The global PVDF Membrane Market is valued at USD 613.6 Million in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 1086.1 Million by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 8.5% over the forecast period.
PVDF membranes are made of high-quality polyvinylidene difluoride and provide higher binding capacity for proteins and nucleic acids for western, southern, and northern blotting methods. The global PVDF membrane market is expected to be driven primarily by driving factors such as rising wastewater treatment activities and the rising number of stricter emission and water treatment regulations. For controlling the level of pollution, various emission control acts are being reinforced in most countries across the world to dispose of wastes to lower emissions and protect the environment. For instance, countries like the US, the UK, Canada, and Australia are updating their emission standards to reduce pollution levels. These are expected to widen the global PVDF membrane market growth during the forecast period.
Rising demand for treating water within emerging economies such as China, India, Indonesia, and Australia is increasing. According to CABI, a member of the Association of International Research and Development Centers for Agriculture (AIRCA), APAC alone consumes around 2.9 trillion cubic liters of water daily. The growing population is one of the major drivers for the increasing demand for drinking clean water. This is expected to augment the growth of the global PVDF membrane market. Additionally, filtration is extensively utilized in various end-use industries such as power, food and beverage, chemical, petrochemical, and other end-use industries. This is expected to increase the global PVDF membrane market's footprint significantly.
During the pandemic, various facilities, such as wastewater treatment facilities and chemical processing units, were used at an incremental pace as most of the population was forced to stay home to curb the spread of the virus. PVDF membranes are also used for filtration purposes within the pharmaceutical industry. Since drug making and vaccine development were in full swing during the pandemic. This propelled the growth of the global PVDF membrane market towards a more significant margin. PVDF membranes provide clarification and sterilization of protein-containing solutions. As the demand for various medicines grew during the pandemic, PVDF membranes' utilization grew considerably. Additionally, these membranes contain low protein binding properties and minimal interaction with the sample components.
PVDF Membrane Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Million)
The global economic graph indicated some of the worst plunges from 2021 to 2022. However, the proactiveness indicated by various governments through stimulus and aggressive vaccination allowed for most nations and countries on a global scale to tidy over the worst and witnessed rekindled growth going forward. The ongoing conflict between Russia and Ukraine is expected to worsen as the current year precedes. Wars are complex and often lead to a breakdown of society, infrastructure damage, and global economic impact, irrespective of the origin. Although it is too soon to declare the consequences of the wake of disruption, many healthcare sectors are expected to take a huge hit. From medical supply chain disruptions to understaffed hospitals, the war in Ukraine and Russia is expected to plunge through darker times ahead.
Top Market Trends
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Competitive benchmarking
- Historical data & forecasts
- Company revenue shares
- Regional opportunities
- Latest trends & dynamics
- Power BI Report (Dashboard)
1. Growing Applications in the Biopharmaceutical Industry: PVDF membranes offer good resistance to acidic and organic solvents compared to nitrocellulose or nylon membranes, as they are often used for amino-terminal protein sequencing and other blotting applications. According to the Indian Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), the Indian biotechnology industry was valued at USD 64 billion in 2019 and was expected to reach USD 150 billion by 2025. This is expected to increase the footprint of the PVDF membrane market in India, propelling the market's growth in Asia Pacific.
2. Rising Demand for Piezoelectric Materials: The global PVDF membrane market is expected to increase due to the rising demand for piezoelectric materials. Piezoelectrical materials offer efficient filtration and are heavily utilized for cleaning water applications. They are also used in the biopharmaceutical industry for making purified drugs.
3. Increased Usability: PVDF membranes have a wide use of advantages. PVDF is a thermoplastic fluoropolymer and is highly non-reactive. Numerous alcohols, acids, chlorinated solvents, and aliphatic and aromatic organic molecules are chemically inserted. Additionally, they offer intrinsic fire resistance, a lower coefficient of friction, and a more comprehensive functionality across various temperatures and UV resistance. These properties make them highly usable in numerous applications, fuelling the global PVDF membrane market growth.
The global PVDF Membrane market can be categorized on the following: Type, Technology, Application, End-Use Industry, and Regions. Based on type, the market can be categorized into hydrophillic and hydrophobic. By technology, the market can be segmented across ultrafiltration, microfiltration, and nanofiltration. Based on application, the market can be split between general filtration, sample preparation, bead-based assays, and others. By end-use industry, the market can be fragmented across biopharmaceutical, industrial, food & beverage, and others. By Likewise, based on region, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Type
Hydrophilic to Account for Largest Market Share Owing to Good Chemical Resistance
The global PVDF membrane market is expected to be dominated by the hydrophilic segment in terms of revenue and growth during the forecast period. PVDF membrane has good chemical resistance, higher heat resistance, a lower coefficient of friction, and good fatigue resistance. They also offer higher porosity, higher particle retention, and convenient handling. These factors are expected to contribute widely to the segmental value. Additionally, hydrophilic PVDF membranes are finding extensive utilization involving exposure to aqueous solutions and gases. Hydrophobic PVDF membranes will grow with the fastest growing CAGR during the forecast period owing to rising filtration applications in food & beverages, chemical & petrochemical, and biopharmaceutical applications.
Based on Technology
Ultrafiltration to Account for Largest Market Share While Microfiltration to Grow with the Fastest Growing CAGR
Ultrafiltration is expected to dominate the global PVDF membrane market in terms of revenue and share during the forecast period. Ultrafiltration involves finely porous membranes for separating water and micro solutes from macromolecules and colloids. In ultrafiltration, the mechanism used to separate the solvent from the solute/colloidal particles is similar to that of reverse osmosis and nanofiltration, with various distinctions in pore sizes. These factors are expected to increase in footprint and add value to the segmental value. Microfiltration is likely to grow wit the fastest-growing CAGR during the forecast period owing to a cost-effective mode of operation.
Based on Application
General Filtration to Dominate Largest Market Share Owing to Superior Filtration Applications
The general filtration segment is expected to account for the largest market share during the forecast period in revenue and share. Available filtration is used extensively in various end-use industries such as biopharmaceutical, petrochemical, and food & beverage. Furthermore, they can sustain temperature periodically and possess good mechanical properties. Additionally, they have a higher filtration rate than their counterparts and are suitable for industrial applications. Also, general filtration is used in corrosive environments and often meets gasses, acids, and solvents. Sample preparation is expected to grow with the fastest growing CAGR during the forecast period owing to rising utilization in pharmaceutical and drug manufacturing applications.
Based on End-Use Industry
Biopharmaceutical to Account for the Largest Market Share Due to Rising Investments in R&D
The global PVDF membrane market is expected to dominate the biopharmaceutical industry during the forecast period. Factors such as increasing investments in biotechnology and the medical industry research and development departments are expected to add value to the segmental growth. PVDF membranes are used in various biopharmaceutical applications, including biological sample preparation, culture media, sterile vaccine filtration, and organic mobile phase filtration. They are also used to transfer membranes for protein blotting applications and can be used as a carrier media of biosensors. Due to rising filtration requirements, food and beverages are expected to grow with the fastest-growing CAGR during the forecast period.
Based on Region
Asia Pacific to Dominate Global Market Owing to Rising Number of Chemical & Pharmaceutical Industries
The global PVDF membrane market is expected to be dominated by the Asia Pacific market in terms of revenue and share during the forecast period. Factors such as the rising number of chemical and pharmaceutical manufacturing plants are expected to add value to the Asia Pacific PVDF membrane market. Additionally, rising awareness among the general population and industries towards treating wastewater is pushing the demand for the regional market to grow. The prominent players in manufacturing PVDF membranes are located in the region, including HYUNDAI MICRO CO. LTD, GVS SpA, CITIC Envirotech Ltd, and Synder Filtration Inc. A budding food and beverage sector in emerging economies such as India and Japan is propelling the regional market's growth.
North America is expected to grow with the fastest growing CAGR during the forecast period owing to rising utilization in wastewater treatment plants and a budding food and beverage sector. Additionally, the biopharmaceutical sector in the U.S. is extremely advanced and has the necessary infrastructure to support advanced technological progress. This will prove pivotal for the North American PVDF membrane market.
The global PVDF membrane market is expected to be highly competitive due to the numerous players in the industry. These market leaders are adopting various organic and inorganic growth strategies to increase their global presence. Additionally, these players focus on improving their production capabilities to cater to the ongoing demand. Also, market leaders are focused on growing heavily within their research and development departments to diversify their product portfolio.
The key players in the global PVDF Membrane market include - Veolia Water Technologies (France), Ecolab (U.S.), Kemira (Finland), General Electric (U.S.), BWA Water Additives UK Ltd. (U.K.), Genesis International Corporation Ltd. (India), H2O Innovation (Canada), Reverse Osmosis Chemicals International (U.K.), King Lee Technologies (U.S.), Sentech BV (U.A.E), Applied Membranes Inc. (U.S.), Acura Organics Limited (India), American Water Chemicals Inc. (U.S.), SUEZ (France), Accept (U.K.), Koch Separation Solutions (U.S.) among others.
Recent Market Developments:
· July 2020: Merck Millipore announced that they were investing USD 21.23 Million towards building a laboratory facility in Buchs, Switzerland, to support its rapidly growing material business. This investment will help to drive innovation and expand their R&D of analytical standards
· April 2020: Koch Separation Solutions announced that they were expanding the manufacturing capacity of its PURON-reinforced hollow fiber membrane technology by over 50%. This expansion is expected to help the company to serve businesses that utilize these technologies for wastewater treatment needs.
· January 2020: Cytiva has announced that they plan to build a new 7,360 square meter facility in Grens, Switzerland, to manufacture single-use kits. This facility will meet global regulatory requirements and is expected to be fully operational by the end of 2022.
Segmentation of the Global PVDF Membrane Market
- Type (Hydrophillic, Hydrophobic)
- Technology (Ultrafiltration, Microfiltration, Nanofiltration)
- Application (General Filtration, Sample Preparation, Bead-based Assays, Other Applications)
- End-Use Industry (Biopharmaceutical, Industrial, Food & Beverage, Other End-Use Industries)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Veolia Water Technologies (France)
- Ecolab (U.S.)
- Kemira (Finland)
- General Electric (U.S.)
- BWA Water Additives UK Ltd. (U.K.)
- Genesis International Corporation Ltd. (India)
- H2O Innovation (Canada)
- Reverse Osmosis Chemicals International (U.K.)
- King Lee Technologies (U.S.)
- Sentech BV (U.A.E)
- Applied Membranes Inc. (U.S.)
- Acura Organics Limited (India)
- American Water Chemicals Inc. (U.S.)
- SUEZ (France)
- Accept (U.K.)
- Koch Separation Solutions (U.S.)
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options