The global surface disinfectant Market is valued at USD 2.16 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 4.00 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 8.00% over the forecast period.
The Global surface disinfectant Market is driven by the rising incidence of hospital-acquired infections (HAIs), the increasing number of surgical procedures, and favorable government initiatives. The growing healthcare expenditure, improving sanitation levels in developing countries, and rising awareness about the importance of surface disinfection are some of the other factors driving the growth of this market. Hospital-acquired infections are a major concern worldwide, as they can lead to serious complications and even death. The World Health Organization estimates that HAIs affect approximately 1 in 10 patients globally, and result in millions of deaths each year. surface disinfectants are used to prevent the spread of infection by killing bacteria and other microorganisms on surfaces. The rising incidence of hospital-acquired infections (HAIs) is one of the major drivers of the surface disinfectant Market. HAIs are a major concern for healthcare facilities as they can lead to increased morbidity and mortality rates. In addition, HAIs can also result in lengthier hospital stays and increased healthcare costs. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that there are approximately 1.7 million HAIs in the United States each year, with an estimated cost of $9.5 billion. As the incidence of HAIs continues to rise, the demand for surface disinfectants is expected to increase as well. One of the main reasons for the rising incidence of HAIs is the increasing number of immunocompromised patients. Immunocompromised patients are susceptible to infection because their immune systems are unable to properly combat germs and other pathogens. Surface disinfectants are essential for preventing the transmission of infection among these individuals. Another element boosting the surface disinfectant market is the increasing number of outpatient operations. Outpatient operations are often less intrusive than inpatient procedures, but they still pose an infection risk. By avoiding the movement of germs and other diseases from one patient to another, the use of surface disinfectants can assist to lessen this risk. The growing frequency of hospital-acquired diseases is a major market driver for surface disinfectants.
Surface Disinfectant Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
Another reason fueling the growth of the surface disinfectant market is the increasing number of surgical procedures. This is attributable to a multitude of variables, including an aging population, advancements in medical technology, and a rise in chronic illnesses requiring surgical intervention. This trend is positive for the surface disinfectant market, as these solutions are vital for maintaining the cleanliness and safety of operating rooms. Hospitals and other healthcare institutions are under pressure to maintain sterile surfaces and are turning to surface disinfectants to fulfill this problem. On the market are a variety of surface disinfectants, each with its own advantages and downsides. Choosing the appropriate solution for a specific use might be difficult, but it is vital for preventing infection among patients and personnel. The risk of infection during surgery can be lowered by employing surface disinfectants prior to and after the procedure. In 2021, there were roughly 51 million surgical procedures conducted in the United States, according to the American College of Surgeons. Government measures also contribute to the expansion of the surface disinfectant market. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently launched a nationwide campaign titled "Clean Hands Count" to promote hand cleanliness among healthcare professionals. Additionally, the CDC has created standards for environmental cleanliness and infection control in healthcare institutions. It is anticipated that these activities will enhance the utilization of surface disinfectants in hospitals and other healthcare settings.
The surface disinfectant Market is being driven by favorable government initiatives. These initiatives are aimed at reducing the spread of healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) and ensuring patient safety. In particular, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued guidance on the use of surface disinfectants in healthcare settings. This guidance recommends that all high-touch surfaces be cleaned with an EPA-registered hospital-grade disinfectant at least once per day. In addition, the CDC has developed a toolkit to help hospitals implement an effective surface disinfection program. This toolkit includes an instructional video, poster, and step-by-step guide. The CDC also offers free webinars on surface disinfection best practices. Hospitals are not the only healthcare facilities that are benefitting from these initiatives. Long-term care facilities, such as nursing homes, are also seeing an increased focus on surface disinfection. In fact, the CDC has released specific guidance on cleaning and disinfecting surfaces in long-term care settings. Overall, these government initiatives are having a positive impact on the surface disinfectant Market by raising awareness of the importance of proper cleaning and disinfection practices.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Competitive benchmarking
- Historical data & forecasts
- Company revenue shares
- Regional opportunities
- Latest trends & dynamics
- Power BI Report (Dashboard)
The market for surface disinfectants is expanding fast due to rising awareness of cleanliness and cross-contamination risks. Nonetheless, this market's expansion is being restrained by a number of significant factors. The availability of raw resources is the leading constraint. Due to the current state of the world, raw ingredients for surface disinfectants are in short supply. This has resulted in a price increase for these goods, which is inhibiting market expansion. The second limiting factor is the absence of standardization. There is no internationally recognized standard for surface disinfectants, making it difficult for manufacturers to create consistent treatments. This lack of uniformity also makes it difficult for consumers to compare and select the most appropriate product for their needs. Regulatory uncertainty is the third limitation. There are no particular laws governing surface disinfectants in many nations. This ambiguity makes it challenging for businesses to comply with rules and impedes market expansion. Despite these significant restrictions, the surface disinfectant Market is anticipated to expand at a quick rate over the next few years.
Top Market Trends
The top surface disinfectant Market trends include:
1. Increasing demand for ready-to-use surface disinfectants: Ready-to-use surface disinfectants are easy to use and require no mixing or diluting, which makes them ideal for busy healthcare facilities. They are also more effective than traditional cleaning methods and provide a better barrier against infection.
2. Rising preference for broad-spectrum surface disinfectants: Broad-spectrum surface disinfectants are effective against a wide range of pathogens, including bacteria, viruses, and fungi. This makes them ideal for use in healthcare settings where multiple pathogens may be present.
3. Growing popularity of alcohol-based surface disinfectants: Alcohol-based surface disinfectants are fast-acting and have a broad spectrum of activity. They are also less likely to cause resistance than other types of surface disinfectants.
4. Shift from traditional cleaning methods to electrostatic spraying: Electrostatic spraying is a new technology that uses an electrical charge to attract and bind cleaning solutions to surfaces. This technology is becoming increasingly popular in healthcare settings as it provides more complete coverage and eliminates the need for manual cleaning.
4. The move towards natural and organic products: In recent years, there has been a shift away from traditional cleaning products towards natural and organic alternatives. This trend is being driven by consumer awareness of the health and environmental risks associated with synthetic chemicals. As a result, manufacturers are reformulating their products to meet this demand.
5. The rise of multi-purpose cleaners: Consumers are increasingly looking for products that can do more than one thing. For instance, they want surface disinfectants that can also be used as general-purpose cleaners or bathroom cleaners. This trend is being driven by the need for convenience and value for money.
6. The emergence of new technologies: New technologies are emerging that offer more effective ways to clean surfaces. For example, ultraviolet (UV) light is being used increasingly to kill bacteria and viruses. This technology is becoming more affordable and accessible, making it a viable option for consumers.
The market is segmented based on Compositions, Types, Applications, End Users, and Region. Based on the Compositions, the market is segmented into Alcohols, Chlorine Compounds, Quaternary Ammonium Compounds, Hydrogen Peroxide, Peracetic Acid, and Other Compositions. Based on Types, the market is further divided into Liquids, Wipes, Alcohol-based Wipes, Quaternary Ammonium Compound-based Wipes, Sprays, and Other Types. In addition, On the basis of Applications, the market is further divided into Surface Disinfection, Instrument Disinfection, and Other Applications. Additionally, based on the End-Users, the market is segmented into Hospital Settings, Diagnostic Laboratories, and Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Companies. Likewise, based on the Region, the Global surface disinfectant Market is further divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Compositions
There are numerous types of surface disinfectants available on the market, but the alcohols segment has a substantial market share. Ethanol and isopropyl alcohol are the most common alcohols used for surface disinfection. Due to their widespread availability and inexpensive prices, these alcohols are anticipated to maintain their dominance during the projected period. The alcohols section of the surface disinfectant market is comprised of products containing ethanol and isopropyl alcohol as active components. These products are efficient against numerous pathogens, such as bacteria, viruses, and fungi. In healthcare settings, alcohol-based surface disinfectants are frequently employed because they are fast-acting and have a minimal risk of generating resistance. Due to its low cost and excellent effectiveness, isopropyl alcohol is the type of alcohol most commonly employed in surface disinfectants. Also popular are ethanol-based goods, which are less flammable than isopropyl alcohol-based ones. However, ethanol-based surface disinfectants can irritate the skin and are not as efficient against spores and other types of microorganisms.
Based on Types
Due to their effectiveness and ease of use, liquids have always been favored for surface disinfection. In recent years, the rise in popularity of wipes and gels has caused a shift in the industry, with these two categories experiencing the most expansion. However, liquids continue to dominate the market for surface disinfectants, accounting for over 60% of sales. There are numerous explanations for this dominance's continued existence. First, liquids are typically less expensive than other surface disinfectants. This is particularly true for wipes, which frequently contain additional chemicals that raise their price. Second, liquids are more user-friendly than other types of disinfectants since they may be sprayed on surfaces and then wiped away. Therefore, they are great for rapid cleanings. Finally, it has been demonstrated that liquids are particularly effective at killing germs and bacteria. Despite the dominance of liquids, it is important to note that wipes and gels have also shown significant growth over the past few years. This is due to the convenience and effectiveness of these two product categories. Wipes are popular among parents and caregivers because they provide a quick and simple solution to clean surfaces without the need for mixing or measuring. Gels are also gaining popularity due to their long-lasting efficiency; many formulations offer protection against dangerous microorganisms for up to 24 hours.
Based on Applications
The surface disinfectant The market is split by application, with the instruments disinfection segment dominating. The increasing number of patients with hospital-acquired diseases and the lack of hygiene awareness are the primary factors driving the expansion of this market. Government attempts to prevent the spread of nosocomial illnesses also contribute to market expansion. Additionally, surfaces in healthcare facilities are continuously polluted with infectious bacteria. Consequently, stringent steps are required to guarantee that these surfaces are well-cleansed. By eliminating dangerous bacteria on surfaces, surface disinfectants serve a crucial role in avoiding the spread of illnesses.
Based on End Users
Hospital settings have always been the major contributor to the surface disinfectant Market and this trend is expected to continue in the coming years. This is due to the rising number of hospital-acquired infections (HAIs) which has led to an increased demand for surface disinfectants in hospitals. The most popular surface disinfectants used in hospitals are quaternary ammonium compounds, alcohols, chlorhexidine gluconate, and hydrogen peroxide. These disinfectants are effective against a wide range of microorganisms including bacteria, viruses, and fungi. In order to reduce the risk of HAIs, hospitals have been increasingly using automated systems such as robotics and ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVGI) for surface disinfection. robots are being increasingly used for cleaning high-touch surfaces in hospitals as they can cover a larger area in a shorter time frame. UVGI systems are also being used for inaccessible or hard-to-reach areas.
Based on Region
The North American market for surface disinfectants will remain the largest during the forecast period. The region's supremacy can be linked to the abundance of healthcare services and the heightened consumer awareness of hygiene and infection control. In addition, the region has a well-established surface disinfectant distribution network. Due to the substantial demand from the healthcare and food & beverage industries, the United States dominates the North American surface disinfectant market. Canada is a significant market for surface disinfectants in North America due to increasing consumer awareness of hygiene and infection prevention. Additionally, the Canadian government has supported projects to increase hygiene in public spaces such as hospitals, schools, and daycares. This has contributed to the nation's increased demand for surface disinfectants.
The key players in the Global surface disinfectant Market include- PDI Inc. (US), GOJO Industries Inc. (US), W.M. Barr & Co. Inc. (US), Spartan Chemical Company Inc. (US), W.W. Grainger Inc. (US), CareNow Medical Pvt. Ltd., Reckitt Benckiser Group PLC (UK), PaxChem Ltd. (India), BODE Chemie GmbH (Germany), Star Brands Ltd. (UK), The 3M Company (US), Ecolab (US), Procter & Gamble (US), The Clorox Company (US), Whiteley Corp. (Australia), Lonza Group AG (Switzerland), SC Johnson Professional (US), BASF SE (Germany), Evonik Industries AG (Germany), Kimberley-Clark Corp. (US), Medline Industries Inc. (US) and others.
Recent Market Developments
● Pal TX surface disinfectant Wipes, a new product line from Pal International, was announced in May 2020. To comply with the most recent rules for Maximum Residual Levels (MRLs) for surface disinfectants in the food industry, these new wipes were created. The company's revenue and market interest have both increased thanks to the introduction of this cutting-edge product.
● Significant steps toward meeting the exponential growth in demand for PURELL® sanitizer, soap, wipes, and surface spray will be taken by GOJO in 2020, including the opening of new manufacturing operations in Maple Heights and Navarre, Ohio.
● Metrex Research, LLC released its new CaviWipe 2.0 surface disinfectant wipes in June 2021. These wipes are effective against 42 different types of bacteria and viruses, including SARS-CoV-2. For quick, hassle-free disinfection and cleaning of hard, nonporous surfaces in medical facilities, consumers can try the multi-purpose surface disinfectant wipes with a two-minute contact time. The introduction of this new product has allowed Metrex Research, LLC to expand its offerings for use in healthcare.
● A new antibacterial household sanitizer called Microban 24 was introduced by Proctor & Gamble in February 2021. Microban 24 comes as a sanitizing spray, a bathroom cleaner, and a multi-purpose cleaner. Products are available worldwide via the Internet and at major retail outlets. Proctor & Gamble's product line will be strengthened by the new product launch strategy.
Segmentation of the Global surface disinfectant Market
- Compositions (Alcohols, Chlorine Compounds, Quaternary Ammonium Compounds, Hydrogen Peroxide, Peracetic Acid, Other Compositions)
- Types (Liquids, Wipes, Alcohol-based wipes, Quaternary Ammonium Compound-based Wipes, Sprays, Other Types)
- Applications (Surface Disinfection, Instrument Disinfection, Other Application)
- End Users (Hospital Settings, Diagnostic Laboratories, Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Companies)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- PDI Inc. (US)
- GOJO Industries Inc. (US)
- W.M. Barr & Co. Inc. (US)
- Spartan Chemical Company Inc. (US)
- W.W. Grainger Inc. (US)
- CareNow Medical Pvt. Ltd.
- Reckitt Benckiser Group PLC (UK)
- PaxChem Ltd. (India)
- BODE Chemie GmbH (Germany)
- Star Brands Ltd. (UK)
- The 3M Company (US)
- Ecolab (US)
- Procter & Gamble (US)
- The Clorox Company (US)
- Whiteley Corp. (Australia)
- Lonza Group AG (Switzerland)
- SC Johnson Professional (US)
- BASF SE (Germany)
- Evonik Industries AG (Germany)
- Kimberley-Clark Corp. (US)
- Medline Industries Inc. (US)
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options