The global Natural and Manufactured Sand Market was valued at USD 142.7 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 326.49 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR of 10.9% between 2023 and 2030.
The global natural and manufactured sand market has witnessed significant growth in recent years. Sand is one of the most important components used in the construction industry for making concrete, mortar, and asphalt. The increasing demand for infrastructure development and the growth of the construction industry worldwide are driving the demand for natural and manufactured sand.
One of the major challenges faced by the natural and manufactured sand market is the shortage of river sand, which is one of the most commonly used natural sand. The indiscriminate sand mining has led to a decline in the availability of river sand, and the government is taking measures to curb illegal sand mining. This has led to an increase in demand for manufactured sand, which is produced by crushing rocks and quarry stones.
Natural and Manufactured Sand Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
The Asia-Pacific region is the largest consumer of natural and manufactured sand, accounting for more than half of the global market share. This growth is driven by the rapid industrialisation and urbanization in countries such as China, India, and Indonesia, which are major contributors to the construction industry.
Furthermore, the increasing government initiatives to promote sustainable construction practices and the rising demand for eco-friendly construction materials are expected to drive the demand for natural and manufactured sand in the coming years.
However, factors such as the high transportation costs, environmental concerns related to sand mining, and the availability of alternatives such as crushed stones and gravel can pose a challenge to the growth of the market.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Competitive benchmarking
- Historical data & forecasts
- Company revenue shares
- Regional opportunities
- Latest trends & dynamics
- Power BI Report (Dashboard)
The global Natural and Manufactured Sand market can be categorized on the following: Type, Application, and Region. Based on Type, the market can be categorized into Natural Sand and Manufactured Sand. Furthermore, based on Application, the market can be segmented into Residential Construction, Commercial Construction, Infrastructure, and Others. Likewise, based on Region, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
- Natural Sand: This segment includes sand that is naturally occurring, such as river sand, lake sand, and sea sand. Natural sand is typically preferred for construction activities owing to its durability and strength.
- Manufactured Sand: This segment includes sand that is produced by crushing rocks, quarry stones, or other construction waste. Manufactured sand is gaining popularity owing to its environmental benefits, such as the reduction in the amount of natural sand mining.
- Residential Construction: This segment includes sand used for the construction of residential buildings, apartments, and houses.
- Commercial Construction: This segment includes sand used for the construction of commercial buildings, such as offices, malls, and hotels.
- Infrastructure: This segment includes sand used for the construction of infrastructure projects, such as roads, bridges, and airports.
- Others: This segment includes sand used in landscaping, golf courses, and other niche applications.
The global natural and manufactured sand market can be analyzed across North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and the Rest of the World (RoW). Asia-Pacific is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period owing to the rapid urbanization and increasing construction activities in the region. The increasing demand for affordable housing and the development of smart cities in countries such as China and India are also expected to boost the growth of the market in the region.
North America and Europe are also expected to witness significant growth owing to the increasing demand for sustainable construction materials and the growth of the construction industry in the region. The development of smart cities and infrastructure projects in countries such as the US, Canada, and the UK are also expected to create lucrative opportunities for market players.
The Rest of the World (RoW) is also expected to witness significant growth owing to the increasing demand for infrastructure development and the growth of the construction industry in the region. The development of mega-projects and the growth of the real estate industry in countries such as the UAE, Saudi Arabia, and South Africa are also expected to create lucrative opportunities for market players.
In 2019, CDE, a global leader in the construction and recycling industries, introduced a new Combo X900 washing system, which can produce both natural and manufactured sand. The system uses water, which reduces the need for chemicals, and can efficiently recycle up to 90% of the water used in the process.
In 2019, Hi-Crush Inc., a leading supplier of proppant and industrial sand products, announced the completion of its acquisition of the Canadian sand mining company, Pronghorn Energy. The acquisition allowed Hi-Crush to expand its operations into Canada's frac sand market and diversify its customer base.
In the same year, CEMEX, one of the world's largest producers of building materials, announced the launch of a new low-carbon concrete product that uses recycled materials and sand from its own quarries. The new product aims to reduce carbon emissions and promote sustainable construction practices.
In 2019, Superior Industries, a US-based manufacturer of bulk material processing and handling equipment, announced the acquisition of a Brazilian-based manufacturer of crushing and screening equipment, MFE. The acquisition allows Superior Industries to expand its product offerings in the natural and manufactured sand market and strengthen its presence in the South American market.
- CDE: CDE is a leading manufacturer of wet processing equipment for the sand and aggregates, mining, industrial sands, and environmental sectors. The company offers a range of innovative solutions for the production of high-quality manufactured sand and is focused on developing eco-friendly solutions to reduce the impact of sand mining on the environment.
- Vulcan Materials Company: Vulcan Materials Company is one of the largest producers of construction aggregates in the United States. The company produces and sells sand, gravel, and crushed stone for use in construction projects.
- LafargeHolcim: LafargeHolcim is a leading producer of cement, aggregates, and ready-mix concrete worldwide. The company produces and sells a range of construction materials, including natural and manufactured sand, for use in construction projects.
- Martin Marietta: Martin Marietta is a leading producer of aggregates, including sand, gravel, and crushed stone, in the United States. The company offers a range of products for use in construction projects, including concrete, asphalt, and road base materials.
- CRH plc
- Fairmount Santrol
- U.S. Silica Holdings
- Preferred Sands
- Hi-Crush Partners
- Pattison Sand Company
- Pioneer Natural Resources
Segmentation of the Global Natural and Manufactured Sand Market
- Type (Natural Sand, Manufactured Sand)
- Applications (Residential Construction, Commercial Construction, Infrastructure, Others)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
U.S. Silica Holdings
Pattison Sand Company
Pioneer Natural Resources
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options