The Global Carbon Steel Market is valued at USD 932.02 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 1189.86 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR of 3.10% over the forecast period.
This market is growing mostly because there is more demand for structural steel in developed economies and more construction in developing economies. Construction is one of the most important economic sectors in the United States. It employs over 1.5 million people and contributes $1 trillion annually to the economy. The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) has estimated that increasing federal investment in infrastructure would increase GDP by about 0.7 percent on average over 10 years, which could amount to as much as $2 trillion over a decade if done effectively. Carbon Steel product demand is expected to increase due to infrastructure spending, especially in Asia and the Pacific. About half of all future infrastructure spending will likely go to the Asia-Pacific region. More money is being allocated to infrastructure projects in nations like India, China, and Southeast Asia to increase economic growth.
Carbon Steel Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
Arcelor Mittal leads the market with a share of 31%. The company has products such as medium- and heavy-duty hot-rolled Carbon Steels. JFE Steel Corporation is next in line with a share of 17%. The company manufactures cold-rolled, hot-rolled, and coated Carbon Steels. According to the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), the value of new home construction is projected to grow at a rate of 4.1 percent each year through 2025. This growth is important because it creates jobs and contributes to economic stability. The major cost factors influencing the demand for Carbon Steel include raw material prices, labor costs, and shipping costs. The elevated price of crude oil has been a major factor contributing to increased costs across all sectors, including the Carbon Steel industry. In addition, stringent environmental regulations in developed countries also drive-up Carbon Steel production costs. Government regulations on Carbon Steel are critical factors driving this market’s growth. For instance, China has imposed stringent emission norms on automobiles which are expected to drive the growth of this market in China. In addition, Europe has set stringent standards for automobiles, propelling the growth of this market in that region. The increasing usage of Carbon Steel in various applications is also helping to propel the growth of this market.
The major restraint hampering the growth of the Carbon Steel Market is the low availability of primary and secondary raw materials. However, developing new industrial processes and technologies that can enhance productivity and reduce manufacturing costs would help overcome this restraint. The market for Carbon Steel is expected to experience significant constraints soon due to inadequate supply and high prices. Carbon Steel has been a popular choice for medium to heavy-duty applications due to its durability and low cost. However, we are now seeing more companies turning to other metals, such as aluminum and stainless steel, when manufacturing their products. This is mainly because Carbon Steel is less strong than these other metals, making it difficult to manufacture lightweight and durable products. However, growth opportunities still exist for companies that can identify these restraints and capitalize on them. For example, certain manufacturers may choose to focus on producing products that use Carbon Steel instead of aluminum or stainless steel. Doing so would help increase demand for this type of metal, leading to higher prices and more production capacity. The restraints include higher prices for raw materials and pollution concerns. One way to overcome these restraints is by developing new manufacturing processes that reduce the amount of pollution generated during production. Another way to overcome these restraints is to increase the usage of recycled materials in Carbon Steel production. Both solutions would require much investment, but they are likely to be worth it in the long run because they would result in lower emissions and improved sustainability.
Technological Impact on the Market
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
The impact of technologies on the growth of the Carbon Steel Market is expected to be significant over the next few years. Some major technologies expected to drive this market growth include advanced metallurgy, high-temperature drawing (HTD), and coatings. Advanced metallurgy is useful in increasing the strength and durability of Carbon Steels. This is because it allows for improved compositions and shapes of microstructure, which in turn leads to higher performance and toughness properties. HTD is also expected to significantly boost the Carbon Steel Market growth over the next few years. This is because it helps manufacturers reduce production time, cost, and environmental impact associated with manufacturing Carbon Steels. Coatings are another technology that is expected to positively impact the growth of the Carbon Steel Market over the next few years. This is because they help increase protection against corrosion and other forms of wear and tear, thereby enhancing product life cycle capabilities.
Top Market Trends
- Rapid growth in the renewable energy sector is driving the demand for Carbon Steel in industries such as construction and wind turbines.
- Increasingly stringent environmental regulations also contribute to the demand for Carbon Steel, as it is an environmentally friendly option compared with other materials.
- The rising popularity of eco-friendly home and office appliances is also boosting the demand for Carbon Steel in the consumer goods market.
- The growing automotive industry also benefits from the increasing demand for Carbon Steel in components such as engine blocks and frames.
- Rising raw materials prices continue to drive increased spending on Carbon Steel products, thereby amplifying market growth prospects over the long term.
- In addition to these major players, numerous small and midsize businesses are active in this market. They offer innovative products and services that differentiate them from their competitors. This helps them gain an edge over their rivals in the marketplace.
The Global Carbon Steel Market is segmented based on Types, Applications, and Region. Based on Types, the market is segmented into Low Carbon Steel, Medium Carbon Steel, and High Carbon Steel. In addition, based on the Applications, the market is segmented into Shipbuilding, Automotive, Construction, Infrastructure and Transport, and Other Applications. Likewise, based on the Region, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Types
Low-Carbon Steel is expected to dominate the Carbon Steel Market during the forecast period, accounting for over two-thirds of the overall market volume. This is due to its widespread applications in automotive and construction sectors, where low cost is critical. As global industrialization advances and more countries adopt advanced manufacturing technologies, the demand for high-quality Carbon Steel is also expected to grow significantly. This can be attributed to the increasing adoption of electric vehicles and increased construction activities in emerging economies such as India and China. Medium Carbon Steel will be the second most popular Carbon Steel during the forecast period. This is due to its wide range of applications, including aerospace and defense, infrastructure, and power generation. High-Carbon Steel will become more prominent over the next five years owing to its increased applications in precision machining and other high-value industries. This is due to new alloying technologies that allow manufacturers to produce high-quality steels with superior performance characteristics.
Based on Applications
Shipbuilding is the largest application segment of the Carbon Steel Market, with a market share of about 40%. Automotive is the second-largest application segment, with a market share of about 30%. Construction is the third-largest application segment, with a market share of about 15%. Infrastructure & Transport is the fourth-largest application segment, with a market share of about 10%. The other application segments have a negligible market share.
Based on Region
North America was the largest market for Carbon Steel in 2021, with a revenue of $2.1 billion. This market will grow at a rate of 7.8% over the next seven years. The Asia Pacific region was the second-largest market in 2021, with a revenue of $1.5 billion. This market is expected to grow at 6.9% over the same period. Europe was the third-largest market for Carbon Steel in 2021, with a revenue of $1.3 billion. This market is expected to grow at 7% over the next seven years. Latin America was the fourth-largest market in 2021, with a revenue of $0.9 billion. This market is expected to grow at a rate of 5% over the next seven years. Middle East & Africa was the fifth-largest market for Carbon Steels in 2021, with revenue of $0.7 billion. This market is expected to grow at a rate of 4% over the next seven years.
The key players in the Global Carbon Steel Market include- JFE Steel Corporation (Japan), HBIS Group (China), AK Steel Corporation (US), Evraz PLC (UK), Bao Steel Group (China), Arcelor Mittal (Luxembourg), Nippon Steel Corporation (Japan), United States Steel (US), Curtis Steel Co. Ltd. (US), Omega Steel Company (US) and others.
- The market is dominated by players with large footprints, such as ArcelorMittal (MT), ThyssenKrupp (TDK), and Nucor Corporation (NUE). These companies are aggressively expanding their business offerings in Carbon Steels across key regions such as China, Europe, and the Americas.
- JFE Steel is another leading player in the Carbon Steel Market with sales of over $20 billion cumulatively. The company offers a wide range of products, such as hot-rolled coils, cold-rolled coils, welded wire rods, and bars. JFE Steel has achieved this position by investing heavily in R&D and offering superior customer service.
- JFE Steel Corporation - JSW Steel India Pvt Ltd., a joint venture company between Japan's JFE Steel Corporation and Indian steelmaker Jindal Saw Limited, has launched a 0.35mm-thick low-alloy mild steel plate for automobiles under the brand name "Super Alloy." This product offers reduced weight while maintaining strength properties comparable to conventional high-alloy steels.
- United States Steel Corporation - USX Corp., an integrated producer and trade distributor of heavy metals and specialty materials, has announced the launch of its new 5160 Carbon Steel product family that meets stringent requirements for aerospace manufacturing applications
- The adoption of Alloy 600 as a mainstream alloy type due to its excellent properties such as strength and corrosion resistance. The growing demand for reduced weight and improved performance across various applications is also expected to boost the demand for Carbon Steel in the coming years.
Segmentation of the Global Carbon Steel Market
- Types (Low Carbon Steel, Medium Carbon Steel, High Carbon Steel)
- Applications (Shipbuilding, Automotive, Construction, Infrastructure & Transport, Other Applications)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- JFE Steel Corporation (Japan)
- HBIS Group (China)
- AK Steel Corporation (US)
- Evraz PLC (UK)
- Bao Steel Group (China)
- Arcelor Mittal (Luxembourg)
- Nippon Steel Corporation (Japan)
- United States Steel (US)
- Curtis Steel Co. Ltd. (US)
- Omega Steel Company (US)
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options