The global Functional Food Ingredients Market is valued at USD 98.5 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 171.7 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 7.2% between 2023 and 2030.
The nutritional status of a population is an important indicator of a country's overall productivity. It also serves as a barometer of social and economic growth. The modern world is beleaguered by a plethora of lifestyle disorders, which is contributing to an increase in the reported cases of chronic diseases. The need of the hour is thus to build strong and successful dietary patterns that include more foods that have enriched advantages in addition to the macro and micronutrients they include. Thus, Functional Food Ingredients comprise all matrices that provide benefits in addition to the usual nutrients they include. The global disease burden has been found to worsen due to micronutrient malnutrition, particularly in the developing world and among disadvantaged populations; thus, public health initiatives have been strengthened in recent years to prevent many diseases in communities that do not consume a nutrient-dense diet. Functional Food Ingredients have the intrinsic advantage of improving the nutritional profiles of food matrices without causing significant changes in the organoleptic characteristics.
Functional Food Ingredients Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
- Growing health concerns and challenges such as obesity, diabetes, and digestive diseases are important factors driving the growth of the Functional Food Ingredients market.
- The Probiotics segment has the largest market share globally throughout the forecast period 2023 to 2030.
- In 2022, the North American region dominated the market, accounting for 42.5% of total revenue.
- The Asia Pacific region is predicted to grow the fastest in the industry between 2023 and 2030.
Top Market Trends
- In the expanding Functional Food Ingredients market, small and medium-sized firms can identify profitable niches. Because the diverse corporations that dominate the food sector have a small footprint, stakeholders intend to build and grow their operations through product innovation. As a result, small and medium-sized businesses (SMEs) may benefit from high-priced nutraceuticals and other food supplements. As a result, the market for Functional Food Ingredientss is growing.
- Developed countries such as the United States, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, and Japan have all stated that modern clients want personalized nutrition and diet solutions to help them achieve their health and wellness goals. Products and services aimed at improving health and wellness are no longer universal. During the analysis period, these patterns indicate an increase in demand for Functional Food Ingredientss in emerging countries, which bodes well for the market's ability to expand.
- Functional Food Ingredients is growing more popular in emerging economies due to a variety of factors, including changing customer preferences and behavior. People's eating habits across Asia and the Pacific have evolved as disposable incomes have expanded. The market has risen because of the increased desire for and interest in affluent lives.
- Consumers are increasingly looking for microbiome elements like probiotics, prebiotics, essential oils, hydrocolloids, and postbiotics in personalized food and beverage items, owing to rising health awareness about nutritious convenience meals. This aspect has prompted food and beverage makers to seek Functional Food Ingredients additives, fueling market expansion throughout the review period.
- The Functional Food Ingredients market is expected to expand during the forecast period as a result of driving factors such as increased consumption of fortified food due to rising health consciousness among consumers and demand for nutritious convenience food. Healthcare expenditure, the adoption of preventative healthcare, and consumer awareness of the health benefits of Functional Food Ingredients are all driving regional expansion.
- The increased demand for useful probiotic components is propelling the industry forward. Probiotics are live bacteria that can provide health advantages when taken in sufficient quantities. Because of their ability to promote gut health, strengthen the immune system, and prevent or treat chronic diseases, they are classified as Functional Food Ingredients.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
Extensive research, clinical studies, and regulatory permissions are frequently required for developing Functional Food Ingredients. The high expense of research and development can limit the number of companies willing to spend in producing novel ingredients, particularly for smaller businesses. Because of their health benefits, many Functional Food Ingredients are positioned as luxury items. As a result, they may become less inexpensive to budget-conscious consumers, limiting market expansion. Inequality in access to functional food ingredients can stem from economic inequities, with lower-income communities having less access to these healthier food options. A lack of public awareness and comprehension of the benefits of Functional Food Ingredients may hamper demand. Companies must frequently spend on marketing and consumer education efforts, which can be costly.
The Global Functional Food Ingredients Market is categorized into the segments as mentioned below:
The global Functional Food Ingredients market can be categorized into Health Benefits, Application, Type, Region. The Functional Food Ingredients market can be categorized into Gut Health, Cardiovascular Health, Immunity, Nutritive Health, Weight Management, Other Health Benefits based on Health Benefits. The Functional Food Ingredients market can be categorized into Food, Beverages based on Application. The Functional Food Ingredients market can be categorized into Natural, Synthetic based on Type. The Functional Food Ingredients market can be categorized into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East and Africa based on Region.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Type
Probiotics to Lead Market Share Due to Consumer Knowledge Of The Possible Health Advantages Of Probiotics
In 2022, the Probiotics segment is poised to dominate the global market for Functional Food Ingredients. This is due to increased consumer knowledge of the possible health advantages of probiotics. Consumers are still looking for innovative methods to incorporate them into their everyday diets. As a result, there is an increasing demand for probiotic-rich food and beverage products like yogurt, kefir, and probiotic supplements. The growing popularity of these products is driving demand for probiotic components, which is boosting market growth. Furthermore, the growing body of research on probiotics and the discovery of new strains of probiotics with a variety of health benefits, such as lowering the risk of cancer, boosting cognitive function, and alleviating allergy symptoms, are driving demand for functional probiotic components. Furthermore, the growing trend of clean labeling and organic food, customer desire for plant-based products, and the expanding number of e-commerce platforms are driving Functional Food Ingredients market expansion.
Based on Source
Nature to Lead Market Share Due to Growing Use of Plant-Based
In 2022, the nature segment is poised to dominate the global market for Functional Food Ingredients. Plant-based proteins are an important source of protein for vegetarians and vegans. Their excellent nutritive profile, low carbon footprint, and inexpensive cost are promoting their use. Soy, corn, beets, millet, sorghum, sunflower seeds, wheat, groundnuts, grain, and beans are a few of the abundant plant-based sources of amino-corrosive material. The growing shopper preference for normal and plant-based foods has fueled interest in plant-based food amino acids in recent years. Plant sources of phytochemicals include natural goods and vegetables, nuts and seeds, and flavors and spices, among others.
Based on Health Benefits
Cardiovascular Health is Increasing Due to the Benefits of certain compounds.
In 2022, the Cardiovascular health segment will dominate the Functional Food Ingredients market. The market for functional food components for cardiovascular health is likely to expand more in the future years. This is attributable to a rising understanding of the benefits of certain compounds, as well as an increase in demand for preventative healthcare. This is attributable to a variety of causes, including increased awareness of the role of nutrition in cardiovascular health, increased prevalence of cardiovascular diseases, increased demand for preventative healthcare, and increased urbanization and busy lives.
Based on Application
The Food segment is Increasing Due to Health Consciousness among Customers and Healthy Medical Benefits
In 2022, the Food segment will dominate the Functional Food Ingredients market. The global interest in practical ingredients in food and beverages has experienced a shift in perspective as a result of increased health consciousness among customers and healthy medical benefits. The purchasing attitude is extremely certain when it comes to beneficial food sources with added well-being and health benefits. The rising elderly population, rising medical care expenditures, changing way of life, food development, clinical disclosures, and assumptions about their higher costs have all aided general market development and item interest. This is due to vitamins, minerals, fibers, and amino acids, which are frequently employed in the food and beverage industry to improve the nutritional content of food products and give certain health advantages. As consumers become more health-conscious, demand for Functional Food Ingredients will rise, contributing to product demand in the near future. As consumers become more health-conscious, demand for Functional Food Ingredients will rise, contributing to product demand in the near future.
Based on Region
North America to Dominate Global Sales Owing to the popularity and continuous growth of health-oriented diets such as the ketogenic and paleo diets.
In 2022, the North American region emerged as the dominant player in the Functional Food Ingredients market. The popularity and continuous growth of health-oriented diets such as the ketogenic and paleo diets have prompted food producers to adjust their offers to meet these dietary preferences. With more people choosing low-carb, high-protein, and paleo diets, digestive health has emerged as a significant growth sector. Low-cholesterol, high-fiber confections, and bakery items have grown in popularity as people have become more health-conscious. Food products strong in protein and low in carbs are in high demand as more consumers choose a high-protein diet. Food manufacturers realize the increased demand for protein and are responding by creating nutrient- and protein-dense items such as pasta, bakery goods, and others. Commercial food consumption is expanding, which is excellent news for the region's Functional Food Ingredients industry.
The Functional Food Ingredients industry in Asia Pacific is rapidly growing in popularity. The Functional Food Ingredients industry in Asia Pacific is rapidly growing in popularity. Many Asian countries rely on weight control, clinical nutrition, and cardiovascular health products promoted as "Functional Food Ingredients." Several small and medium-sized food manufacturing firms are increasing their investments which is growing sector's growth. Changing client interests and preferences, as well as evolving lifestyles, are driving forces in the regional market. Also due to rising disposable income and the adoption of Western habits. Rapid urbanization, rising wages, a huge consumer base, and a preference for high-priced, vitamin-based goods are all factors aiding the Asia-Pacific Functional Food Ingredients market's expansion.
The global Keyword market is highly competitive, with numerous important competitors working in the industry. Cargill, Incorporated, Archer Daniels Midland Company, BASF SE, DuPont de Nemours IncKerry Group, Koninklijke DSM NV, Ingredion Incorporated, Arla Foods amba, Tate & Lyle PLC, and Foodchem International Corporation are some of the market's key players. These businesses are focusing on research and development in order to create innovative and sustainable products. Furthermore, strategic alliances, mergers, and acquisitions are common in the industry as organizations seek to extend their product offerings and market presence.
The key players in the global Functional Food Ingredients market include - Cargill Inc. (U.S.), BASF SE (Germany), Archer Daniels Midland Company (U.S.), DuPont de Nemours Inc. (U.S.), Arla Foods Amba (Denmark), Kerry Group (Ireland), Koninklijke DSM NV (Netherlands), Ingredion Inc. (U.S.), Tate & Lyle PLC (UK), Foodchem International Corporation (China) among others.
Recent Market Developments
- In April 2022, Bioberica, a life science firm, will debut new ingredients at Vitafoods Europe in Geneva to enter two new health areas: digestive health and skin and beauty. It has also announced a number of new Functional Food Ingredients applications for its Collavant n2 native (undenatured) type II collagen component, which is used to support joint health.
- In October 2022, Teijin Limited established the Teijin Meguro Institute Co., Ltd. to advance the company's research and development of probiotics for use in Functional Food Ingredientss. It will supply Functional Food Ingredients for probiotics.
- In March 2022, Cargill introduced EpiCor, a dry yeast fermentate that has been clinically proven in dietary supplement trials to modify the gut microbiota and give immune system support beneficially.
Segmentation of the Global Functional Food Ingredients Market
By Health Benefits
- Gut Health
- Cardiovascular Health
- Nutritive Health
- Weight Management
- Other Health Benefits
- Infant Foods
- Dairy Products
- Bakery Products
- Other Foods
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Cargill Inc. (U.S.)
- BASF SE (Germany)
- Archer Daniels Midland Company (U.S.)
- DuPont de Nemours Inc. (U.S.)
- Arla Foods Amba (Denmark)
- Kerry Group (Ireland)
- Koninklijke DSM NV (Netherlands)
- Ingredion Inc. (U.S.)
- Tate & Lyle PLC (UK)
- Foodchem International Corporation (China)
|Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
|Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options