Benzene Market - Global Industry Assessment & Forecast
- By Derivatives Ethylbenzene, Cumene, Alkylbenzene, Cyclohexane, Nitrobenzene, Other Derivatives
- By Manufacturing Process Catalytic Reforming, Toluene Disproportionation, Toluene Hydrodealkylation Pyrolysis, Steam Cracking of Naphtha, From Biomass
- By Applications Plastics, Solvent, Chemical Intermediates, Surfactants, Rubber Manufacturing, Detergents, Explosives, Lubricants, Pesticides, Other Applications
- By End-Use Industrial Chemicals, Pharmaceuticals, Oil and Gas, Rubber and Plastics, Other End-Uses
- By Region North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa
|Forecast Years:||2023 - 2030|
|Historical Years:||2017 - 2021|
|Revenue 2022:||USD 34.98 Billion|
|Revenue 2030:||USD 55.76 Billion|
|Revenue CAGR (2023 - 2030):||6.00%|
|Fastest Growing Region (2023 - 2030)||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Region (2022):||Asia Pacific|
- Cross-segment Market Size and Analysis for Mentioned Segments
- Additional Company Profiles (Upto 5 With No Cost)
- Additional Countries (Apart From Mentioned Countries)
- Country/Region-specific Report
- Go To Market Strategy
- Region Specific Market Dynamics
- Region Level Market Share
- Import Export Analysis
- Production Analysis
- Others Request Customization Speak To Analyst
AI (GPT) is here !!! Ask questions about Benzene Market
The Benzene Market is expected to grow significantly in the coming years on account of increasing demand from various industries such as construction, automotive, and electronics. Various factors such as rapid urbanization, growing population, and rise in disposable incomes are anticipated to propel the growth of the market. Moreover, Benzene is widely used as a raw material for producing other important chemicals such as ethylBenzene, cumene, cyclohexane, phenol, maleic anhydride, and alkylBenzene. This is likely to create a positive outlook for the market in the forecast period. However, stringent government regulations pertaining to the use of Benzene owing to its carcinogenic nature are anticipated to be a major challenge for market growth.
Over the past few years, the demand for Benzene has been increasing in various industries because Benzene is a key ingredient in the production of many different materials and products. For example, Benzene is used to make plastics, resins, synthetic fibers, rubber, lubricants, dyes, and detergents. It is also used as a solvent in the printing, painting, and dry-cleaning industries. The construction industry is one of the biggest users of Benzene. This is because Benzene is used to make concrete and other building materials. The automotive industry also uses a lot of Benzene. This is because it is used to make gasoline, oil additives, and plastics for cars. The electronics industry uses Benzene to make semiconductors and other electronic components. Benzene is used as a raw material in the production of phenol, which is further used in resins, adhesives, and sealants. The global construction industry was worth approximately $13,570.90 billion in 2022 and is projected to reach $39,352.08 billion by 2031, expanding at a CAGR of 11.5%. This growth is expected to drive the demand for Benzene during the forecast period. The automotive industry is another major end-use industry for Benzene. It is mainly used in the production of tires, plastics, synthetic rubber, detergents, and dyes. The rising demand for passenger cars and commercial vehicles across the globe is expected to drive the automotive industry during the forecast period. According to OICA data, the production of passenger cars reached 57 million units in 2021.
Benzene Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
The world population is expected to reach 9.7 billion by 2050, and most of this growth will be concentrated in urban areas. Additionally, Benzene is a key component in many industries, such as the automotive, construction, and electronics sectors. It is used to produce plastics, resins, synthetic fibers, rubber, and other materials. The demand for these products is expected to increase as the world population continues to grow. The rise in disposable incomes is also boosting the demand for Benzene. As people have more money to spend, they are buying more goods and services that require Benzene. Furthermore, the growth in the automobile industry will require large amounts of Benzene to produce the necessary parts and components. The market for Benzene is expected to continue growing in the coming years as the world population increases and disposable incomes rise. Benzene is a colorless and flammable liquid with a sweet smell. It is widely used as a raw material in the production of other important chemicals, such as ethylBenzene, cyclohexane, cumene, phenol, aniline, and alkylBenzenes. The major end-use industries for Benzene include rubber, plastics, detergents, drugs, dyes, resins, adhesives, inks, and pesticides. The Benzene Market is driven by the growing demand for these applications.
One of the key restraining factors for the growth of Benzene is the stringent environmental regulations in developed nations. Benzene is classified as a carcinogen and its production and use are strictly regulated in regions such as North America and Europe. This has resulted in a decrease in demand for Benzene from these key markets, which is having a negative impact on the overall market growth. Another significant restraint on the Benzene Market is the volatile raw material prices. Benzene is derived from crude oil and natural gas, and thus its price is largely dependent on the fluctuations in these commodity prices. This makes it difficult for manufacturers to maintain consistent pricing for their products, which impacts margins and profitability. Lastly, another challenge faced by the industry is the increasing competition from substitutes such as toluene, xylene, and synthetic rubber. These products are gaining popularity due to their lower cost and improved performance characteristics, which is leading to a decline in demand for Benzene from certain applications.
Top Market Trends
The Benzene Market is constantly evolving, and keeping up with the latest trends is essential for any business operating in this space. Here are some of the top market trends of the Benzene Market that you need to be aware of:
1. Increasing demand from Asia-Pacific: The Asia-Pacific region is the largest consumer of Benzene, accounting for over 40% of global demand. This demand is only set to increase in the coming years, as the region's economy continues to grow.
2. Tightening environmental regulations: Benzene is a hazardous substance, and there are increasing restrictions on its use and production around the world. This trend is likely to continue, as governments look to protect public health and the environment.
3. shifting feedstock landscape: The main feedstock for Benzene production is crude oil, but this is changing as shale gas emerges as a viable alternative. This shift could have a major impact on Benzene prices in the future.
4. Consolidation in the industry: The Benzene Market has undergone consolidation in recent years, with a number of large mergers and acquisitions taking place. This trend is set to continue, as companies look to strengthen their position in this increasingly competitive marketplace.
5. Cellular rubber is one of the most important applications for Benzene and it is forecast to grow significantly in the next few years. This rubber is used in a wide variety of products such as tires, hoses, seals, and gaskets.
6. The global demand for ethylBenzene is also expected to increase due to its use in the production of styrene-butadiene rubber (SBR). This type of rubber is used in a number of industries including automotive, construction, and packaging.
7. Another important trend in the Benzene Market is the growing demand for paraxylene. This compound is used in the production of polyester fabrics and plastics. The Asia-Pacific region is the largest market for this product and it is expected to continue to grow in the coming years.
8. New applications for Benzene: Benzene is used in a wide range of applications, including solvents, adhesives, plastics, rubber, dyes, and detergents. However, new applications are constantly being developed for this versatile product, which means that there is immense potential for growth in this market.
The market is segmented based on Derivatives, Manufacturing Process, Applications, End-Use, and Region. On the basis of Derivatives, the market is segmented into EthylBenzene, Cumene, AlkylBenzene, Cyclohexane, NitroBenzene, and Other Derivatives. On the basis of the Manufacturing Process, the market is segmented into Catalytic Reforming, Toluene Disproportionation, Toluene Hydrodealkylation Pyrolysis, Steam Cracking of Naphtha, and From Biomass. On the basis of Applications, the market is segmented into Plastics, Solvents, Chemical Intermediates, Surfactants, Rubber Manufacturing, Detergents, Explosives, Lubricants, Pesticides, and other applications. On the basis of End-Use, the market is segmented into Packaging, Pharmaceuticals, Agriculture, Construction, Textile, and others.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Derivatives
The ethylBenzene segment is expected to have the highest market share in the Benzene Market due to its high demand from the styrene industry. Benzene is a key feedstock for the production of styrene, which is used in a variety of applications, such as packaging, construction, and electronics. Additionally, ethylBenzene is used as a fuel additive and as a solvent in the paint and coatings industry. The high demand for Benzene from the styrene industry is expected to drive the growth of the ethylBenzene segment. Furthermore, the growing use of Benzene as a fuel additive and solvent is expected to boost the demand for ethylBenzene over the forecast period. Cumene, also known as isopropylBenzene, is a clear, colorless liquid with a sweet smell. It is flammable and volatile. Cumene is used as a solvent and as a raw material for the production of phenol and acetone. Cumene segment is expected to have the second highest market share in the Benzene Market due to its widespread use as a solvent and as a raw material for the production of phenol and acetone. Moreover, cumene is less toxic than Benzene and has a lower vapor pressure, making it safer to handle and transport.
Based on Manufacturing Process
The catalytic reforming segment is expected to register a rapid revenue growth rate over the forecast period. This process is extensively used in the production of high-octane gasoline and aromatic chemicals. It is also employed in the petrochemical industry for the synthesis of polymers such as polyethylene and polypropylene. Furthermore, it is used as a raw material for the manufacture of phenol, an important intermediate in the production of plastics. The rising demand for these applications is expected to drive segment growth over the next eight years. Because of an increase in the use of low-octane straight-run naphtha that contains naphthenes for the production of high-octane aromatics like Benzene and low-sulfur fuel used in gasoline, the catalytic reforming segment is anticipated to record a rapid growth rate in its revenue during the forecast period. In addition, catalytic reforming generates precious hydrogen, which can subsequently be put to use by hydroprocessing units in the manufacture of environmentally friendly fuels. Using this technique leads to a greater quantity of gasoline being produced. The typical reformate aromatics with high octane range widely in their chemical make-up, but the vast majority of them include between 10 and 32 weight percent of ethylBenzene and an equilibrium quantity of xylenes. During the process of reforming, various amounts of ethylBenzene are produced. These amounts are determined by the composition of the naphtha.
Based on Applications
The industrial chemical segment is projected to hold the largest market share in terms of revenue in 2021. The rising demand for Benzene from the paints & coatings industry is one of the major factors driving the growth of this market segment. Benzene is used as a solvent and an intermediate in the production of paints, dyes, detergents, medicines, resins, synthetic fibers, explosives, and other chemicals. The plastics & rubber industry is another major end-user of Benzene. Benzene is used as a feedstock in the production of styrene monomer (SM), which is further used to produce polystyrene (PS) and styrene-butadiene rubber (SBR). The major applications of Benzene include the production of ethylBenzene, cumene, cyclohexane, and alkylBenzene. These chemicals are used in a wide range of industries such as construction, automotive, electronics, and packaging. Among these applications, the production of ethylBenzene is the largest application segment of Benzene and accounted for more than 50% of the total demand in 2021. EthylBenzene is an important feedstock for the production of styrene monomer (SM), which is further used to produce polystyrene (PS) and expandable polystyrene (EPS). PS and EPS are widely used in packaging applications. The automotive industry is another major consumer of Benzene. It is used as a fuel additive and in the production of lubricants, plastics, resins, and synthetic rubber. The electronics industry uses Benzene in the manufacture of semiconductors and other electronic components.
Based on End Use
The pharmaceuticals segment is expecting a fast revenue growth rate over the forecast period. The main reason for this segment's fast growth is the increasing demand for Benzene-based drugs globally. The pharmaceuticals segment is expected to be the fastest-growing end-use segment of the market during the forecast period. The growing demand for Benzene in the pharmaceutical industry can be attributed to its wide use as a key raw material in the production of a number of drugs, including anesthetics, analgesics, anti-inflammatory agents, and anticancer drugs. In addition, Benzene is also used as a denaturant in certain drugs such as vaccines. Moreover, rising health awareness among people and the need for better quality medicines are fuelling the demand for more effective drugs, which in turn is driving the growth of this market segment. As a solvent, Benzene is commonly used in the pharmaceutical sector. Benzene is the starting point for the synthesis of the chemical compound chloroBenzene, which is then put to use in the production of either paracetamol or vitamin B6. The medication can be utilized in the synthesis of anticancer drugs, antithyroid pharmaceuticals, antiepileptics, and antiepileptics. In addition, chloroBenzene is a component in the production of zoledronic acid, which is a medication that is used to treat osteoporosis in postmenopausal women and men who have an increased risk of bone fractures. Additionally, chlorphenoxamine, a drug that is used to treat allergy symptoms and antiaging, functions in a manner that is analogous to that of diphenhydramine. In addition to being a key component of active medicinal drugs, monochloroBenzene is also a component. These derivatives are also included in a wide variety of pain medications, including aspirin, naproxen, and ibuprofen, and they work to reduce inflammation, pain, and fever. Additionally, phenylpropanolamine, a synthetic chemical derivative, is utilized as a nasal decongestant. Phenylpropanolamine is employed for this purpose.
Based on Region
The Asia Pacific Benzene Market had a revenue share of 45.2% in 2022 and is expected to grow significantly during the forecast period. The region is projected to dominate the global market due to the presence of major manufacturers in countries such as China, Japan, South Korea, and India. China is the leading consumer of Benzene in the Asia Pacific region, accounting for a demand share of approximately 50%. The country is also the largest producer of coal-based chemicals, which includes Benzene. The government’s supportive policies regarding the development of the chemical industry are expected to drive the growth of the Benzene Market in China. Japan is another significant consumer of Benzene in the region. The country is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of electronic goods and vehicles. Benzene is used as a building block for various products such as plastics, detergents, drugs, and dyes. Demand from these applications is expected to grow during the forecast period.
The North American Benzene Market is expected to witness strong growth during the forecast period due to the increasing packaging, petrochemical, and pharmaceutical industries in the region. The US is the largest market for Benzene in North America, followed by Canada and Mexico. The rising demand for packaging materials from the food & beverage and cosmetics industries is driving the growth of the Benzene Market in North America. Benzene is used as a raw material for the production of plastics such as polystyrene and styrene-butadiene rubber (SBR). It is also used as a solvent in printing inks, adhesives, resins, and dyes. The growing population and changing lifestyle trends are resulting in increased consumption of packaged food & beverages, which is driving the demand for packaging materials. The increasing demand for petrochemicals in North America is another significant factor fueling the growth of the Benzene Market. Benzene is used as a feedstock for cumene, ethylBenzene, alkylBenzenes, phenol, aniline, acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS), and other chemicals. The region has witnessed an increase in shale gas exploration activities, which has led to a rise in the production of natural gas liquids (NGLs).
The key players in the Global Benzene Market include- BASF SE (Germany), Braskem (Brazil), Reliance Industries Limited (India), Shell PLC (UK), SABIC (Saudi Arabia), SIBUR (Russia), Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LLC (US), China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation (China), Eastman Chemical Company (US), Exxon Mobil Corporation (US), Flint Hills Resources LLC (US), Hengyi Industries Sdn Bhd (Brunei), INEOS Group Ltd. (UK), LG Chemicals Company (South Korea), LyondellBasell Industries Holdings BV (Netherlands), Marathon Petroleum Company (US), Maruzen Petrochemical (Japan), Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (Japan) and others.
● As part of its refining and petrochemical expansion project in Pulau Muara Besar of Brunei, Hengyi Petrochemical planned to construct a Benzene plant in February 2021 with the intention of increasing the annual capacity from 500 kiloton to 800 kiloton. The company's goal in taking this step is to strengthen its position in the petrochemical industry.
● On May 10, 2022, BASF SE will provide the means for SP Chemicals to become the first styrene facility in the United States to use the Industry 4.0 solution known as StyroSim. The user-friendly and engaging digital tool makes use of big data analysis to increase the amount of styrene catalyst that can be produced. The combination of process modeling and optimization, analysis of big data, and automated data transfer has the potential to successfully maximize production while simultaneously optimizing the operating efficiency of a facility.
● INEOS Capital Limited paid BP plc $5 billion to purchase the Aromatics and Acetyls businesses on January 1, 2021. This transaction took place. INEOS Acetyls and INEOS Aromatics are going to be the names of the companies going forward. The acquisition will enhance not only the portfolio but also the capabilities of the worldwide polyester company, which now consists of PET packaging, polyester fiber, and film.
Segmentation of the Global Benzene Market
|Regions & Countries Covered||
|Report Coverage||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19 impact analysis|
Frequently Asked Question
What is the global demand for Benzene in terms of revenue?
The global Benzene valued at USD 34.98 Billion in 2022 and is expected to reach USD 55.76 Billion in 2030 growing at a CAGR of 6.00%.
Which are the prominent players in the market?
The prominent players in the market are BASF SE (Germany), Braskem (Brazil), Reliance Industries Limited (India), Shell PLC (UK), SABIC (Saudi Arabia), SIBUR (Russia), Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LLC (US), China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation (China), Eastman Chemical Company (US), Exxon Mobil Corporation (US), Flint Hills Resources LLC (US), Hengyi Industries Sdn Bhd (Brunei), INEOS Group Ltd. (UK), LG Chemicals Company (South Korea), LyondellBasell Industries Holdings BV (Netherlands), Marathon Petroleum Company (US), Maruzen Petrochemical (Japan), Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (Japan).
At what CAGR is the market projected to grow within the forecast period?
The market is project to grow at a CAGR of 6.00% between 2023 and 2030.
What are the driving factors fueling the growth of the market.
The driving factors of the Benzene include
- Growing Demand In The Asia-Pacific
Which region accounted for the largest share in the market?
Asia Pacific was the leading regional segment of the Benzene in 2022.