The global PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) in Agro-Food Market is valued at USD 0.8 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 1.7 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 11.7% between 2023 and 2030.
Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) technology is revolutionizing the agro-food industry, offering precise and reliable analysis for quality control. Real-time PCR methods stemming from nucleic acid detection are gaining popularity due to their high reproducibility, precision, and rapid results. This technique enables the identification of genetic markers for various applications in the food industry. In GMO analysis, Real-Time PCR allows for detecting genetically modified organisms, ensuring transparency and compliance with labeling regulations. It provides a powerful tool for verifying the authenticity of food products, especially in cases of imitation, adulteration, and cheating. PCR-based methods identify specific meat species, ensure accurate labeling, and address religious and dietary preferences. Allergen analysis using Real-Time PCR enables the detection of allergenic ingredients, safeguarding consumers with allergies. This method offers high sensitivity and automation, making it a preferred choice in allergen testing. Furthermore, in microbial pathogen analysis, Real-Time PCR plays a crucial role in rapidly identifying harmful microorganisms in food products. This technology significantly reduces the time required for research compared to traditional methods, enhancing food safety.
PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) in Agro-Food Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
- Increasing demand for food safety testing, strict regulations on GMO labeling, and growing emphasis on traceability and transparency in the logistics network will bolster market growth.
- Asia Pacific is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period.
- Europe will grow at a high CAGR from 2023-2030
- The consumables and reagents segment accounted for the most considerable market growth in 2022, its essential role in PCR testing.
- Based on Application Types, the Real-Time PCR Systems segment accounted for the potential market growth in 2022 with 50.5% of the market share due to their advanced features and capabilities.
- The Asia Pacific area is expected to dominate global sales with a 41.5% share owing to the increasing usage of automated solutions in the logistics sector.
Top Market Trends
- PCR technology has become more affordable and efficient over time, allowing its widespread adoption in agro-food. The advancement of multiplex PCR has significantly decreased the expenses and time involved in testing different pathogens by enabling the detection of multiple targets simultaneously in a single reaction. This has made it feasible for small and medium-sized food companies to implement PCR testing in their production processes.
- Collaboration between PCR technology developers and agro-food industry players has accelerated the adoption and implementation of PCR in various stages of the food production chain. For example, major agro-food companies are partnering with PCR technology providers to establish in-house testing facilities and develop rapid detection kits for specific pathogens. These collaborations help address the industry's particular needs and enable faster and more accurate testing processes.
- PCR is widely used in agro-food industries to detect and quantify genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in food products. As the demand for GMO-free products grows, the need for accurate and efficient PCR testing methods is also rising. The European Union implemented mandatory GMO labeling regulations, increasing the need for PCR-based GMO testing in the agro-food market.
- Consumers are mainly concerned about the authenticity and traceability of their food products. PCR-based methods can detect adulteration, identify species-specific ingredients, and determine the origin of food products. For Example, in 2013, a horse meat scandal unfolded in Europe, where beef products were found to contain undeclared horse meat. PCR-based DNA testing was crucial in identifying adulterated products and ensuring food authenticity.
- Developing portable PCR systems has facilitated on-site testing and reduced the time required for analysis. This trend is particularly beneficial in remote areas or during transportation, where quick and accurate detection is crucial. For Example, Companies like BioFire Diagnostics and QIAGEN have developed portable PCR systems, such as the FilmArray and the QIAstat-Dx, which can provide rapid and reliable testing results in the field.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
market is poised for substantial growth, driven by increasing consumer demand for transparency and safety in food products. The global market for PCR technology in agro-food is expected to experience a robust CAGR in the coming years. This growth is attributed to the widespread adoption of Real-Time PCR methods in various food analyses. GMO analysis is witnessing a surge in demand as genetically modified crops continue to gain traction in agricultural production. This trend bolsters the need for accurate GMO detection methods, further propelling the PCR market. Moreover, the rising concerns over food allergens and microbial pathogens drive the adoption of Real-Time PCR technology in the agro-food industry. This market expansion is expected to create opportunities for companies specializing in PCR solutions and related services. In conclusion, market is set to experience significant growth, fueled by the increasing emphasis on food safety and quality. Real-time PCR methods are at the forefront of this transformation, offering precise and efficient solutions for various critical food analyses. This market presents a promising landscape for innovation and investment during the forecast period.
The Global Market is segregated into the below-mentioned segments as:
The globel PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) in Agro-Food market can be categorized into Product Type, Application Type, Region. The Market can be categorized into Instruments, Consumables & Reagents, Software & Services based on Product Type. The Market can be categorized into Standard PCR Systems, Real-Time PCR Systems, Digital PCR Systems based on Application Type. The Market can be categorized into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa based on Region.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Product Types
Consumables & Reagents to Lead Maximum Market Share Due to Its Essential Role in PCR Testing
The Consumables & Reagents segment dominated the market in 2022, holding a significant. This can be primarily attributed to the essential role of PCR plastics in the PCR process. These plastics include tubes and plates for sample handling and reagent storage at various reaction stages. Caps are also used to seal these materials when not in use, while heat sealers prevent evaporation, ensuring reliable and expected results. Furthermore, PCR plates, tubes, caps, and plate seals are commonly utilized in PCR.
Based on Application Types
Real-time PCR Systems segment Expects Dominion, Owing to their Advanced Features and Capabilities
The Real-Time PCR Systems segment accounted for approximately 50.5% of the market share in 2022 due to the increasing interest in RT-PCR across various fields of molecular biology. While limited applications of this technique have been reported in food sciences so far, they mainly focus on virus detection and characterization, intron-exon structure analysis, RNA editing assessment, and gene expression analysis. These applications have significantly enhanced our understanding of gene function and expression by offering accurate information on transcript molecules.
Based on Region
Asia Pacific to Dominate Global Sales Owing to Increasing Usage of Automated Solutions in the Logistics Sector
The Asia Pacific area is anticipated to be the most considerable in 2022. PCR is widely used in the agro-food sector for various applications such as pathogen detection, genetically modified organism (GMO) testing, and food quality control. The rising population and growing need for food safety and quality in countries like China, India, and Japan are boosting the market in the Asia Pacific region. Additionally, government regulations and initiatives promoting the use of PCR technology in the agro-food sector are further contributing to the market expansion.
The European market is the most lucrative due to several possible areas for future enlargement. The support of strict government regulations and regular monitoring and auditing of food production facilities by authorities like the FDA further encourages the adoption of PCR technology in this industry.
The Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) in the Agro-Food industry is mainly competitive and fragmented, with many players operating. Some major companies in the market include Agilent Technologies, Biomerieux, Bio-rad Laboratories, and Biotecon Diagnostics. These players focus on product innovation, partnerships, and M&A to gain a competitive edge in the market.
The key players in the global PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) in Agro-Food market include - Agilent Technologies (U.S.), Biomerieux (France), Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc. (U.S.), Biotecon Diagnostics (Germany), Hygiena (U.S.), Minerva Biolabs (Germany), Qiagen NV (Germany), R-Biopharma AG (Germany), Thermo Fisher Scientific (U.S.) among others.
Recent Market Developments
- In April 2022, Mérieux NutriSciences, a global leader in food safety, quality, and sustainability, acquired Hortec Pty Ltd (Hortec) in South Africa and Laboratorios Bromatológicos Araba SA (Aralab) in Spain. With these new acquisitions, Mérieux NutriSciences is furthering its strategic objectives and strengthening its capabilities by entering the South African pesticide market and reinforcing its geographical presence in Spain.
- In May 2022, Bureau Veritas, a provider of laboratory testing, inspection, and certification services, announced the opening of its third US microbiology laboratory based in Reno, Nevada. The facility planned to conduct rapid pathogen testing and microbiology indicator analyses for the agri-food sector.
Segmentation of the Global PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) in Agro-Food Market
- Product Type (Instruments, Consumables & Reagents, Software & Services)
- Application Type (Standard PCR Systems, Real-Time PCR Systems, Digital PCR Systems)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Agilent Technologies (U.S.)
- Biomerieux (France)
- Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc. (U.S.)
- Biotecon Diagnostics (Germany)
- Hygiena (U.S.)
- Minerva Biolabs (Germany)
- Qiagen NV (Germany)
- R-Biopharma AG (Germany)
- Thermo Fisher Scientific (U.S.)
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options