The global Anime Market is valued at USD 28.2 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 61.7 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 10.3% between 2023 and 2030.
Anime is a term used to describe Japanese animation. Anime is a popular subgenre that can be found on various streaming services and TV shows. Anime has a worldwide fan base, not only in Japan. The popularity of Anime content is growing significantly, notably in the United States. Die-hard fans of the Japanese art of content development who import their favorite programs, new or old, drive significant sales of Anime programming. Fans can obtain their favorite content on physical media or digitally through fan clubs that produce unofficially translated episodes.
Anime Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
Increasing TV series coverage, expanding popularity of online videos and online shows, and greater creation of Anime films are assisting Anime in reaching a wider audience. Rising popularity and penetration of over-the-top (OTT) services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hotstar, as well as online video platforms such as YouTube, are driving the expansion of the Anime sector.
- The growing preference for online distribution and application games, which account for the majority of overseas sales in Japan, is expected to drive industry expansion.
- With a significant revenue share in 2022, the merchandise category led the Anime market and is expected to maintain its dominance throughout the forecast period.
- In terms of revenue, Asia Pacific dominated the worldwide Anime market in 2022 and is expected to maintain its dominance during the projected period, along with a market share of 65.80%.
- In the forecast period of 2023 to 2030, the North American region is expected to have the fastest CAGR.
Top Market Trends
- The Anime market has grown significantly in several locations, creating numerous prospects for industry participants. The primary regions driving the market's expansion are North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific. With a vast fan base and an increasing number of licensing deals, North America has emerged as a prominent market for Anime. Europe has also grown in popularity, with countries like France, Germany, and the United Kingdom contributing to the market's expansion. With a rich cultural past and a loyal fan base, the Asia-Pacific area, notably Japan and China, remains a stronghold for Anime. The growing popularity of Anime in various regions creates chances for content distribution, collaboration, and market expansion.
- The digital revolution has altered how Anime is consumed and distributed. For many Anime fans, online streaming sites have become their primary source of entertainment. This transition opens up chances for content creators and distributors to use digital platforms to reach a larger audience. Creating user-friendly streaming interfaces, investing in high-quality digital infrastructure, and seeking partnerships with streaming behemoths can all help to increase market penetration and income creation.
- Anime has expanded into a variety of mediums, including movies, television episodes, video games, and merchandising. Collaborations between Anime studios and other entertainment industries present chances for market expansion and engaging fan experiences. Joint projects, crossovers, and adaptations into multiple mediums can all bring in new audiences and produce new revenue sources.
- Advances in cutting-edge technologies such as Artificial Intelligence (AI), Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), and the Internet of Things (IoT), together with rising disposable income, are likely to drive market expansion. Furthermore, the younger generation has increased its spending on the most recent, technologically advanced gadgets and items, which is projected to push Anime industry growth even further throughout the projection period.
- The growing popularity of Anime games with virtual surround sound and in-game chat is having a big impact on market demand. Advances in novel technologies, such as virtual reality (VR), and the resulting spike in demand for VR gaming equipment are expected to propel the Anime industry's growth during the projection period. Furthermore, the wide range of Anime content distribution channels, including television, comic books, Over the Top (OTT) streaming platforms, games, social media, and others, is another driver fueling the Anime industry's growth during the forecast period.
- The Anime market is expanding mostly as a result of the increased popularity and penetration of OTT services such as Amazon Prime, Hotstar, and Netflix, as well as online video sites such as YouTube. Key players' increasing embrace of cutting-edge technology such as 3D, artificial intelligence, and blockchain is projected to provide the best in terms of competitive advantages through creative storyboarding methodologies. This is projected to drive global Anime market growth throughout the forecast period.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
Economic downturns or recessions can cause consumers to cut back on non-essential purchases such as Anime goods, DVDs, streaming subscriptions, and similar products. When consumers have less spare income, they may prioritize necessities and reduce their amusement spending. Anime production and licensing can be costly. Instability in the economy can raise production and licensing expenses, making it more difficult for studios to generate new material or obtain the rights to popular programs. This may cause a slowdown in the release of new Anime. The development of the COVID-19 pandemic had a huge impact on the market, with several animated television series, including some already in production, being canceled or postponed. Due to the complete lockdowns imposed in major cities, theatre releases and live performances were also hampered.
The Global Anime Market is segregated into the below-mentioned segments as:
The global Anime market can be categorized into Type, Genre, Region. The Anime market can be categorized into T.V., Movie, Video, Internet Distribution, Merchandising, Music, Pachinko, Live Entertainment based on Type. The Anime market can be categorized into Action & Adventure, Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Romance & Drama, Sports, Other Genres based on Genre. The Anime market can be categorized into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa based on Region.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Type
Merchandising to Lead Maximum Market Share Due Increased Demand for Anime Stuff such as Figurines, T-shirts, Posters, and Key Chains
In 2022, the merchandising segment is poised to dominate the global market for Anime. This is due to the younger population's increased demand for Anime stuff such as figurines, t-shirts, posters, and key chains. These items can be purchased through a variety of online and offline outlets. Individuals' increased desire to collect products related to their favorite Anime series is expected to boost market expansion. The enormous development and popularity of Anime characters among viewers has created a possibility for market participants to gain large cash just by printing Anime characters on numerous conventional consumer products. These items are commonly available via online and offline sales channels. Furthermore, several consumer product manufacturers collaborate with Anime creators to sell their products and maximize sales revenue.
Based on Genre
Action and Adventure segment Expects Dominion Owing to the Historical Dominance of the Genre
With a market share of more than 38% in 2022, the action and adventure category is expected to lead the market over the course of the forecast period. This is mostly because action- and adventure-based television shows like Dragonball, One Piece, One Punch Man, Naruto, Bleach, Demon Slayer, and Jujutsu Kaisen have historically dominated the market. Over the course of the projected year, this is therefore anticipated to fuel the segment's expansion.
Based on Region
The Asia Pacific to Dominate Global Sales Owing to High Demand for Anime Entertainment among Young People
In 2022, the Asia Pacific region emerged as the dominant player in the Anime market. This is due to the increasing popularity of Anime entertainment among young people in China and India. Furthermore, China's preference for generating in-house Anime material is fueling the region's Anime market expansion. Anime originated in Japan, which is the largest consumer of Anime programming. Furthermore, the existence of a large number of Anime creators, artists, production houses, and other stakeholders led to the creation of a large number of Anime shows and characters, which progressively gained appeal among global consumers. There are approximately 622 animation studios in Japan, with approximately 542 studios located just in Tokyo. Individuals are encouraged to pursue their careers in this profession. The expanding popularity of comic books, as well as the development of various video games based on Anime characters, contribute to revenue generation. This is a growing market.
The increasing popularity of streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu, which make it easier for fans to access and view Anime content, is the primary regional trend in the Anime market in North America. This is propelling the region's Anime market forward, as fans can now watch both new and older Anime content in one accessible location. Another major trend in the region is the growing popularity of conventions and events, such as Anime and comic book conventions, which allow fans to meet their favorite Anime producers and celebrities, as well as purchase memorabilia and collectibles.
The global Anime market is highly competitive, with various key players operating in the industry. Some of the major companies in the market include Pierrot Co., Ltd.; Production I.G, Inc.; Studio Ghibli, Inc.; Sunrise, Inc. (Bandai Namco Filmworks); Toei Animation Co., Ltd.; Bones Inc.; Kyoto Animation Co., Ltd.; MADHOUSE, Inc.; Crunchyroll (Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc.); Progressive Animation Works Co., Ltd. (PA Works); Good Smile Company, Inc.; Discotek Media; Sentai Holdings, LLC (AMC Networks); VIZ Media, LLC; Ufotable Co., Ltd.; Atomic Flare. These businesses are concentrating their efforts on research and development in order to create unique and long-lasting products. Strategic alliances, mergers, and acquisitions are also common in the industry as companies seek to extend their product offerings and market presence.
The key players in the global Anime market include - Pierrot Co. Ltd. (Japan), Production IG (Japan), Studio Ghibli (Japan), Sunrise Inc. (Japan), Toei Animation Co. Ltd. (Japan), Bones (Japan), Kyoto Animation Co. Ltd. (Japan), MADHOUSE (Japan), Crunchyroll (U.S.), Progressive Animation Works Co. Ltd. (Japan), Good Smile Company (Japan), Discotek Media (U.S.), Sentai Holdings LLC (U.S.), VIZ Media LLC (U.S.), Ufotable Co. Ltd., Atomic Flare (U.S.) among others.
Recent Market Developments
- In February 2022, Bandai Namco Holdings announced the restructuring of its IP Production Unit. The umbrella company will establish a new IP Production unit by integrating its formation, music, and video production operations. To achieve this initiative, Bandai Namco is developing a new commercial organization called Bandai Namco Filmworks Inc. by combining Sunrise, an animated film studio, Bandai Namco Arts, and Bandai Namco Rights Marketing.
- In August 2022, Netflix has agreed to license 13 Anime movies as part of a cooperation launched by Nippon TV. To attract viewers from all around the world, Netflix is constantly attempting to expand its massive library to make room for currently airing, forthcoming, and classic series.
- In February 2022, Sunrise, Inc.'s parent firm announced a restructuring in which Sunrise, Inc. was merged into a new company called Bandai Namco Filmworks, Inc. This decision was made in response to the need for tighter control and more efficient corporate management, which is projected to boost the Anime industry's growth during the forecast period.
Segmentation of the Global Anime Market
- Internet Distribution
- Live Entertainment
- Action & Adventure
- Sci-Fi & Fantasy
- Romance & Drama
- Other Genres
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Pierrot Co. Ltd. (Japan)
- Production IG (Japan)
- Studio Ghibli (Japan)
- Sunrise Inc. (Japan)
- Toei Animation Co. Ltd. (Japan)
- Bones (Japan)
- Kyoto Animation Co. Ltd. (Japan)
- MADHOUSE (Japan)
- Crunchyroll (U.S.)
- Progressive Animation Works Co. Ltd. (Japan)
- Good Smile Company (Japan)
- Discotek Media (U.S.)
- Sentai Holdings LLC (U.S.)
- VIZ Media LLC (U.S.)
- Ufotable Co. Ltd.
- Atomic Flare (U.S.)
|Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
|Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options