The global Sickle Cell Disease Diagnosis Market is valued at USD 1.7 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 4.31 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 12.4% between 2023 and 2030.
According to an article by HemaSphere in June 2022, sickle cell disease (SCD) is known for its wide global presence and significant social consequences. It is particularly prevalent in Sub-Saharan Africa, the Mediterranean, the Middle East, and India. Moreover, as global migration continues to occur, the disease's prevalence is also rising in other parts of the world. Consequently, this upward trend in sickle cell disease cases is anticipated to drive market growth in the projected period.
Sickle Cell Disease Diagnosis Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
- The market is expected to be driven by the increasing efforts from governments and private organizations to address this disease. For instance, according to the WHO, Africa is home to more than 66% of the 120 million people affected worldwide by this disease. With around 1,000 children born with sickle cell disease every day in Africa, it is the most common genetically inherited disease in the region. Therefore, the high prevalence of sickle cell disease and the growing awareness campaigns to treat it are key factors driving the market.
- North America generated more than 39.8% of revenue share in 2022
- Asia Pacific is expected to grow at the quickest rate from 2023 to 2030
- Blood transfusion segment accounted for the largest market growth. It contributed over 47.5% of the total revenue share in 2022
- Hospitals segment revealed the most significant market growth, contributing more than 44.8% of the total revenue share in 2022
The market has shown remarkable growth over the last five years, with an impressive CAGR. The market is driven by prevalence of SCD, which affects healthcare costs for diagnostic procedures, treatment, and ongoing management. Investments in research and development are also significant, as advancements in diagnostic technologies and more accurate tests can impact healthcare expenditures. Government initiatives and policies supporting SCD research play a crucial economic role, stimulating innovation and improving accessibility to diagnostic tools. The economic burden of SCD on healthcare systems and society highlights the importance of effective diagnostics for early intervention and improved patient outcomes.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
Top Market Trends
- Advancements in Diagnostic Technologies: SCD diagnosis market has experienced continuous advancements in diagnostic technologies, which have led to improved accuracy and efficiency in diagnosing SCD, thanks to enhanced molecular and genetic testing methods such as DNA analysis and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) techniques.
- Focus on Early Diagnosis and Intervention: Recognizing the significance of timely management, early diagnosis and intervention are crucial for effectively managing SCD. Emphasizing the importance of identifying the condition in its initial phases, this approach facilitates prompt therapeutic interventions and preventive measures.
- Rise in Public Health Initiatives: Efforts to address the challenges of SCD are ongoing, with public health initiatives at both national and international levels. These initiatives have a goal of enhancing diagnosis rates, improving access to care, and overall outcomes for individuals living with SCD.
- Growth of point-of-care testing: The popularity of point-of-care (POC) testing for SCD is rising steadily. POC tests, which are compact and portable, can be employed to identify SCD in various settings, including clinics, hospitals, and even one's own residence.
The globel Sickle Cell Disease Diagnosis market can be categorized into Type , End User , Region . The Market can be categorized into Blood Transfusion , Bone Marrow Transplant , Pharmacotherapy based on Type . The Market can be categorized into Hospitals, Specialty Clinics , Others based on End User . The Market can be categorized into North America , Europe , Asia Pacific , Latin America , Middle East & Africa based on Region .
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Type
Blood transfusion holds the largest share
Blood transfusion dominates the market due to the dual role of blood transfusions in confirming the diagnosis of SCD and monitoring the condition in individuals who have already been diagnosed. In the diagnostic process, blood transfusions are used to measure the levels of hemoglobin S (HbS), which is the abnormal type of hemoglobin that is characteristic of SCD. High levels of HbS strongly indicate the presence of SCD. Furthermore, blood transfusions are essential in monitoring individuals who have confirmed SCD, as they help reduce the levels of HbS in the blood and improve the associated symptoms.
Based on End User
Hospitals will dominate the market during Forecast Period
The market is expected to be predominantly driven by the hospitals. The large number of patients seeking diagnosis and treatment for SCD makes hospitals the central hubs for SCD care. In addition, hospitals have access to specialized equipment and expertise, such as blood analyzers and genetic testing equipment, which enables them to provide accurate and efficient SCD diagnosis. Furthermore, hospitals are unique in their ability to offer comprehensive care, including precise diagnosis, a range of treatment options, and support services.
Based on Region
North America lead the market
North America is expected to dominate the because of the region's high prevalence of SCD. North America's leading position is reinforced by its advanced healthcare infrastructure, including specialized SCD care centers and advanced diagnostic technologies, which facilitate precise and efficient diagnoses. Furthermore, the region's commitment to advancing SCD diagnostics is evident through government support, as financial backing for research and development initiatives has resulted in the development of new and highly accurate diagnostic tests.
The market is highly competitive, with various players striving to improve the accuracy and accessibility of diagnostics. Established pharmaceutical and diagnostic companies, as well as emerging players, are actively involved in research and development to introduce innovative diagnostic technologies and tests. Collaboration and partnerships between diagnostic firms, healthcare institutions, and research organizations are widespread, leading to advancements in diagnostic tools and methodologies.
The players in the global market include Novartis AG, Holdings, Halcyon Biomedical Incorporated, Silver Lake Research Corporation, Quest Diagnostics, Emmaus Medical Inc., Addmedica, Medunik USA Inc., STRECK INC., Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc., Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, Agios Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Daktari Diagnostics, Biomedomics Inc., Laboratory Corporation of America among others.
Recent Market Developments
- December 2022: According to an official statement from the company, Bluebird Bio Inc.'s gene therapy trials to treat sickle cell disease have been partially put on hold by the US FDA.
- July 2022: Oxbryta, developed by Global Blood Therapeutics Inc., has received marketing clearance to treat hemolytic anemia associated with sickle cell disease (SCD) in adults and children aged 12 and above. It can be used alone or in combination with hydroxycarbamide.
Segmentation of the Global Market
- Type (Blood Transfusion , Bone Marrow Transplant , Pharmacotherapy )
- End User (Hospitals, Specialty Clinics , Others )
- Region (North America , Europe , Asia Pacific , Latin America , Middle East & Africa )
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Novartis AG
- Halcyon Biomedical Incorporated
- Silver Lake Research Corporation
- Quest Diagnostics
- Emmaus Medical Inc.
- Medunik USA Inc.
- STRECK INC.
- Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- Agios Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Daktari Diagnostics
- Biomedomics Inc.
- Laboratory Corporation of America
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options