Global Hydrogen Sulfide Market is valued at USD 222.31 Million in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 290.50 Million by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 3.40% over the forecast period.
Since the early 2000s, the Hydrogen Sulfide Market has seen significant growth. In the next few years, the Global Hydrogen Sulfide Market is expected to grow a lot. At the end of 2022, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is expected to release new regulations that will limit the amount of Hydrogen Sulfide that can be emitted from natural gas wells. This will have a positive impact on the growth of the Hydrogen Sulfide Market as it will create a need for more efficient and cleaner technologies to remove Hydrogen Sulfide from natural gas. This is because it is being used more and more in industries like oil and gas, chemicals, pulp and paper, and food and beverages. Moreover, it is also used as a fumigant in the food & beverage industry. More than 80% of all H2S is used in the oil and gas industry, which is the biggest user. Hydrogen Sulfide is mostly used in the oil and gas industry, which uses more than 60% of all of it. Hydrogen Sulfide is used in enhanced oil recovery (EOR) processes, as well as in the production of sulfuric acid, which is used in the refining of crude oil. In recent years, there has been a shift in the production of Hydrogen Sulfide from coal gasification to natural gas reforming due to the stringent environmental regulations regarding emissions. India released its National Clean Air Programme in January 2019, which includes targets for reducing particulate matter concentrations by 20-30% by 2024.
Hydrogen Sulfide Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Million)
Moreover, rising investments in infrastructure development for natural gas transportation are projected to further augment the demand for Hydrogen Sulfide over the next few years. The infrastructure industry is expected to grow from $8 trillion in 2020 to $15 trillion by 2030. This growth is being driven by an increase in urbanization and the need for newer and more efficient infrastructure. One of the most important aspects of infrastructure is the transportation sector. To meet the growing demand for transportation, there must be a corresponding growth in the construction of roads, railways, and airports. According to data collected by McKinsey & Company, global spending on transportation infrastructure is expected to increase from $9 trillion in 2020 to $12 trillion by 2030. The Hydrogen Sulfide Market has seen some recent changes by key players. One such change is the increase in production by BASF, which is the world’s largest producer of chemicals. The company has announced plans to increase production by 30 percent to meet rising demand. Another key player in the Hydrogen Sulfide Market is Dow Chemical. The company has also announced plans to increase production, by 20 percent, to meet rising demand. In China, the government has announced plans to phase out coal-fired power plants in favor of natural gas-fired plants by 2030. This policy shift is expected to lead to significant reductions in H2S emissions, as well as other air pollutants such as sulfur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx). The Asia-Pacific region is the largest market for Hydrogen Sulfide, accounting for nearly 40% of the global demand. The region is also expected to be the fastest-growing market during the forecast period. The high cost of Hydrogen Sulfide removal and strict environmental regulations are the key market restraints for the growth of the Hydrogen Sulfide Market. The high cost of Hydrogen Sulfide removal is due to the need for expensive equipment and chemicals. In addition, strict environmental regulations in developed countries have limited the use of Hydrogen Sulfide.
Impact on Hydrogen Sulfide Scavengers Market Growth
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
The impact of Hydrogen Sulfide on the scavenger market is significant. Hydrogen Sulfide scavengers are used in industries where Hydrogen Sulfide is produced, such as petroleum refineries and chemical plants. Hydrogen Sulfide scavengers are also used in sewage treatment plants and in buildings where there is a risk of exposure to high levels of Hydrogen Sulfide, such as in hospitals and nursing homes. The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has set a maximum contaminant level (MCL) for Hydrogen Sulfide in drinking water at 0.0005 parts per million (ppm). This level is based on the potential for health effects from long-term exposure to low concentrations of Hydrogen Sulfide. The use of Hydrogen Sulfide scavengers can help to reduce the concentration of this gas in both indoor and outdoor air. Scavengers are materials that react with and remove other materials from a given environment. The most common type of Hydrogen Sulfide scavenger is activated charcoal, which can remove up to 90% of the gas from the air.
Top Market Trends
- The Oil & Gas industry is the major end-use sector for Hydrogen Sulfide. The growth of this sector is driven by the rising demand for energy, which in turn, is fuelling the demand for oil & gas. Hydrogen Sulfide is used as a feedstock in various processes in the oil & gas industry such as Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR), natural gas sweetening, and oil refining. The increasing exploration and production activities in unconventional resources such as shale gas and tight oil are also fuelling the demand for H₂S in the oil & gas industry.
- The rising popularity of shale gas exploration and production is one of the major factors driving the growth of the Hydrogen Sulfide Market. Shale gas contains high concentrations of Hydrogen Sulfide, which needs to be removed before it can be transported through pipelines. As a result, demand for Hydrogen Sulfide is expected to increase in the coming years.
- The third trend is the development of new technologies for producing H2S gas. This is because of the need for efficient and cost-effective methods to produce this gas.
- Lastly, the fourth trend is the increasing demand for H2S gas in various applications. This is because of its wide range of uses in different industries like oil & gas, chemical, pharmaceuticals, food & beverage, and others. The most notable is the increase in demand for this gas, due to its many industrial applications. As a result, the price of Hydrogen Sulfide has been rising steadily over the past few years.
The Global Hydrogen Sulfide Market is segmented based on Grade, Application, End-Use Industry, and Region. Based on Grade, the market is classified into Technical Grade and Purified Grade. Furthermore, based on Application, the Hydrogen Sulfide Market is bifurcated into Pesticides, Dyes, Leather, Disinfectants, Sulfuric Acid Production, and Other Applications. Moreover, based on the End-Use Industry, the market is divided into Medical & Pharmaceuticals, Chemicals, Oil & Gas, Metal & Metallurgy, Plastics, Agriculture, and Other Industries. Region-wise, the Global Hydrogen Sulfide Market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Grade
The technical grade segment is expected to grow at the highest CAGR during the forecast period. The demand for technical-grade Hydrogen Sulfide is expected to increase in the oil and gas industry due to its applications in enhanced oil recovery and drilling operations. The purified grade segment is also expected to grow during the forecast period, owing to the growing demand for Hydrogen Sulfide from the chemical industry. The chemical industry uses Hydrogen Sulfide as a reagent in various processes such as the synthesis of elemental sulfur, the production of fertilizers, and the manufacturing of dyes and pigments.
Based on Application
Hydrogen Sulfide is used as a fumigant in pesticides. Hydrogen Sulfide is effective in controlling these pests as it interferes with their respiratory process. Hydrogen Sulfide is used as a precursor in the production of sulfur dyes. Sulfur dyes are widely used in the textile industry owing to their superior color fastness properties. Hydrogen Sulfide is used in the leather industry for the hair removal process. Hydrogen Sulfide is used as a disinfectant owing to its antimicrobial properties. It is effective against various bacteria, viruses, and fungi. Hydrogen Sulfide is also used in water treatment plants for disinfecting water.
Based on End-Use Industry
Medical & Pharmaceuticals are the largest end-use industry for Hydrogen Sulfide. Hydrogen Sulfide is used in the medical industry as a reagent in the synthesis of pharmaceuticals and as an antiseptic. The chemical industry is the second-largest end-use industry for Hydrogen Sulfide. Hydrogen Sulfide is used in the production of chemicals such as sulfuric acid, nitric acid, and ammonia. Oil and gas is the third-largest end-use industry for Hydrogen Sulfide, accounting for 25.0% of the total demand in 2022. The demand from this sector is driven by the use of Hydrogen Sulfide in oil and gas production and other related applications. Metal & metallurgy is the fourth-largest end-use industry for Hydrogen Sulfide, accounting for 5.3% of the total demand in 2022. The demand from this sector is driven by the use of Hydrogen Sulfide in metal & metallurgy production and other related applications. The demand for Hydrogen Sulfide in the plastic industry is expected to grow at a CAGR of around 5% from 2022 to 2025. Hydrogen Sulfide is used in the production of plastics such as polyethylene and polypropylene. The demand in the agriculture industry is expected to grow at a CAGR of 4.8% from 2022 to 2025. Hydrogen Sulfide is used as a fumigant in the storage and transport of grains, pulses, and spices. It is also used as an insecticide and fungicide in the agriculture industry. Other industries that consume Hydrogen Sulfide include mining, power generation industries, etc.
Based on Region
North America is expected to be the leading regional market on account of the presence of major players in the region and stringent environmental regulations regarding emissions. The U.S. is the largest market in North America on account of the growing oil & gas industry and increasing applications of Hydrogen Sulfide in various industries such as food & beverages and pharmaceuticals. Europe is expected to be the second-largest regional market owing to high demand from the oil & gas industry and favorable government regulations regarding emissions. Asia Pacific is expected to be the fastest-growing market for Hydrogen Sulfide due to the increasing demand from the oil and gas industry in the region. In addition, the growing population and economic development in the region are expected to boost the demand for Hydrogen Sulfide. Latin America is expected to witness significant growth in the demand for Hydrogen Sulfide due to the increasing exploration and production activities in the region. The Middle East & African Hydrogen Sulfide Market is expected to be led by Saudi Arabia, UAE, and Kuwait. The Saudi Arabian market is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 7.0% from 2022 to 2025, owing to the increasing investment in the oil & gas sector and the growing demand for sulfuric acid in the country.
The key players in the Global Hydrogen Sulfide Market include- Air Liquide (France), The Linde Group (Germany), Praxair (US), Air Products & Chemicals Inc. (US), Evonik Industries (Germany), Sobegi LACQ (France), Messer Group (Germany), Matheson Tri-Gas (US), Dow Chemical Company (US), Chengdu Taiyu Industrial Gases Co. Ltd. (China) and others.
- In 2020, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) finalized a rule that requires oil and gas facilities to continuously monitor and publicly report their Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) emissions. The EPA estimated that this rule will reduce H2S emissions by 500,000 tons per year.
- In 2021, the Canadian government announced a plan to invest $1.5 billion over the next five years to support the development of low-carbon energy technologies, including Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) capture and storage.
- In 2022, ExxonMobil announced plans to invest $3 billion over the next five years in projects to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, including a new H2S removal technology for natural gas processing.
- In 2023, Royal Dutch Shell announced plans to build a large-scale H2S removal facility in Qatar as part of its strategy to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050.
- One of the most significant advancements in the Hydrogen Sulfide Market in recent years has been the development of new production methods. In particular, the use of natural gas as a feedstock for Hydrogen Sulfide production has become increasingly popular.
Segmentation of the Global Hydrogen Sulfide Market
- Grade (Technical Grade, Purified Grade)
- Applications (Pesticides, Dyes, Leather, Disinfectant, Sulfuric Acid Production, Other Applications)
- End-Use Industry (Medical & Pharmaceuticals, Chemicals, Oil & Gas, Metal & Metallurgy, Plastics, Agriculture, Other Industries)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Air Liquide (France)
- The Linde Group (Germany)
- Praxair (US)
- Air Products & Chemicals Inc. (US)
- Evonik Industries (Germany)
- Sobegi LACQ (France)
- Messer Group (Germany)
- Matheson Tri-Gas (US)
- Dow Chemical Company (US)
- Chengdu Taiyu Industrial Gases Co. Ltd. (China)
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options