As the most widely used organic compound in the world, Ethylene is involved in the production of a vast array of products, including plastics, solvents, adhesives, and detergents. The Ethylene Market is expected to grow significantly in the coming years due to factors such as population growth, rising living standards, and increased demand from emerging economies. With a global population of over 7 billion people and projections for continued growth, there will be an increasing demand for consumer goods made with Ethylene-based materials. As incomes rise and living standards improve, people are increasingly buying products that require more packaging and use more synthetic materials. This trend is especially evident in developing countries where sales of packaged goods are growing rapidly. The Ethylene Market is also being driven by new applications for versatile compounds. For example, Ethylene oxide is used to make polyurethane foam, which is increasingly being used in the construction industry as insulation material. Ethylene dichloride is another important derivative of Ethylene that is used in the production of PVC (polyvinyl chloride), which has a wide range of applications in everything from pipes and cables to packaging film and credit cards. In short, the Ethylene Market is being driven by population growth, rising living standards, expanding applications, and growing demand from emerging economies. These trends are expected to continue in the coming years, making Ethylene an essential part of the global economy.
The automotive industry is a major consumer of Ethylene, accounting for around 28% of global demand in 2022. The trend is expected to continue, with the automotive industry forecast to consume around 30% of Ethylene by 2030. There are several reasons for the increased demand from the automotive industry. Firstly, the global automotive industry is growing. According to data from the International Organization of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers (OICA), global vehicle production reached 80 million units in 2021, up from around 78 million units in 2020. This growth is being driven by strong demand from China, which is now the world’s largest automotive market. Secondly, new technologies are increasing the use of Ethylene in vehicles. For example, Ethylene-based polymers are increasingly being used in cars to reduce weight and improve fuel efficiency. Ethylene is also used to produce light-emitting diodes (LEDs), which are becoming increasingly common in car headlights and taillights. Finally, government regulations are mandating the use of more fuel-efficient vehicles. In many countries, these regulations are increasing demand for smaller and lighter vehicles made with materials like Ethylene that help improve fuel efficiency. All these factors are leading to increased demand for Ethylene from the automotive industry, which is driving market growth.
Ethylene Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
The use of Ethylene in the production of plastics has been growing steadily in recent years, and this trend is expected to continue. The main drivers of this growth are the ever-increasing demand for plastics, as well as the continued development of new and more efficient ways to produce them. Ethylene is a key ingredient in the production of many different types of plastic, including polyEthylene (PE), polypropylene (PP), and high-density polyEthylene (HDPE). It is also used in the production of other synthetic materials such as vinyl chloride (VC) and acrylics. The vast majority of Ethylene produced globally is used in the manufacture of PE. In fact, around 80% of all Ethylene produced is used for this purpose. PE is the most common type of plastic used worldwide, and its usage continues to grow every year. This is largely due to its versatility; PE can be used for a wide range of applications, including packaging, construction, automotive components, and much more. PP is another popular plastic that uses Ethylene as a key raw material. Around 20% of all Ethylene produced is used in the production of PP. PP has many applications, including packaging, food containers, household goods, car parts, and more. HDPE is a third type of plastic that uses Ethylene as a primary raw material.
The need for Ethylene in the manufacture of various chemicals used in numerous industries is expected to drive the Ethylene Market during the forecast period. Ethylene is a versatile raw material and is utilized in the production of several chemicals, such as polyEthylene, vinyl chloride monomer, and Ethylene oxide. These chemicals find applications in varied industries, such as packaging, construction, automotive, and personal care. The growing demand for these industries is likely to propel the growth of the Ethylene Market during the forecast period.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
The Ethylene Market is expected to be restrained by various factors such as feedstock availability and cost, high energy intensity, and strict environmental regulations.
● Feedstock availability and cost: Ethylene is produced from ethane, which is a by-product of natural gas processing. The availability of ethane feedstock is dependent on the production of natural gas. Moreover, the cost of ethane feedstock is directly linked to the price of natural gas. Consequently, any fluctuations in the price of natural gas can have a significant impact on the Ethylene Market. Ethylene is derived from crude oil and natural gas, which are volatile and expensive raw materials. This makes the production of Ethylene an expensive process, thereby restraining market growth to some extent.
● High energy intensity: The production of Ethylene requires a large amount of energy due to the high temperatures and pressures involved in the process. This makes the production of Ethylene relatively energy-intensive when compared to other chemicals. As a result, higher energy costs can act as a restraint for the Ethylene Market.
● Strict environmental regulations: The production of Ethylene results in emissions of greenhouse gases (GHGs), which contribute to climate change. Stringent environmental regulations around the world are in place to limit GHG emissions. The production of Ethylene releases harmful gases into the atmosphere, which has a negative impact on the environment. Stringent environmental regulations in developed countries are expected to hamper the Ethylene Market growth during the forecast period. These regulations impose additional costs on chemical manufacturers, which can ultimately affect the demand for Ethylene in the market.
● Another challenge facing the Ethylene Market is overcapacity. Despite a strong demand for Ethylene-based products, there is already too much capacity in the market, meaning that producers are struggling to make profits. This overcapacity is likely to continue in the short term as new capacity comes onstream from projects that were planned before the downturn in the oil price began a few years ago.
Given these challenges, it is clear that the Ethylene Market faces a number of headwinds in the coming years. However, with continued strong demand for its products globally, there are still opportunities for companies operating in this space to grow their businesses.
Top Market Trends
The Ethylene Market is constantly evolving in response to changing patterns in global demand. Here are some of the top trends that are shaping the market today:
1. Increasing demand from Asia: Asia is the largest consumer of Ethylene, accounting for over 50% of global demand. This trend is expected to continue as the region's economy continues to grow. The Asian market is expected to be the largest driver of growth in the Ethylene Market over the next few years. China is expected to be a particularly important market, as it looks to increase its production of chemicals and other downstream products.
2. Rising prices: Ethylene prices have been on the rise in recent years, due to increased demand and limited production capacity. These trends are expected to continue soon.
3. Capacity expansions: Several new Ethylene plants are currently under construction, which will help meet rising global demand. However, these projects can take several years to come online, so prices are likely to remain high in the meantime.
4. Changing product mix: The types of products made from Ethylene are constantly changing, as manufacturers strive to meet the needs of their customers. For example, newer applications for Ethylene include 3D printing and fuel cells. The Ethylene Market is also being impacted by changing feedstock mix. There is an increasing trend toward using lighter feedstocks such as natural gas liquids (NGLs). This is because NGLs offer several advantages over traditional feedstocks such as crude oil, including lower costs and a smaller environmental footprint.
5. Increased demand for lighter-weight and more fuel-efficient vehicles, which is driving up demand for Ethylene-based plastics.
6. The growing popularity of bioplastics, which are made from renewable resources and offer a more sustainable option than traditional plastics.
7. Fluctuating crude oil prices, can have a major impact on the cost of Ethylene production.
8. New construction projects. A number of new construction projects are underway that will help to meet the growing demand for Ethylene. These include several large-scale cracker plants in Asia and the Middle East, as well as expansions to existing facilities in North America and Europe.
9. M&A activity. There has been a lot of mergers and acquisition activity in the Ethylene industry in recent years, with several major players looking to consolidate their position in the market. This consolidation is likely to continue in the coming years, as companies look to expand their operations and increase their share of the Global Ethylene Market.
The market is segmented based on Source, Feedstock, Application, End-use, Sales Channel, and Region. On the basis of Source, the Ethylene Market is segmented into Coal, Natural Gas, and Hydrocarbon Steam Cracking. On the basis of Feedstock, the market is segmented into Naphtha, Ethane, Propane, Butane, and Others. On the basis of application, the market is segmented into PolyEthylene, Ethylene Oxide, Ethyl Benzene, Ethylene Dichloride, and others. On the basis of End Use, the market is segmented into Building & Construction, Automotive, Textiles, Packaging, Agrochemicals, and Others. On the basis of Sales channels, the market is segmented into Direct Company Sales, Direct Import, and Distributors & Traders.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Source
The natural gas category is anticipated to have a considerably quicker revenue CAGR in the Ethylene Market based on source, during the forecast period. This is due to the rising exploration and production activities of shale gas, which is expected to fuel the growth of this category. The uses of natural gas as a feedstock for producing Ethylene have been constantly gaining traction over the past few years. This is attributable to the upgradation in technologies that have resulted in the cost-effective extraction of Ethylene from natural gas sources. Also, an increase in demand for energy-efficient and environment-friendly products has resulted in a surge in demand for Ethylene sourced from natural gas. Natural gas is cheaper and more readily available than crude oil, which makes it an attractive option for Ethylene producers. Additionally, natural gas produces fewer carbon emissions than other feedstocks, making it a more environmentally friendly choice. As environmental regulations become stricter around the world, this could give natural gas an even larger share of the Ethylene Market in the coming years.
Based on Feedstock
Naphtha held the largest share in terms of revenue in 2021 and is anticipated to maintain its dominance throughout the forecast period. This can be attributed to several factors such as the low availability of substitute feedstock, the relatively lower production cost of Ethylene from naphtha as compared to other feedstocks, and the easy availability of naphtha in the market. The naphtha segment is anticipated to post a considerably quicker revenue CAGR than all other segments during the forecast period. Naphtha-based Ethylene plants have an advantage over their counterparts based on other feedstocks as they require relatively lower capital investment for setting up new units and also run at higher operating efficiencies. Additionally, most of the existing Ethylene plants around the world use naphtha as their primary feedstock, which gives them an added advantage in terms of economies of scale. These factors are expected to drive the demand for naphtha-based Ethylene over the forecast period. As naphtha is one of the lightest and most volatile components of crude oil, it is widely used as a feedstock for Ethylene production. Naphtha-based Ethylene plants have the advantage of being less capital-intensive than other types of plants. Furthermore, naphtha is easily transported and readily available worldwide.
Based on Application
Ethylene oxide is expected to be the fastest-growing market category during the forecast period. The main reasons for this are the increasing demand for Ethylene glycol and ethoxylates, and the expansion of the end-use industries. Ethylene oxide is a valuable starting material for the production of a wide range of intermediates and chemicals, such as Ethylene glycols, ethanolamines, polyEthylene glycols, and glycidyl ethers. It is also used as a fumigant, sterilant, and antineoplastic agent. The growing demand for these applications is expected to drive the market for Ethylene oxide in 2021. Ethylene glycol is used as an antifreeze in automotive applications and as a raw material for the production of polyurethanes. It is also used in the manufacture of unsaturated polyester resins, solvents, and plasticizers. Ethoxylates are used as surfactants, emulsifiers, and wetting agents in various industries such as personal care, textile, detergents, and cleaning products. The demand for Ethylene oxide is expected to increase due to its applications in the production of polyEthylene terephthalate, which is widely used in the packaging industry. The other major applications of Ethylene oxide include ethoxylates, glycols, and surfactants. Ethylene oxide is mainly used as an intermediate to produce Ethylene glycols, glycol ethers, and related solvents. It is also used as a fumigant, sterilant, and in the production of detergents and thiophenes. This is also due to its major applications in the medical industry, which include the sterilization of various medical devices, such as syringes, needles, and tubing. In addition, Ethylene oxide is also used as a medicine intermediate to produce drugs and hormones.
Based on End-Use
In 2021, the packaging category had the greatest revenue share worldwide in the Ethylene Market due to several factors. The packaging category had the greatest revenue share worldwide in the Ethylene Market in 2021 due to an increase in demand for packaged goods because of the pandemic. The Food & Beverage industry was the largest user of Ethylene, followed by the cosmetics and personal care industry. The packaging industry is projected to grow at the highest CAGR from 2023 to 2030. The rising demand for packaged food and beverages, as well as other consumer goods, has driven the growth of the Ethylene Market. The COVID-19 pandemic has led to a significant increase in demand for packaged goods as consumers stockpiled items in case of shortages. This has resulted in an increase in the production of Ethylene-based packaging materials such as flexible packaging, bottles, and cans. As more consumers stay home, they are buying more packaged goods such as groceries and household items. This has led to an increase in demand for packaging materials such as Ethylene. In addition, the rise in e-commerce has also contributed to the growth of the packaging category within the Ethylene Market. With more businesses selling products online, there is a need for packaging materials that can safely and securely ship these products. Ethylene is often used in packaging applications such as films, laminates, and coatings. As a result, the increased demand for online orders is driving up the demand for Ethylene-based packaging materials. The increased demand for Ethylene-based packaging products, such as stretch film, shrink film, and bags & pouches, from the food & beverage and pharmaceutical industries, is expected to drive the growth of the Ethylene Market for packaging applications. The cosmetics & personal care industry is expected to be the second-largest consumer of Ethylene during the forecast period. Ethylene is used in a wide range of cosmetic formulations, such as skin care products, hair care products, makeup, and fragrances. The increasing demand for these products from emerging economies, such as China, India, Brazil, and South Korea, is expected to drive the growth of this market segment during the forecast period.
Based on Sales Channel
Direct company sales is the segment with the highest market share, followed by distributors & traders. The direct company sales segment includes sales to customers by producers/manufacturers of Ethylene. The distributors & traders segment includes sales of Ethylene by intermediaries/middlemen to customers. The direct import segment includes imports of Ethylene into the country by customers. There are several reasons for the higher market share of the direct company sales segment. Firstly, producers/manufacturers usually have their own marketing and distribution channels which allow them to sell directly to customers. Secondly, many customers prefer to buy Ethylene directly from producers/manufacturers as they can get better prices and terms this way. Thirdly, the direct company sales segment includes sales of both spot and long-term contracts, while the other two segments only include spot sales. Finally, the direct company sales segment is generally more efficient than the other two segments, resulting in lower prices for customers.
Based on Region
The Asia-Pacific region is estimated to have the highest share of the Ethylene Market in 2021. This is attributed to the growing demand for chemicals and plastics from various industries in the region. Various countries in the Asia-Pacific region, such as China, India, Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan, are among the leading producers and consumers of Ethylene. In addition to being the largest producer of Ethylene, China is also the largest consumer of this chemical. The demand for Ethylene from various industries such as construction, automotive, packaging, and electrical & electronics is expected to drive the growth of the market in China. India is another major consumer of Ethylene in the region and is expected to grow at a considerable pace during the forecast period. The increasing demand for polyEthylene terephthalate (PET) from the packaging industry is expected to fuel the growth of the Ethylene Market in India.
Some of the key players operating in the Asia-Pacific Ethylene Market include BASF SE (Germany), Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LLC (US), Exxon Mobil Corporation (US), INEOS Group Ltd. (UK), LyondellBasell Industries Holdings BV (Netherlands), Royal Dutch Shell PLC (UK), Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (Saudi Arabia), China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation (China), The Dow Chemical Company (US), Lonza Group Ltd. (Switzerland).
The key players in the Global Ethylene Market include- BASF SE (Germany), Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LLC (US), Exxon Mobil Corporation (US), INEOS Group Ltd. (UK), LyondellBasell Industries Holdings BV (Netherlands), Royal Dutch Shell PLC (UK), Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (Saudi Arabia), China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation (China), The Dow Chemical Company (US), Lonza Group Ltd. (Switzerland) and others.
Some of the key advancements in the market include:
● On November 8th, Exxon Mobil announced that it would be building a chemical manufacturing complex in Huizhou, Guangdong Province, China.
● On October 6th, Dow Chemical Company stated that it would build the first zero-emissions Ethylene and derivatives factory in the world.
● The Ethylene facility in Tianjin was the site of a joint venture between the Saudi Arabian company SABIC and the Chinese company Sinopec Sabic Tianjin Petrochemical Co. Ltd. By completing this work, annual output can be raised to 1.3 million tons.
Segmentation of the Global Ethylene Market
- Natural Gas
- Hydrocarbon Steam Cracking
- Other Feedstocks
- Ethylene Oxide
- Ethyl Benzene
- Ethylene Dichloride
- Other Applications
- Building & Construction
- Other End-Uses
By Sales Channels
- Direct Company Sale
- Direct Import
- Distributors & Traders
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- BASF SE (Germany)
- Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LLC (US)
- Exxon Mobil Corporation (US)
- INEOS Group Ltd. (UK)
- LyondellBasell Industries Holdings BV (Netherlands)
- Royal Dutch Shell PLC (UK)
- Saudi Basic Industries Corporation (Saudi Arabia)
- China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation (China)
- The Dow Chemical Company (US)
- Lonza Group Ltd. (Switzerland)
|Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
|Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options