The global Green Chemicals Market is valued at USD 82.5 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 204.2 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 12.1% between 2023 and 2030.
The Green Chemicals market, or the sustainable or bio-based chemicals market, refers to the production and use of chemicals derived from renewable resources or processes that have a reduced environmental impact compared to traditional petrochemical-based chemicals. These chemicals are designed to provide sustainable alternatives across various industries, including agriculture, automotive, construction, packaging, and more. The Green Chemicals market has experienced significant growth in recent years due to increasing environmental concerns, government regulations promoting sustainability, and shifting consumer preferences towards eco-friendly products. This demand is driven by the need to reduce carbon emissions, decrease reliance on fossil fuels, and minimize environmental pollution.
Green Chemicals Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
Furthermore, governments worldwide are implementing policies and regulations to encourage the adoption of Green Chemicals. These measures include tax incentives, renewable energy mandates, and carbon pricing mechanisms. Such support provides market stability and encourages investment in the research and development of green chemical technologies. In addition, continued research and development efforts are also driving technological advancements in the Green Chemicals sector. Biotechnology, fermentation, and catalysis innovations enable more efficient and cost-effective production of Green Chemicals. Advances in process optimization and scalability are also improving the competitiveness of green chemical manufacturing.
Moreover, the Green Chemicals market offers economic benefits such as job creation, regional development, and reduced reliance on imported fossil fuels. As the market expands, it creates opportunities for new industries, promotes sustainability-focused entrepreneurship, and drives economic growth. Additionally, increasing consumer awareness and preference for sustainable and environmentally friendly products drive the demand for Green Chemicals. Consumers are more conscious of the environmental impact of their products, leading to a shift towards greener alternatives. This trend is expected to continue as sustainability becomes integral to consumer decision-making.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
Ukraine is a major global supplier of raw materials and chemicals, including fertilizers, polymers, and other chemical products. The conflict can disrupt supply chains, leading to shortages and price fluctuations. If essential production facilities or transportation routes are affected, it could reduce the availability of raw materials required for green chemical production. The conflict between Russia and Ukraine has broader geopolitical implications and can create regional uncertainty. Investors and businesses might hesitate to make long-term commitments or investments in the affected areas. Uncertainty can hamper the growth and expansion of the Green Chemicals market, as companies may delay or reconsider their plans.
Top Market Trends
- Shift towards bio-based feedstocks: The chemical industry has traditionally relied on fossil fuels for chemical production. However, there is a growing shift towards bio-based feedstocks derived from renewable sources, such as plant biomass, agricultural waste, and algae. Bio-based feedstocks offer advantages like lower carbon emissions, reduced dependence on fossil fuels, and the potential for creating a circular economy by utilizing waste streams.
- Development of advanced biotechnology: Advances in biotechnology have opened up new possibilities for the green chemical industry. Genetic engineering and synthetic biology techniques are used to develop microorganisms and enzymes that can produce valuable chemicals more efficiently and sustainably. This has led to bio-based alternatives to conventional chemicals, including bioplastics, biofuels, and bio-based solvents.
- Growing demand for biodegradable and recyclable materials: With increasing awareness about plastic pollution and the need for waste reduction, there is a growing demand for biodegradable and recyclable materials. Green Chemicals are being used to develop biodegradable polymers, such as polylactic acid (PLA), which can replace conventional plastics in various applications. Additionally, efforts are being made to improve the recyclability of materials by designing products with fewer additives and separating different materials for easier recycling.
The global Green Chemicals market can be categorized on the following: Product, Application, and Region. Based on Product, the market can be categorized into Bio-Alcohols, Bio-Polymers, Bio-Solvents, Organic Acids, and Other Products. Additionally, based on Application, the market can be split further into Food & Beverages, Personal Care, Packaging, Automotive, Agriculture, and Other Applications. Likewise, based on Region, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Product
Bioalcohols to Lead Maximum Market Share Due to Increasing Awareness and Concerns About Climate Change
In 2022, Bio-Alcohols dominated the market. The increasing awareness and concerns about climate change, pollution, and depletion of fossil fuels have prompted the search for renewable and sustainable alternatives. Bio-Alcohols, such as bioethanol and biobutanol, are considered greener alternatives to fossil fuel-derived chemicals because they are produced from biomass feedstocks like corn, sugarcane, and lignocellulosic materials. They offer a reduced carbon footprint and lower greenhouse gas emissions than traditional petrochemicals. In addition, Bio-Alcohols contribute to enhancing energy security by reducing dependence on imported fossil fuels. They offer a domestically available and renewable source of energy and raw materials. This aspect is particularly crucial for countries that heavily rely on energy imports.
Based on Application
Personal Care to Mention Dominion Owing to Better Integration of Technology
Between 2023 and 2030, the personal care channel is anticipated to grow fastest due to the increasing consumer demand for sustainable and environmentally friendly products supported by regulatory measures and industry initiatives. This shift towards Green Chemicals is expected to continue as more consumers become conscious of the impact of their choices on the environment and their health.
Based on Region
Asia Pacific to Dominate Global Sales Owing to Changing Lifestyles and Increasing Popularity
There is a growing awareness and concern about environmental issues in the Asia Pacific region, including air and water pollution, climate change, and waste management. Consumers and governments increasingly seek sustainable alternatives to conventional chemicals to reduce their environmental footprint. In addition, governments across the Asia Pacific region are implementing various policies and regulations to promote the use of Green Chemicals. These policies often include incentives and support for businesses that adopt sustainable practices, such as tax incentives, grants, and subsidies. This regulatory push encourages industries to shift towards greener alternatives.
The market demand for Green Chemicals in North America has steadily increased during projected years. One of the main drivers of the market demand for Green Chemicals in North America is the growing awareness and concern about environmental issues, such as climate change and pollution. Consumers, businesses, and governments increasingly seek sustainable alternatives to traditional chemicals to reduce their carbon footprint and minimize negative impacts on ecosystems. Green Chemicals offer a way to address these concerns by providing more eco-friendly options across various industries. In addition, the market demand for Green Chemicals in North America is observed across multiple industries, including agriculture, automotive, construction, cosmetics, packaging, and textiles.
Numerous international and regional actors compete fiercely on the global market. Major corporations engage in strategic alliances, mergers & acquisitions, and joint ventures to acquire a market advantage. By creating demand, investing in infrastructure and technology, developing innovative practices, and implementing supportive policies, these players contribute to the industry's expansion and transition towards more sustainable and efficient methods.
The key players in the global Green Chemicals market include - Cargill Inc. (U.S.), BASF SE (Germany), Bio-Kleen Products Inc. (U.S.), Balfour Beatty PLC (UK), DuPont Industrial (U.S.), Biosciences, Dryvit Systems Inc. (U.S.), Anderson Corporation (U.S.), Palmer Industries Inc. (U.S.), Plycem USA Inc. (U.S.), Silver Line Building Products LLC (U.S.), Thermafiber Inc. (U.S.), Huber Engineered Woods LLC (U.S.), Bayer Material Science AG (Germany), Kingspan Group (Ireland), USG Corporation (U.S.), Koninklijke DSM NV (Netherlands), Calera Corporation (U.S.) among others.
Recent Market Developments
- June 2023: DuPont Industrial, along with The Chemours Company and Corteva, Inc agreed to resolve all PFAS-related drinking water claims of a defined class of public water systems.
- June 2022: JSW Cement Limited entered the construction chemicals sector by launching a new range of green products, which consume less water during application. It replaces the use of river sand during concreting with screen slag, thereby conserving natural resources and preventing landslides, floods, and air pollution.
Segmentation of the Global Green Chemicals Market
- Product (Bio-Alcohols, Bio-Polymers, Bio-Solvents, Organic Acids, Other Products)
- Application (Food & Beverages, Personal Care, Packaging, Automotive, Agriculture, Other Applications)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Cargill Inc. (U.S.)
- BASF SE (Germany)
- Bio-Kleen Products Inc. (U.S.)
- Balfour Beatty PLC (UK)
- DuPont Industrial (U.S.)
- Dryvit Systems Inc. (U.S.)
- Anderson Corporation (U.S.)
- Palmer Industries Inc. (U.S.)
- Plycem USA Inc. (U.S.)
- Silver Line Building Products LLC (U.S.)
- Thermafiber Inc. (U.S.)
- Huber Engineered Woods LLC (U.S.)
- Bayer Material Science AG (Germany)
- Kingspan Group (Ireland)
- USG Corporation (U.S.)
- Koninklijke DSM NV (Netherlands)
- Calera Corporation (U.S.)
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options