The global Generic Sterile Injectable Ecosystem Market is valued at USD 90.45 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 227.8 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 12.2% between 2023 and 2030.
The market is driven by the demand for cost-effective and high-quality medicines, the increasing incidence of chronic diseases, and the rise in the geriatric population. The World Health Organization (WHO) reports that in 2017, non-communicable chronic diseases were responsible for more than 38 million deaths annually. These conditions include cancer, cardiovascular disorders, arthritis, diabetes, asthma, and viral illnesses, including hepatitis C and HIV/AIDS. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2017, over half of the US population, or around 47%, had at least one major risk factor for cardiovascular disease. These risk factors primarily included excessive blood pressure, smoking, and uncontrolled low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol. The global generic sterile injectable market will inevitably rise due to the high prevalence rates of certain disorders.
Generic Sterile Injectable Ecosystem Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
The COVID-19 pandemic, with disruptions in supply chain and manufacturing operations, has impacted the global generic sterile injectable market. The increase in demand for critical care medicines has led to a surge in demand for sterile injectables. 2020, for instance. From July 13 to July 20, 2020, the pharmaceutical company Hetero Healthcare Ltd. delivered 60,000 vials of Covifor, the generic version of Remdesivir injection, to India. The first generic version of Remdesivir, known as Covifor, is intended for treating adult and children COVID-19 patients admitted to the hospital with severe disease symptoms. The medication comes in 100 mg injectable vials.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
- By Drug Type, the high demand for the Cytokines segment will increase in the Generic Sterile Injectable Ecosystem Market over the forecast period 2023 to 2030
- By Therapeutic Applications, the Oncology segment dominated the largest market share globally during the forecast period 2023 to 2030
- By Distribution Channel, the Hospitals segment holds the largest share across the globe in the forecast period 2023 to 2030
- In 2022, North America dominated the market with the highest revenue share of 28%
- The Asia Pacific will grow at a high CAGR from 2023-2030
In addition, the market is also expected to be driven by the rising focus on research and development activities by generic drug manufacturers. This will lead to the introduction of innovative formulations, improved quality, and increased efficiency and safety of injectable drugs. A generic version of the antiviral medication Foscavir (foscarnet sodium injection), which is used to treat cytomegalovirus infections, was announced by the British multinational pharmaceutical company Hikma Pharmaceuticals in December 2020.
Due to the expansion of the facility used for manufacturing generic pharmaceuticals, the COVID-19 pandemic is expected to fuel the growth of the global market for generic sterile injectables. For instance, in 2022, Phlow Corp., a pharmaceutical company with Civica Rx, a manufacturer of generic sterile injectables, worked together to establish a US$ 124.5 million manufacturing facility (120,000 square foot plant) specifically for generic sterile injectables. The global market for generic sterile injectables is anticipated to grow over the forecast period as market players emphasize inorganic activities like acquisitions. For instance, Baxter International Inc. anticipates that by focusing on cost optimization and portfolio management from 2016 to 2020, revenues will rise by about 4% on a compounded annual basis at constant currency rates. 2020 the company is expected to produce a free cash flow of approximately US$1.75 billion.
Top Market Trends
- Technological Advancements in Manufacturing Techniques: Technological advancements in manufacturing techniques have revolutionized the generic sterile injectable market in recent years. One such advancement is using single-use systems (SUS) in manufacturing, which has replaced traditional stainless-steel equipment. This has resulted in a significant reduction in the risk of contamination and has streamlined the manufacturing process, reducing the time and cost of production. Moreover, the use of closed-system transfer devices (CSTD) has further ensured the safe handling of hazardous drugs and prevented the exposure of healthcare workers to these drugs. Continuous manufacturing, another technological advancement, has enabled the production of sterile injectables continuously, reducing the need for batch processing and allowing for greater efficiency. Adopting these manufacturing techniques has improved the quality and safety of the products and increased the production capacity, meeting the growing demand for generic sterile injectables.
- Increasing Investments in Research and Development: The generic sterile injectable market is witnessing an increase in investments in research and development due to several factors. The rising prevalence of chronic diseases and the growing demand for effective treatment options drive the need for novel drug formulations. Moreover, regulatory agencies worldwide emphasize the importance of quality and safety in injectable formulations, necessitating the development of advanced delivery systems. Additionally, the entry of new players in the market and the expiration of patents for several blockbuster drugs have intensified competition, forcing manufacturers to invest in R&D to remain competitive. Furthermore, the adoption of advanced manufacturing technologies such as automation and robotics is expected to drive the development of novel injectables that are cost-effective and efficient. Overall, increasing investments in R&D in the generic sterile injectable market aims to develop innovative formulations that meet the evolving needs of patients and healthcare providers worldwide while complying with regulatory requirements.
The global Generic Sterile Injectable Ecosystem market can be categorized on the following: Drug Type, Therapeutic Applications, Distribution Channel, and Region. Based on Drug Type, the market can be categorized into Antibiotics, Blood Clotting Factors, Cytokines, Immunoglobulin, Insulin, Monoclonal Antibodies, Peptide Hormones, Vaccines, and Other Drug Types. Furthermore, based on Therapeutic Applications, the market can be further categorized into Oncology, Infectious Diseases, Cardiovascular Diseases, Central Nervous System Disorders, Autoimmune Disorders, and Other Applications. Additionally, based on the Distribution Channel, the market can be split further into Hospitals, Clinics, Ambulatory Surgical Centers, and Other Distribution Channels. Likewise, based on Region, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on the Drug Type
Cytokines to Accommodate Maximum Market Share due to Increasing Demand for Affordable Treatment Options for Chronic Diseases
In 2022, cytokines dominated the market. Cytokines are a category of small, secreted proteins that mediate cellular communication and signaling. They play critical roles in regulating the immune system, including stimulating the production and differentiation of immune cells and promoting inflammation and tissue repair. Cytokines have been identified as potential targets for therapeutics in various diseases, such as cancer, autoimmune disorders, and infectious diseases. The generic sterile injectable market for cytokines includes biosimilars and biologics that mimic the action of endogenous cytokines and novel cytokines with improved pharmacological properties. The demand for cytokine-based therapeutics is increasing due to their ability to selectively modulate the immune response, thereby offering a potential for more precise and effective treatments. However, developing effective cytokine-based therapeutics is challenging due to their complex mechanisms of action, potential for adverse effects, and high-cost implications.
Based on Therapeutic Applications
Oncology to Accommodate Maximum Market Share Due to the Increasing Incidence of Cancer Worldwide and the High Cost of Branded Drugs
In 2022, oncology dominated the market. Generic sterile injectables in the oncology category refer to the generic versions of injectable drugs administered to treat cancer. These generic drugs contain the same active ingredients as their branded counterparts and are manufactured using the same quality standards. They are used in chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and targeted therapy, either alone or in combination with other drugs. The market for generic sterile injectables in oncology has been growing rapidly due to the increasing incidence of cancer worldwide and the high cost of branded drugs. These generic drugs offer an affordable alternative to patients, healthcare providers, and payers without compromising quality or efficacy. Moreover, the market is expected to grow further due to the patent expiration of several branded drugs and the increasing demand for biosimilars.
Based on Distribution Channel
Hospitals to Express Dominion owing to the Rising number of Surgeries and Procedures Performed in Hospitals
The generic sterile injectable market for hospitals refers to the market for generic drugs in the form of sterile injectables used in healthcare settings, particularly in hospitals. Sterile injectables are medications injected directly into the bloodstream or muscles and are used to treat a wide range of diseases and conditions. The market is highly competitive, with many pharmaceutical companies of differing sizes competing to develop and introduce new and better medications. Hospitals typically purchase these medications in bulk from drug manufacturers or distributors to reduce costs and ensure they have adequate supplies to meet patient needs. Overall, the generic sterile injectable market for hospitals plays a crucial role in providing high-quality, affordable healthcare to patients worldwide.
Based on Region
North America to Lead Global Sales Owing to the Availability of Advanced Healthcare Infrastructure and the Rising Prevalence of Chronic Diseases
North America is the largest market for generic sterile injectable drugs due to the availability of advanced healthcare infrastructure and the rising prevalence of chronic diseases. The region has been witnessing significant pharmaceutical industry growth along with the increasing aging population. Older people are more prone to chronic diseases like cancer, diabetes, and heart diseases, which require regular treatment and hospitalization. This has resulted in high demand for sterile injectable drugs, which are more effective in treating these chronic diseases. Moreover, increasing R&D activities and rising healthcare expenditure in North America have contributed to the growth of the generic sterile injectable market. The presence of leading pharmaceutical companies such as Pfizer, Novartis, and Teva has also led to a rise in the production of generic injectables. In addition, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has encouraged and accelerated the approval process for generic injectable drugs, bringing the cost down for patients and increasing their accessibility.
The Asia Pacific market is the most lucrative due to several possible areas for future enlargement. Factors such as a rapidly expanding population, increasing incidence of chronic diseases, and growing demand for quality healthcare services drive the region's demand for generic sterile injectable products. Additionally, the availability of cost-effective manufacturing facilities in countries like India and China, coupled with favorable government initiatives to promote the use of generic drugs, is further fueling market growth in the Asia Pacific region.
The global generic sterile injectable market is highly competitive, with many established players with a significant market share. Major players in the market include Pfizer, Teva, Sandoz, Fresenius Kabi, and Baxter. These companies continuously focus on R&D to develop innovative products and expand their market presence. Strategic partnerships, collaboration, and M&A activities are also prevalent to gain a competitive edge in the market. The market is dynamic with the entry of new players, which threatens existing players. Therefore, companies are increasingly investing in R&D, distribution networks, and launching new products to stay ahead of the competition.
The key players in the global Generic Sterile Injectable Ecosystem market include - Pfizer Inc. (U.S.), Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (Israel), Fresenius Kabi AG (Germany), Novartis International AG (Switzerland), Sandoz Inc. (Switzerland), Hikma Pharmaceuticals PLC (UK), Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd. (India), Baxter International Inc. (U.S.), Mylan N.V. (U.S.) among others.
Recent Market Developments
- February 2022: The launch of vasopressin injectable, which is used for treating frequent urination, increased thirst, and water loss brought on by diabetes, in the U.S. market was announced by Dr Reddy's Laboratories Ltd. It is a generic version of Vasostrict by Par Pharmaceuticals. A company called Par Pharmaceuticals creates both branded and generic injectable medications.
- February 2021: Teva Pharmaceuticals, an Israeli multinational pharmaceutical company, announced the launch of a generic version of Abraxane (paclitaxel protein-bound particles for injectable suspension), a chemotherapy drug used to treat breast cancer and non-small cell lung cancer. This launch is expected to provide a cost-effective treatment option for cancer patients.
Segmentation of the Global Generic Sterile Injectable Ecosystem Market
- Drug Type (Antibiotic, Blood Clotting Factor, Cytokine, Immunoglobulin, Insulin, Monoclonal Antibody, Peptide Hormone, Vaccines, Other Drug Types)
- Therapeutic Application (Oncology, Cardiovascular Disease (CVD), Central Nervous System Disorders, Autoimmune Disorders, Infectious Diseases, Other Therapeutic Applications)
- Distribution Channel (Clinics, Hospitals, Ambulatory Surgical Centers, Other Distribution Channels)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Pfizer Inc. (U.S.)
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (Israel)
- Fresenius Kabi AG (Germany)
- Novartis International AG (Switzerland)
- Sandoz Inc. (Switzerland)
- Hikma Pharmaceuticals PLC (UK)
- Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd. (India)
- Baxter International Inc. (U.S.)
- Mylan N.V. (U.S.)
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options