The global Stem Cell Therapy Market is valued at USD 235.4 Million in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 831.9 Million by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 17.2% between 2023 and 2030.
The World Health Organization (WHO) states that neurological disorders and cerebrovascular diseases considerably increase worldwide disease burden. As a result, companies are actively engaged in basic research and preclinical studies to investigate the ability of stem cells to regenerate tissues and treat neurological disorders. Additionally, substantial funding is being provided for cellular cancer therapies, driving the market for Stem Cell Therapy to grow. The demand for improved experimental medical therapies is driven by the increased prevalence of chronic diseases in both established and emerging nations, such as cancer, neurological problems, and diseases like muscular dystrophy. For instance, according to the American Cancer Society, in 2022, there were an estimated 1,918,030 new cancer cases in the United States, and 609,360 deaths were notified in 2022. The prevalence of cancer is increasing globally, prompting improvements in cancer therapies that are given priority on a regional and national level.
Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Million)
According to the International Agency for Research on Cancer, 1 in 5 people will get cancer at some point in their lifetime, with lung and prostate cancer being more common in men and breast, colorectal, lung, cervical, and thyroid cancer more common in women. For the treatment of cancer, both autologous and allogeneic stem cell transplants are used. The COVID-19 pandemic has also contributed to the market for Stem Cell Therapy's expansion. Research is being done to determine whether Stem Cell Therapy can cure COVID-19. Stem Cell Therapy is being evaluated as a promising treatment for COVID-19, an area of focus. For instance, the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM) awarded a grant of USD 5 million to Lineage Cell Therapeutics to fund the creation of a possible vaccine against SARS-CoV-2 utilizing their allogeneic dendritic cell therapy. The market for stem cell therapies is expanding due to continuous research into COVID-19 treatment.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
- North America generated more than 42.30% of revenue share in 2022
- Asia Pacific is expected to expand at the fastest CAGR from 2023 to 2030
- Based on Type, the Allogeneic Stem Cell Therapy segment contributed more than 66.2% of revenue share in 2022.
- Based on Cell sources, the Adipose tissue segment recorded the most significant market share in 2022.
- Based on Therapeutic Applications, the Musculoskeletal Disorder category led the market in 2022.
Stem Cell Therapy has significant economic benefits in several areas. The Stem Cell Therapy sector includes international collaboration and stakeholder competition. Leading players in stem cell research and therapy now include the United States, China, and Germany. Cooperative efforts in research and clinical trials help the field advance. Stem Cell Therapy is an expensive choice for treatment because of its intricate procedures, specialized settings, and customized nature. The price is affected by things including the kind of stem cells employed, the therapeutic purpose, and the location of the treatment. However, access to affordable treatment is still a problem, particularly in areas with little insurance coverage or healthcare resources. As the market develops, increasing cost-effectiveness and expanding payment options are essential for increasing Stem Cell Therapy accessibility.
Stem Cell Therapy has attracted considerable investment and funding from various sources, including venture capital firms, government grants, and private investors. The initiatives taken by the government to support the research studies are also contributing to the market’s growth. For instance, in June 2020, the Australian Government funded USD 5.9 million for eight medical research projects to find new and innovative stem cell treatments for incurable diseases, including leukemia, Parkinson's, and epilepsy.
Top Market Trends
- Increasing Number of Clinical Trials: The number of clinical trials investigating the security and effectiveness of various stem cell therapies has increased in the market for stem cell therapies. These studies address a variety of ailments, such as autoimmune diseases, cardiovascular diseases, orthopedic injuries, and neurological issues. The results of these tests will determine how the market will develop in the future.
- Growing Regenerative Medicine Market: The market for regenerative medicine, which involves repairing or replacing damaged cells, tissues, or organs to restore normal function, is fundamentally impacted by Stem Cell Therapy. Due to stem cell therapies' potential to treat chronic diseases and degenerative ailments, regenerative medicine is expanding significantly.
- Rising Investments and Funding: The public and corporate sectors have invested considerably in the Stem Cell Therapy market. Clinical trials, research and development projects, and commercialization initiatives receive funding. This financial assistance is fueling innovation and boosting market expansion.
- Technology and technique advancements: The area is completely transformed by improvements in stem cell isolation, expansion, and differentiation methods. Induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs), adult stem cells, and embryonic stem cells are some of the stem cell types researchers are investigating. Additionally, modern innovations like CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing tools are improving the accuracy and potential of Stem Cell Therapy.
The global Stem Cell Therapy market can be categorized on the following: Type, Cell Source, Therapeutic Application, and Region.
The market is segmented based on Type into Allogeneic Stem Cell Therapy and Autologous Stem Cell Therapy. Furthermore, based on Cell Sources, the market can be further segregated into Adipose Tissue-derived MSCs (Mesenchymal Stem Cells), Bone Marrow-derived MSCs (Mesenchymal Stem Cells), and Others Cell Sources. Additionally, based on the segment of Therapeutic Application, the market is further bifurcated into Musculoskeletal Disorders, Wounds & Injuries, Surgeries, Inflammatory & Autoimmune Diseases, Neurological Disorders, and Other Therapeutic Applications. Finally, based on Region, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Type
Allogeneic Stem Cell Therapy to Account for the Largest Market Share
There is a rapid increase in allogeneic Stem Cell Therapy during 2022. The potential of allogeneic transplants to give the patient a new immune system is one of the leading causes of this increase. In addition to supplying the required stem cells, donor cells that engraft in the recipient also aid in developing a healthy immune system, which is essential for battling the disease.
Based on the Cell Source
Adipose tissue will dominate the market during Forecast Period
Adipose tissue has significantly contributed to the Stem Cell Therapy market. Many essential elements, including the simple isolation procedures connected with adipose-derived stem cells (ASCs), are responsible for this market's supremacy. Adipose tissue is a desirable source of stem cells due to the ease with which it may be retrieved from patients during less invasive harvesting procedures like liposuction. ASCs can also differentiate into various mesodermal tissue types, including bone, cartilage, muscle, and adipose tissue, and they have a comparably higher proliferation potential. These qualities make adipose-derived stem cells extremely adaptable in tissue engineering and regenerative medicine applications, furthering this niche's development and revenue potential in the Stem Cell Therapy market.
Based on Therapeutic Application
Musculoskeletal Disorders will accommodate the majority of the market
The musculoskeletal disorder category leads the Stem Cell Therapy industry in revenue generation. These conditions, such as carpal tunnel syndrome, cartilage degeneration, ligament injuries, and failed orthopedic implants, are prevalent in people of all ages. Stem Cell Therapy uses the regenerative abilities of stem cells to repair and regenerate damaged musculoskeletal tissues, making it a promising treatment option for many disorders. The desire for efficient and long-lasting treatments for musculoskeletal illnesses is increasing, and the market for Stem Cell Therapy in this area is anticipated to contribute significantly to overall revenue.
Based on Region
North America accounted for the most significant Revenue
The market for Stem Cell Therapy is anticipated to develop significantly in North America due to numerous essential elements contributing to this expansion. The area has a robust and well-established biotechnology sector that offers a good platform for creating and marketing stem cell therapies. The market's existence of significant key players also helps North America's growth. Additionally, considerable Stem Cell Therapy-related research and development (R&D) efforts are being carried out in North America. Reputable research organizations, academic institutions, and biotechnology businesses are located in the area, and they are all actively working to advance stem cell research and turn it into medicinal applications.
The Stem Cell Therapy market is fragmented and competitive, including a mix of large pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, smaller biotech startups, academic institutions, and research organizations. Major players such as Novartis and Gilead Sciences have invested significantly in developing and commercializing innovative stem cell-based therapies, particularly CAR-T cell therapy for cancer treatment. The competitive environment focuses on finding safe and effective medicines, obtaining regulatory approvals, and increasing market share.
The key players in the global Stem Cell Therapy market include Stem Cell Therapy among others.
Recent Market Developments
- February 2022: American CryoStem collaborated with BioTherapeutic Labs Corp to research and develop stem cells. The primary purpose of this collaboration was to develop and improve protocols utilizing CRYO’s ATCell and BTL’s human umbilical cord-based product lines.
- August 2022: Global Blood Therapeutics, Inc., a biopharmaceutical company dedicated to discovering, developing, and delivering life-changing treatments like sickle cell disease. Pfizer Inc. announced that the two companies have entered into a binding agreement. The acquisition strengthens the company's commitment to SCD by bringing expertise, a premier portfolio, and a pipeline to address the full spectrum of critical needs. It also complements and further enhances Pfizer's more than 30-year history in rare hematology. Pfizer wants to expand on the mutual commitment and involvement of the two companies with the SCD community.
Segmentation of the Global Market
- Type (Allogeneic, Autologous)
- Cell Source (Adipose Tissue-derived MSCs (Mesenchymal Stem Cells), Bone Marrow-derived MSCs, Others Cell Sources)
- Therapeutic Application (Musculoskeletal Disorders, Wounds & Injuries, Surgeries, Inflammatory & Autoimmune Diseases, Neurological Disorders, Other Therapeutic Applications)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Advanced Cell Technology Inc. (U.S.)
- Caladrius Biosciences (U.S.)
- Angel Biotechnology (Scotland)
- Bioheart Inc. (U.S.)
- Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics (U.S.)
- Celgene Corporation (U.S.)
- Cellartis AB (Sweden)
- CellGenix GmbH (Germany)
- Cellular Engineering Technologies Inc. (U.S.)
- Gamida Cell (Israel)
- Genea Biocells (U.S.)
- Osiris Therapeutics (U.S.)
- PromoCell GmbH (Germany)
- STEMCELL Technologies Inc. (Canada)
- Tigenix Waisman Biomanufacturing (U.S.)
- Kite Pharma (U.S.)
- Lonza (Switzerland)
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options