical facilities. Furthermore, the need for hospitals with cutting-edge facilities has grown due to the healthcare sector's ongoing changes. Consequently, it is anticipated that this will increase this segment's revenue flow. The expanding use of technical innovations that have significantly improved value, such as automated sample preparation and digital pathology, will further drive the segment’s growth. Another important element that has greatly influenced the segment's growth in recent years is the increasing demand for disease diagnostics due to the increased frequency of chronic diseases. Research institutes are expected to grow with the fastest-growing CAGR during the forecast period due to the effectiveness of IHC staining techniques and their advantages over conventional special enzyme staining methods. The segment's expansion is further supported by the fact that IHC has become a crucial tool for detecting neurodegenerative illnesses via aberrant proteins in research applications for human and animal cells.
Based on Region
North America to Dominate Global Sales Owing to the Presence of Dominant Players
The global Immunohistochemistry market is expected to be dominated by the region of North America during the forecast period. The presence of significant market participants, the ease with which IHC solutions are accessible, the increased use of technologically advanced IHC instruments, and the arrival of newer IHC solutions are important factors influencing the growth of the regional market. The increasing use of these Immunohistochemistry tools in diagnostic facilities and laboratories can be attributed to the North American region's dominance. Also, the use of automated devices is increased by good reimbursement regulations in nations like the US and Canada, which supports the expansion of the IHC market in the North American area. Also, a rise in the number of cancer patients from North American nations is projected to enhance the need for these immunohistochemical methods. For instance, the American Cancer Society reports that 1,762,450 new cancer cases were diagnosed in 2019 and more than 606,880 cancer deaths in the country.
The region of Asia Pacific is expected to grow with the fastest-growing CAGR during the forecast period. The multinational players increased geographic presence in the Asian markets is mostly to blame. Also, a huge patient base in nations like China and India offers many clinical subjects for IHC R&D tests, which boosts income. Aside from these, the high incidence of chronic diseases and the growing aging of the population are the other factors driving the growth of the Asia Pacific Immunohistochemistry Market. In addition, the WHO predicts a 50% increase in CVD yearly occurrences in China between 2010 and 2030.
The leading players in the global Immunohistochemistry market are launching new products, merging with other companies, expanding regionally, and engaging in other strategic efforts in the field of IHC to address the growing demand for IHC assays in cancer diagnostics. For instance, Biocare Medical LLC introduced the ONCORE Pro in January 2021. This benchtop in vitro diagnostic system is fully automated and is used for In-situ Hybridization (ISH) and IHC applications. Abcam and Shuwen Biotech (Shuwen) formed a strategic partnership in January 2021 to create and market Companion Diagnostics (CDx). Abcam is giving recombinant rabbit monoclonal antibodies to Shuwen Biotech as part of the agreement for additional Immunohistochemistry verification.
The key players in the global Immunohistochemistry market include - Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (U.S.), F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd. (Switzerland), Merck KGAA (Germany), Danaher Corporation (U.S.), PerkinElmer Inc. (U.S.), Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc. (U.S.), Cell Signaling Technology Inc. (U.S.), Bio SB (U.S.), Abcam PLC (UK), Agilent Technologies Inc. (U.S.) among others.
Recent Market Developments
· September 2022: The Anti-PRAME (EPR 20330) Rabbit Monoclonal Primary Antibody was developed by Roche to identify the expression of the PRAME protein in tissue samples from patients with probable melanoma.
· February 2022: Thermo Fisher Scientific and Moderna have announced a long-term strategic partnership. Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. and Moderna, Inc are industry leaders in messenger RNA (mRNA) treatments and vaccines. The COVID-19 vaccine from Moderna and other investigational mRNA therapies in its pipeline will be able to be produced in large quantities only in the United States according to a 15-year strategic collaboration arrangement announced today by the global leader in servicing science.
· February 2022: Sanger Sequencing and Fragment Analysis Now Have Improved Capabilities Thanks to a Novel Genetic Analyzer. Sanger sequencing and fragment analysis are made possible by capillary electrophoresis (C.E. ), which is crucial for clinical research and furthering scientific discovery. Thermo Fisher Scientific unveiled the new Applied Biosystems SeqStudio Flex Series Genetic Analyzer to support customers' cutting-edge research in gene editing and infectious disease fields.
Segmentation of the Global Immunohistochemistry Market
- Drug Testing
- Forensic Applications
By End Use
- Hospitals & Diagnostic Laboratories
- Research Institutes
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (U.S.)
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd. (Switzerland)
- Merck KGAA (Germany)
- Danaher Corporation (U.S.)
- PerkinElmer Inc. (U.S.)
- Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc. (U.S.)
- Cell Signaling Technology Inc. (U.S.)
- Bio SB (U.S.)
- Abcam PLC (UK)
- Agilent Technologies Inc. (U.S.)
|Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
|Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options