The global Bio Lubricants Market is valued at USD 2.1 Billion in 2023 and is projected to reach a value of USD 2.7 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 3.9% between 2023 and 2030.
The Bio Lubricants market refers to a type of lubricant that is derived from biodegradable and renewable resources, instead of petroleum-based sources. Bio Lubricants are gaining popularity as they are eco-friendly, non-toxic, and biodegradable, reducing environmental impact. Bio Lubricants can be used in various applications, including automotive, marine, agriculture, and industrial machinery. The global demand for Bio Lubricants is growing due to various environmental and regulatory factors. The depletion of fossil fuels has increased the demand for renewable and sustainable alternatives, such as bio-based products. Governments worldwide are implementing regulations to limit the use of petroleum-based lubricants due to their harmful impact on the environment.
Bio Lubricants Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
The COVID-19 outbreak has significantly impacted the Bio Lubricants market, as the pandemic has negatively affected the global manufacturing sector. The demand for Bio Lubricants has decreased due to the reduced manufacturing activities and logistical disruptions caused by the virus outbreak. Shutdowns of factories and workplaces have resulted in a decline in demand for machinery and equipment, which has consequently impacted the demand for lubricants, including Bio Lubricants. Despite the reduced demand, the Bio Lubricants market has been sustained by the growing awareness of environmental sustainability and government support for renewable energy sources. Governments worldwide are promoting renewable energy and sustainable development, creating better market opportunities for bio-lubricant manufacturers. Additionally, the rising popularity of electric vehicles and the increasing demand for lithium-ion batteries have created new opportunities for the bio-lubricant market, which can be used in battery production and as lubricants for electric cars.
The increasing demand for environment-friendly lubricants and the growing awareness about the advantages of bio-based products are the primary drivers of the Bio Lubricants market. The stringent government regulations about using petroleum-based lubricants and the rising concerns regarding the depletion of non-renewable resources have also fuelled the demand for Bio Lubricants. The expanding automotive and industrial sectors, coupled with the economy's growth, are expected to provide significant opportunities for the market. The superior properties of Bio Lubricants, including high viscosity index, low-temperature performance, and superior lubricity, also contribute to the market's growth.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Competitive benchmarking
- Historical data & forecasts
- Company revenue shares
- Regional opportunities
- Latest trends & dynamics
- Power BI Report (Dashboard)
The Russia-Ukraine conflict has impacted the Bio Lubricants market, with some companies experiencing supply chain disruptions and market instability. The instability of the conflict has led to a decrease in investments and uncertainty in the market, which has resulted in lower growth rates for some companies. However, some companies have benefitted from the conflict by capitalizing on the demand for more sustainable and eco-friendly alternatives to traditional oil-based lubricants.
Top Market Trends
- Rising Demand for Hydraulic Fluids: Hydraulic fluids are used extensively in various industries, including construction, agriculture, and mining, for powering machinery and vehicles. As such, the demand for hydraulic fluids is expected to rise with the growth of these industries. Bio Lubricants are preferred for use in hydraulic systems due to their superior performance characteristics, which include better thermal stability, increased lubricity, and biodegradability. They are also less toxic and do not harm the environment, making them a more sustainable option than traditional petroleum-based lubricants. Growing awareness about environmental sustainability and stringent government regulations on using conventional oils drive the adoption of Bio Lubricants across various end-use industries. As a result, the global Bio Lubricants market is expected to witness significant growth in the coming years.
- Increased Usage of Vegetable Oils to Augment Growth: Bio Lubricants are gaining traction in the market due to their environmentally friendly nature and efficient performance. They are derived from vegetable oils, animal fats, and synthetic esters and offer improved lubrication efficiency, higher resistance to oxidation, and biodegradability compared to conventional lubricants. The increased usage of vegetable oils, a significant source of bio-lubricant feedstock, is expected to drive market growth. Vegetable oils, such as canola, sunflower, soybean, and palm, are rich in fatty acids that can be converted into Bio Lubricants. Using these oils reduces the dependency on fossil fuels, making them a sustainable and eco-friendly alternative. Additionally, government regulations and policies promoting the use of renewable and sustainable resources have aided the growth of this market. Moreover, the demand for Bio Lubricants is increasing in various industries such as automotive, food processing, agriculture, and marine, to name a few. Using Bio Lubricants in these sectors enhances performance and helps reduce carbon footprint and environmental impact, making it a preferred choice for end-users.
The global Bio Lubricants market can be categorized on the following: Product Type, Application, End-Users, and Region. Based on Product Type, the market can be categorized into Vegetable Oil-Based, Animal Fat-Based, and Other Product Types. In addition, based on Application, the market can be split between Hydraulic Fluids, Metalworking Fluids, Gear Oils, Engine Oils, Greases, and Other Applications. Additionally, based on End-Users the market can be categorized into Automotive, Marine, Aerospace, Industrial, Construction, and Other End Users. Likewise, based on Region, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Product Type
Vegetable oil-based Bio Lubricants to Accommodate Maximum Market Share due to Superior Biodegradability
In 2022, vegetable oil-based Bio Lubricants dominated the market. Bio Lubricants are an emerging class of lubricants derived from vegetable oil-based feedstocks. These lubricants utilize renewable resources, such as soybeans, sunflower, palm, and rapeseed. Bio Lubricants are a growing market due to their reduced carbon footprint and eco-friendliness, as they are biodegradable and non-toxic. They offer several benefits over conventional lubricants, such as high viscosity index, low volatility, and excellent anti-wear properties. They are used in various applications like hydraulic oil, engine oil, metalworking fluids, and gear oil. Growing environmental concerns and stringent regulations drive the demand for Bio Lubricants worldwide. The Bio Lubricants market is projected to grow significantly due to the increasing demand for sustainable lubrication solutions. The high cost of Bio Lubricants is a significant challenge for the market's growth, but ongoing research and development are expected to bring forth cost-effective solutions.
Based on End-users
Automotive Sector to Express Dominion owing to the requirement to minimize Carbon Emissions and meet Regulatory Standards
Between 2023 and 2030, the automotive sector is anticipated to grow fastest. These lubricants are made from vegetable oils and other renewable resources, making them a viable alternative to petroleum-based lubricants. They offer improved engine performance and longevity, reduced carbon emissions, and lower toxic waste than traditional lubricants. Furthermore, adopting strict government regulations regarding environmental safety and health is driving the growth of the bio-lubricant market in the automotive sector. Additionally, the increasing demand for hybrid and electric vehicles is also driving the growth of the bio-lubricant market in the automotive industry, owing to their use in applications such as engine oil, transmission fluid, and hydraulic oil.
Based on Applications
Hydraulic Fluids to Express Dominion owing to their vast range of Uses in Industries
Between 2023 and 2030, the hydraulic fluids are anticipated to grow fastest. The Bio Lubricants market is expected to witness substantial growth in the coming years, driven by the growing demand for eco-friendly products. Bio Lubricants are derived from renewable sources, such as vegetable oils, and are biodegradable, making them an ideal alternative to conventional petroleum-based lubricants. The hydraulic fluids segment is expected to be a major contributor to the growth of the Bio Lubricants market, owing to the increasing use of hydraulic systems in various industries, including construction, agriculture, and mining. Bio-based hydraulic fluids offer superior performance and are environmentally friendly, making them popular among end-users.
Based on Region
Asia Pacific to Lead Global Sales Owing to Changing Lifestyles and Increasing Popularity
Europe is the largest region in the global Bio Lubricants market, accounting for a significant share in value and volume. The region has witnessed a considerable increase in the demand for bio-based products owing to supportive government regulations and policies, particularly in the automotive and industrial sectors. Moreover, increasing environmental concerns and awareness among consumers have further boosted the region's demand for Bio Lubricants. Furthermore, the growing trend of utilizing renewable energy sources has positively impacted the bio-lubricant market, as they offer significant advantages over traditional petroleum-based lubricants.
In 2022, the market in North America was growing rapidly. The growth in this region is attributed to the increasing demand for renewable and biodegradable products coupled with stringent government regulations regarding the usage of petroleum-based products. The rise in public awareness regarding environmental degradation, sustainable development, and the conservation of natural resources has further accelerated the adoption of Bio Lubricants in this region. Countries such as China and India are particularly driving the growth of this market in the Asia-Pacific region, due to the significant demand for automotive lubricants in these countries.
The global Bio Lubricants market is highly fragmented, with the presence of numerous small and large players. Some of the key players include Exxon Mobil Corporation, Royal Dutch Shell Plc., Total S.A., Chevron Corporation, FUCHS, BP plc, Renewable Lubricants Inc., Klüber Lubrication, Panolin AG, and Biosynthetic Technologies. These companies focus on product innovation, partnerships, and collaborations to expand their presence in the market. Moreover, the growing demand for sustainable products and stringent government regulations regarding environmental conservation are expected to drive the market growth in the coming years.
The key players in the global Bio Lubricants market include - PANOLIN AG (Switzerland), FUCHS (Germany), Shell (Netherlands), Exxon Mobil Corporation (U.S.), Total (France), Cargill (U.S.), Axel Christiernsson (Sweden), BECHEM (Germany), Cortec Corporation (U.S.), Environmental Lubricants Manufacturing Inc. (U.S.) Klüber Lubrication (Germany), Novvi LLC (U.S.), Repsol (Spain), BP PLC (U.K.), Emery Oleochemicals (Malaysia), IGOL (Norway), LanoPro (Norway) among others.
Recent Market Developments
- June 2022: TotalEnergies launched a new range of environmentally friendly bio-based lubricants under the ELF Evolution brand. This new product line is designed to replace petroleum-based lubricants and offer superior performance, while reducing carbon emissions.
- February 2021: ExxonMobil partnered with REG, a leading U.S. biodiesel producer, to develop and produce sustainable biodiesel and renewable diesel fuel. This collaboration will promote the use of environmentally sustainable products and increase the availability of renewable fuels in the market.
- April 2021: Klüber Lubrication introduced a new series of bio-based lubricants made from renewable raw materials. The new product line, called Klüberbio™ LR 9-102, has been formulated to provide high-performance lubrication in various applications, including marine and hydraulic systems.
Segmentation of the Global Bio Lubricants Market
- Product Type (Vegetable Oil-based Lubricants, Animal Fat-based Lubricants, Synthetic Ester-based Lubricants, Poly-Alkylene Glycol-based Lubricants, Other Product Types)
- Application (Hydraulic Fluids, Metalworking Fluids, Gear Oils, Engine Oils, Greases, Gear Oils, Greases, Other Applications)
- End-Users (Industrial, Automotive, Marine, Aerospace, Construction, Other End Users)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- PANOLIN AG (Switzerland)
- FUCHS (Germany)
- Shell (Netherlands)
- Exxon Mobil Corporation (U.S.)
- Total (France)
- Cargill (U.S.)
- Axel Christiernsson (Sweden)
- BECHEM (Germany)
- Cortec Corporation (U.S.)
- Environmental Lubricants Manufacturing Inc. (U.S.) Klüber Lubrication (Germany)
- Novvi LLC (U.S.)
- Repsol (Spain)
- BP PLC (U.K.)
- Emery Oleochemicals (Malaysia)
- IGOL (Norway)
- LanoPro (Norway)
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options