The global Canned Wines Market is valued at USD 0.2 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 0.6 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 13.50% between 2023 and 2030.
Cans are beneficial for the environment because they are 100% recyclable and the only closed-loop wine packaging option. The packaging can account for up to 46% of a wine's overall CO2 footprint, with glass packaging performing the worst. The wine typically produces four times less CO2 per liter than wine in bottles. There are a few distinct qualities that may be used to summarize the factors that led to canned wine's popularity. The inside epoxy resin works as a barrier between the wine and the aluminum, ensuring preservation for six to fifteen months. It can also shield the wine from light, protecting its quality. Additionally, individual serving cans eliminate the need to open a bottle of wine in order to enjoy one glass of wine by enabling consumers to combine glasses of various wines with various courses. Although there are no specific studies on the wine industry, a study on the effects of LCA on beer production in the UK shows that 1 liter of beer packaged in glass bottles requires 17.5 MJ of primary energy and produces 842 g of CO2 equivalence emissions, whereas aluminum cans need 11.3 MJ of primary energy and emit 574 g of CO2 equivalence. Studies show that aluminum cans recycle at a rate of 67%, which is higher than that of other beverage containers.
Canned Wines Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
- One key driver of the Canned Wines market is the increasing demand for portable and single-serving wine options. Canned wine allows consumers to enjoy a glass of wine without the need to open a full bottle, making it a popular choice for picnics, beach days, and other outdoor activities.
- The sparkling wine segment accounted for the largest revenue share of more than 55.43% in 2022
- The supermarket & hypermarket category dominated the distribution channel segment and accounted for the largest revenue share of more than 52.32% in 2022
- North America made the largest contribution to the global Canned Wines market by accounting for a revenue share of over 49.45% in 2022
Top Market Trends
- Increasing demand for convenience and portability has led to a surge in the Canned Wines market. Consumers are drawn to the ease of carrying and consuming canned wines, making it a popular choice for outdoor events and picnics.
- Health-conscious consumers are seeking lower-calorie options, and canned wines have emerged as a trendy alternative. With the rise of wellness culture, the market is witnessing a growing number of low-sugar and organic canned wine options to cater to health-conscious drinkers.
- The millennial and Gen Z demographics are driving the growth of canned wine sales. These younger consumers appreciate the unique branding, vibrant design, and affordability associated with canned wines, making it a hip beverage choice for parties and social gatherings.
- Sustainability is becoming important in the market for canned wine. Glass bottles are more environmentally damaging than cans since they are heavier and more difficult to recycle. Brands are increasingly adopting sustainable packaging practices, including using recyclable materials and exploring innovative solutions like biodegradable cans.
- The introduction of premium and high-quality canned wine options is elevating the market. Previously associated with lower-quality wines, canned options now offer a wider variety, including premium wines from renowned vineyards. This has attracted a more discerning consumer base seeking upscale alternatives.
- The increasing popularity of wine in alternative formats, such as spritzers and cocktails, is fueling the Canned Wines market's growth. Canned wine-based cocktails, like canned mimosas and wine spritzers, allow consumers to experiment with different flavors and enjoy a refreshing twist on traditional wine drinking.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
Convenience and portability have become significant drivers as consumers increasingly seek on-the-go solutions. Canned wine offers a lightweight alternative to glass bottles, making it easier to transport and consume in outdoor settings. Secondly, cost-effectiveness plays a role in the market's growth. Canned wine often has a lower price point compared to traditional bottled wine, making it more accessible to budget-conscious consumers. Additionally, the eco-friendly aspect of cans, which are recyclable and require less energy to produce, appeals to environmentally conscious customers.
Despite these driving factors, there are economic factors restraining the Canned Wines market. The perception of inferior quality compared to bottled wine is a significant challenge. Consumers are often hesitant to equate canned wine with premium wine offerings, limiting its potential market share. Moreover, the high capital investment required for canning facilities restricts the number of wineries that can enter the market. This limits competition and leads to a concentration of power among a few established players. Thus, while the Canned Wines market is driven by convenience and cost, challenges such as perception and capital investment act as restraints.
The global Canned Wines market can be categorized on the following: Product, Distribution Channel, and Regions. Based on the Product, the market can be categorized into Red Wine, White Wine, Rosé Wine, Sparkling Wine, and other products. By Distribution Channel, the market is segmented into Supermarkets & Hypermarkets, Online Retailers, Direct-to-Consumer (DTC), and other distribution channels. Likewise, based on Region, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Product
The Fizzy and Refreshing Qualities of Sparkling Wines Make them Perfect for Outdoor Events.
The sparkling wine segment dominates the Canned Wines market primarily for two reasons. Firstly, the effervescent nature of sparkling wines aligns well with the convenience and portability offered by canned packaging. The fizzy and refreshing qualities of sparkling wines make them perfect for outdoor events, beach parties, and picnics, where the grab-and-go nature of canned wines is highly appreciated. Secondly, sparkling wines have traditionally been associated with celebratory occasions, making them a popular choice for consumers seeking a more festive experience. The combination of convenience, portability, and celebratory appeal has led to the dominance of the sparkling wine segment in the Canned Wines market.
Based on Distribution Channel
Supermarkets Often Negotiate Favorable Pricing with Suppliers, Making Canned Wines More Accessible and Affordable
Supermarkets and hypermarkets dominate the Canned Wines market due to their unmatched distribution network and convenience-focused approach. These large-scale retail chains have established a strong presence in the market, offering a variety of products to cater to diverse consumer preferences. Supermarkets, with their extensive shelf space and dedicated wine sections, provide a conducive environment for showcasing and promoting canned wines. The ability to buy canned wines alongside other grocery items simplifies the shopping experience and saves time for consumers. Moreover, supermarkets often negotiate favorable pricing with suppliers, making canned wines more accessible and affordable to a larger customer base. Overall, the widespread network, convenience, and competitive pricing make supermarkets and hypermarkets the go-to destination for consumers looking to purchase canned wines.
Based on Region
Innovative Developments and Innovations in Packaging are Expanding the North American Canned Wines market.
Since consumers increasingly favor the portability and convenience of canned wine over traditional wine bottles, the canned wine business in North America has experienced tremendous expansion. The region has seen numerous developments in this market, driven by both established and emerging players. For instance, Infinite Monkey Theorem, a Colorado-based winery, was one of the first to introduce canned wine to the North American market. They produce a range of canned wines, including red, white, and rosé, catering to the changing preferences of consumers. Another notable development is Underwood, a brand by Union Wine Company. They offer a variety of canned wines, such as Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris, Rosé, and Bubbles, targeting millennials seeking high-quality wine in a portable package. These innovative developments and innovations in packaging are expanding the North American Canned Wines market and attracting a new generation of consumers looking for convenience and quality in their wine-drinking experience. For instance, Union Wine Company in Oregon introduced its Underwood range of canned wines, which gained immense popularity due to its affordability and ease of use. Another example is the California-based brand Sans Wine Co., which specializes in producing canned sparkling wines using organic grapes
The Canned Wines market is witnessing intense competition as companies strive to capture a larger share of this rapidly growing industry. With changing consumer preferences and increased convenience, companies are investing in innovations and marketing strategies to stay ahead. For instance, Francis Ford Coppola Winery introduced Sofia Mini, a canned sparkling wine, targeting millennials and offering a chic and portable alternative. Similarly, Union Wine Co. launched its Underwood line of canned wine, offering a variety of wine options in convenient and eco-friendly packaging. These developments highlight the increasing efforts made by players to capitalize on the rising demand for canned wines.
The key players in the global Canned Wines market include - E & J Gallo Winery; Union Wine Company; Integrated Beverage Group LLC; Sans Wine Co.; Sula Vineyards Pvt. Ltd.; The Family Coppola; The Canned Wine Company among others.
Recent Market Developments
- In April 2023, Canned Wine Co. acquired UK peer The Copper Crew and plans to expand through more canned-wine M&A. Both companies produce wines solely packaged in aluminum cans in a bid to reduce the carbon footprint from shipping heavy glass bottles.
- In June 2022, To promote their branding at the events and foster fan support, E.&J. Gallo became the official wine sponsor of the National Football League. Through this sponsorship, Gallo has developed the ability to diversify and grow its product line in response to changing consumer wants and tastes worldwide.
- In December 2022, Archer Roose, one of the leading canned wine companies with Elizabeth Banks as its Chief Creative Officer, launched across the country at Target in over 300 stores.
Segmentation of the Global Canned Wines Market
- Product (Red Wine, White Wine, Rosé Wine, Sparkling Wine, Other Products)
- Distribution channel (Supermarket & Hypermarket, Online, Direct-to-Consumer (DTC), Others)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Central & South America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- E & J Gallo Winery; Union Wine Company; Integrated Beverage Group LLC; Sans Wine Co.; Sula Vineyards Pvt. Ltd.; The Family Coppola; The Canned Wine Company
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options