The global Chelating Agents Market is valued at USD 7.2 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 9.7 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 4.5% between 2023 and 2030.
According to the online ingredient dictionary of The Personal Care Product Council, wINCI, sequestering agents are substances that deactivate metallic ions to prevent their negative effects on the stability or appearance of cosmetic products. Metallic impurities can originate from various places, including the product's basic ingredients, the water system, or very small extractions from metallic tools and storage bins, particularly naturally extracted ones. If not neutralized, these metallic ions will damage cosmetic items by lowering purity, compromising aroma integrity, and causing rancidity/oxidation. Common sequestering agents, etidronic acid and its derivatives, galactaric acid, sodium metasilicate, and phosphate derivatives are some examples of ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) and its derivatives. Tetrasodium EDTA and Disodium EDTA are two prominent chelators in the US personal care sector. Neutrol MGDA, a very stable, environmentally friendly complexing agent for personal care applications, was launched by BASF Care Creations in December 2020. It has an outstanding profile in ecology and toxicity and is easily biodegradable.
Chelating Agents Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
The paper and pulp industry are a significant consumer of Chelating Agents and is anticipated to play a significant role in driving growth in the market for Chelating Agents globally. In the paper and pulp industry, Chelating Agents like EDTA and DTPA are anticipated to be utilized in pulp bleaching sequences with oxygen-based bleaching chemicals. It is projected that Asia Pacific will lead the way in Chelating Agents manufacturing and consumption, especially in nations like China and India. The population growth in these nations has increased the demand for these agents in the paper & pulp industry. They are probably used to increase bleaching chemicals' brightness and durability and effectiveness.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Competitive benchmarking
- Historical data & forecasts
- Company revenue shares
- Regional opportunities
- Latest trends & dynamics
- Power BI Report (Dashboard)
- By the segment Type, the high demand for the Biodegradable segment will increase the Chelating Agents Market over the forecast period 2023 to 2030
- By Application, the pulp & paper segment dominated the largest market share globally during the forecast period 2023 to 2030
- In 2022, the Asia Pacific region dominated the market with the highest revenue share of 43.1%
The global Chelating Agents market is characterized by several competitors, creating a dispersed environment. Key players in the market control between 60 and 65 percent of the overall market share as of 2022. At the regional and domestic levels, many small and medium-sized firms aggressively compete with well-known players, increasing the market's competitiveness. ChelateChem Solutions is a market leader in creating and supplying Chelating Agents for diverse industries. The company strongly focuses on innovation and sustainability and provides many premia Chelating Agents that efficiently bind and remove metal ions from solutions.
The International Paper Company announced capital expenditures of about US$ 751 million in 2020; in 2022, these expenditures are anticipated to rise to about US$ 800 million. The company operates in several locations across the United States, including bag facilities, recycling facilities, pulp, paper, packaging mills, converting and packaging plants, and paper mills. It is projected that Asia Pacific will lead the way in Chelating Agents manufacturing and consumption, especially in nations like China and India. The population growth in these nations has increased the demand for these agents in the paper & pulp industry. They are probably used to increase bleaching chemicals' brightness, durability, and effectiveness. The scale of China's agriculture sector might impact market expansion. Chelating compounds are employed in agriculture to increase plant nutrient uptake and boost crop yields. The advancement of contemporary agricultural methods and rising public awareness of sustainable agriculture may aid in the market's expansion. Throughout the projected period, the market in China is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 6.8%.
Top Market Trends
- Growing Demand for Chelating Agents in Water Treatment Processes: The Chelating Agents market is experiencing significant growth due to the increasing demand for these agents in water treatment processes. Water treatment is crucial in preserving water quality for various applications such as drinking, industrial processes, and agriculture. Chelating Agents are used in water treatment to remove heavy metals and inhibit scale formation and fouling on equipment and pipelines. The growing population, rapid industrialization, and stringent government regulations related to wastewater discharge have led to the increased adoption of water treatment processes, driving the demand for Chelating Agents. The rising awareness about the harmful effects of heavy metals and the need for cleaner and safer water have also contributed to market growth. Furthermore, Chelating Agents offer several advantages such as their ability to improve the efficiency of other water treatment chemicals, reduce the consumption of energy and water, and extend the lifespan of equipment. These factors have further boosted their demand in water treatment processes. In conclusion, the growing demand for Chelating Agents in water treatment processes can be attributed to the increasing focus on water quality preservation, strict environmental regulations, and the need for efficient and sustainable water treatment solutions.
- Rising Adoption of Chelating Agents in the Agriculture Industry to Augment Growth: Chelating Agents are widely used in agriculture to improve nutrient efficiency, enhance plant growth, and increase crop yield. They are used to manage soil fertility and ensure the availability of essential nutrients to plants. The increasing demand for high-quality agricultural produce and the need to reduce environmental pollution has driven the demand for Chelating Agents in the agriculture industry. Chelating Agents help in the chelation (binding) of micronutrients such as iron, zinc, copper, and manganese, making them more available to plants. Farmers increasingly use Chelating Agents to combat nutrient deficiencies, improve soil health, and achieve higher crop yields. As a result, the rising adoption of Chelating Agents in the agriculture industry is expected to augment the growth of the Chelating Agents market.
The global Chelating Agents market can be categorized by Type, Application, and Region. Based on Type, the market can be categorized into Biodegradable and Non-biodegradable. Furthermore, based on the segment Application, the market can be split further into Pulp & Paper, Cleaning, Water Treatment, Agrochemicals, Personal Care, and Other Applications. Additionally, based on Region, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Type
Biodegradable to Accommodate Maximum Market Share Due to Increasing Environmental Concerns and Regulations on The Use of Non-biodegradable And Toxic Chelating Agents
In 2022, Biodegradable Chelating Agents dominated the market. The demand for biodegradable Chelating Agents is expected to grow significantly in the coming years as industries across different sectors increasingly adopt eco-friendly practices. These agents are widely used in various applications such as water treatment, cleaning, agriculture, and personal care products. One of the key drivers for adopting biodegradable Chelating Agents is the growing awareness about the environmental impact of non-biodegradable alternatives. Conventional Chelating Agents, such as ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) and diethylenetriaminepentaacetic acid (DTPA), persist in the environment and can cause harm to aquatic life. In contrast, biodegradable Chelating Agents, such as gluconic acid, citric acid, and amino acids, are designed to break down naturally into harmless substances.
Based on Application
Pulp & Paper to Express Dominion Owing to Its Wide Range of Applications in the Industry
The pulp & paper segment dominated the largest market share and will dominate in the forecast period because of its wide range of applications in the industry. Chelating Agents play a crucial role in various processes in the pulp and paper industry, including removing heavy metals, preventing scale formation, and stabilizing chemicals used in the production process. The global Chelating Agents market is based on the application analysis segmented into Pulp & Paper, Cleaning, Water Treatment, Agrochemicals, Personal Care, and Other Applications. Moreover, the pulp and paper industry constantly seeks ways to improve sustainability and reduce environmental impact. Additionally, the growing demand for paper and paperboard products, particularly in emerging economies, is driving the growth of the pulp and paper industry. This, in turn, fuels the demand for Chelating Agents to support increased production and maintain product quality.
Based on Region
Asia Pacific to Lead Global Sales owing to Increasing Demand for these Chemicals in Various End-Use Industries
The Asia Pacific Chelating Agents Market is getting more significant with maximum market share during the forecast period. This can be attributed to the rapid industrialization and urbanization in countries such as China, India, Japan, and South Korea. These countries have witnessed significant growth in industries such as pharmaceuticals, water treatment, agriculture, and personal care, major Chelating Agents’ major end-users. Additionally, the rising awareness about the benefits of Chelating Agents in agriculture, such as improved nutrient uptake and enhanced crop yield, has further fueled market growth. Large agricultural areas in the Asia Pacific region have created a significant opportunity for the Chelating Agents market.
In 2022, the market in North America was growing rapidly. The region witnessed a robust demand for these agents due to the increasing awareness of their benefits and applications across various industries. Furthermore, the pharmaceutical and healthcare industries also contributed to the growth of the North American Chelating Agents market. These agents are widely used in medicines and drug formulations to enhance their efficacy and reduce adverse effects. The growing healthcare infrastructure and the rising incidence of chronic diseases fueled the demand for Chelating Agents in this sector.
In the highly competitive Chelating Agents Market, key players face fierce competition from top market players like BASF SE, The Dow Chemical Company, and Akzo Nobel N.V. These companies possess strong brand recognition and extensive distribution channel networks, giving them an edge in the market. Market players deploy various expansion strategies, such as strategic partnerships and innovative product launches, to maintain their dominance. For instance, BASF SE introduced the Chelating Agents Trilon M Max Pure, enhancing its product portfolio and solidifying its position as a key player in the market. Focusing on such strategies will help companies maintain their leadership in the industry.
The key players in the global Chelating Agents market include - Akzo Nobel N.V. (Netherlands), BASF SE (Germany), Dow Chemical Company (U.S.), Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. (Japan), Kemira Oyj (Finland), Shandong IRO Chelating Chemical Co. Ltd. (China), NIPPON SHOKUBAI Co. Ltd. (Japan), Nouryon (Netherlands), Ascend Performance Materials (U.S.), Hexion Inc. (U.S.), Ava Chemicals Pvt. Ltd. (India), Tosoh Corporation (Japan), Bozzetto Group (Italy), Zhonglan Industry Co. Ltd. (China) among others.
Recent Market Developments
- June 2021: Oncodesign, a biopharma company focused on precision medicine, announced a strategic partnership with Covalab, a maker of custom antibodies, CheMatech, a supplier of Chelating Agents in Europe, and ABX-CRO, a pharmaceutical firm involved in oncology, to create and market Drive-MRT (Molecular Radiotherapy), which incorporates the entire Theranostics platform.
- January 2021: Chernet (succimer), an oral active heavy metal Chelating Agents used to treat pediatric lead poisoning, has a temporary supply shortfall, according to Recodati Rare Diseases, the capsule's maker.
- January 2021: The Custom Chemical Services company was acquired by LBB Specialties. A variety of specialty chemicals, including emollients, emulsifiers, UV filters, Chelating Agents, thickeners, silicones, vitamins, and surfactants, were provided by CCS to the personal care market. LLB extended its product options by acquiring the product line from CCS.
Segmentation of the Global Chelating Agents Market
- Type (Non-biodergradable, Biodegradable)
- Application (Pulp & Paper, Cleaning, Water Treatment, Agrochemical, Personal Care, Other Applications)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Akzo Nobel N.V. (Netherlands)
- BASF SE (Germany)
- Dow Chemical Company (U.S.)
- Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. (Japan)
- Kemira Oyj (Finland)
- Shandong IRO Chelating Chemical Co. Ltd. (China)
- NIPPON SHOKUBAI Co. Ltd. (Japan)
- Nouryon (Netherlands)
- Ascend Performance Materials (U.S.)
- Hexion Inc. (U.S.)
- Ava Chemicals Pvt. Ltd. (India)
- Tosoh Corporation (Japan)
- Bozzetto Group (Italy)
- Zhonglan Industry Co. Ltd. (China)
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options