The global Polymethyl Methacrylate Market was valued at 2022 in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of 2030 by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 5.1% between 2023 and 2030.
Polymethyl Methacrylate is made by polymerizing the petroleum-derived monomer methyl methacrylate. It is a transparent, amorphous thermoplastic material that can be shaped and sized. Polymethyl Methacrylate (PMMA) comes in various grades, including general-purpose, optical, and impact modified. It is used in various products, including lighting, signs, displays, automotive parts, medical devices, and building materials. Polymethyl Methacrylate is a thermoplastic polymer widely used in various industries, including construction, automotive, electronics, and medicine. PMMA is a lightweight, transparent material with excellent optical properties, high impact resistance, and weather ability.
Polymethyl Methacrylate Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
Rapid increases in demand from end-use industries, growing awareness about sustainable materials, and technological advancements drive the global Polymethyl Methacrylate market. The construction sector is one of the most important end-use sectors for PMMA, owing to the rising demand for energy-efficient and environmentally friendly building materials. Due to the increasing demand for lightweight and fuel-efficient vehicles, the automotive industry is another important end-use sector for PMMA. Technological advancements are also propelling the Polymethyl Methacrylate market forward. The advancement of new processing technologies, such as 3D printing, broadens the range of PMMA applications. The ease of printing, higher transparency, and resistance to yellowing of Polymethyl Methacrylate make it a popular material for 3D printing.
The PMMA market is also confronted with some difficulties, such as fluctuating raw material prices, the accessibility of alternatives, and the COVID-19 pandemic's effects. Market fluctuations can affect the cost of the raw materials used to make PMMA, such as acrylic acid and methyl methacrylate monomer. The availability of alternatives like polycarbonate and polyethylene terephthalate (PET) may also impact Polymethyl Methacrylate demand. Moreover, recent developments in the PMMA market include new product launches, partnerships, and acquisitions. Evonik Industries AG introduced PLEXIGLAS HTD, a new line of PMMA molding compounds, in February 2021. These compounds are intended for use in high-temperature environments such as automotive and electronics.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
Various economic factors have recently impacted the global Polymethyl Methacrylate (PMMA) market. In terms of the current economic situation, the market is growing due to increased demands from various end-use industries such as automotive, construction, and electronics. The PMMA market is also subject to economic recessions, as it largely depends on the health of the end-use industries it serves. Demand for PMMA may fall during a recession due to decreased consumer spending and investment in construction and infrastructure projects. However, depending on the severity and duration of the economic downturn, the impact of a recession on the Polymethyl Methacrylate market may vary. Inflation can affect the global Polymethyl Methacrylate market by increasing the cost of raw materials and production. Inflation may raise production costs, reducing manufacturers' profit margins and raising the price of PMMA products. Moreover, compared to other high-performance plastics, PMMA is a relatively low-cost material, which may help mitigate the impact of inflation.
Top Market Trends
1. Growing Demands from the Construction Sector: The construction industry extensively uses Polymethyl Methacrylate (PMMA), particularly in the window, roofing, and skylight applications. PMMA demand in the construction industry is expected to be driven by rising construction activity in emerging economies and rising demand for sustainable and energy-efficient building materials. The use of Polymethyl Methacrylate in the construction sector has grown due to technological advances and rising construction costs for workplaces, industries, and manufacturing facilities. The demand for methacrylate began in the automobile industry due to the rising demand for modernized vehicles and the need to keep car weight low to improve quality.
2. Increasing demand from the Automotive Industry: PMMA is commonly used for headlight lenses, taillights, and interior trim in the automotive sector. The emerging demand for lightweight and fuel-efficient vehicles and the trend of using LED lighting in automobiles are expected to drive Polymethyl Methacrylate demand in the automotive sector. Government initiatives to remove fossil fuel use encourage designers to consider new possibilities. This is expected to result in the electric vehicle market growing and gaining momentum alongside the automotive industry in the future, particularly in China and Europe. The increased use of EVs, combined with a growing preference for personal mobility, is one of the main factors propelling the mobile industry. PMMA is preferred over conventional polymers and other substances due to its high-performance qualities. It is also a very light material.
3. Emerging Global Need for Bio-based Polymethyl Methacrylate: Concerns about the environmental impact of plastics have prompted the development of bio-based PMMA, made from renewable resources such as vegetable oils and waste cooking oil. The demand for bio-based PMMA is expected to rise due to its lower environmental impact and sustainability benefits. The increasing emphasis on sustainability and the circular economy drives demand for recycled PMMA. The development of new recycling technologies and increased consumer and industry awareness are expected to increase demand for recycled PMMA in the coming years.
The global Polymethyl Methacrylate market can be categorized as Form, Grade, End-use Industry, and Region. Based on Form, the market can be categorized into Extruded, Cast Acrylic Sheets, Pellets, Beads, and Others. Moreover, based on the Grade, the market can be split into General Purpose and Optical Grades. Furthermore, based on the End-Use Industry, the market can be divided into Signs & Displays, Construction, Automotive, Lighting Fixtures, Electronics, Marine, Healthcare, Agriculture, Consumer Goods, and Others. Likewise, based on Region, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Form
Extruded sheet forms to Lead with the Largest Market Share attributed to the Low Cost, Large End-Use Applications, and Easy Availability
The extruded sheet segment will dominate the Polymethyl Methacrylate market over the forecasted period. Extruded sheets provide optical purity, weather resistance, a lustrous finish, ease of manufacture, and other advantages. Besides, extruded sheets are less expensive than other forms. The majority of the market is made up of extruded sheets. Due to their superior width flexibility, such sheets are ideal for situations requiring complicated forms. Extruded sheets are also cost-effective as they are manufactured using low-cost methods. Extruded sheets have become popular recently due to their high tensile strength and lightweight. Over the forecast period, the cast acrylic forms segment is expected to grow at the second-fastest market CAGR. This can be attributed to increased highway and motorway developments, fueling demand for cast acrylic signboards and displays. Moreover, the growth of the real estate sector is driving demand for cast acrylic bullet-resistant windows. Cast acrylic Polymethyl Methacrylate has several advantages over traditional glass, including higher impact resistance, lower weight, and ease of fabrication, making it a preferred material for many applications.
Based on the Grade
General Purpose Grade to Account for the Largest Market Share owing to its Cost-Effectiveness and Versatility
During the forecast period, the general-purpose grade segment will dominate the global Polymethyl Methacrylate market due to the increasing demands for this grade in various sectors like signboards & displays, real estate, automobile, and healthcare. The general-purpose grade of Polymethyl Methacrylate resin has many properties and can be used in various applications. Its high transparency, weather ability, and impact resistance distinguish it. A general-purpose grade is a low-cost option widely used in various end-use applications such as signage, lighting, automotive parts, and building materials. It is mass-produced and widely available from a variety of manufacturers worldwide. The growth of various end-use industries and the rising demand for sustainable and environmentally friendly materials are expected to drive up demand for this general-purpose grade. The optical grade segment will grow with the fastest-growing CAGR during the forecast period. The optical grade is a specialized Polymethyl Methacrylate resin with superior optical properties. The high clarity, transparency, and light transmission of optical-grade Polymethyl Methacrylate make it an excellent choice for applications requiring excellent optical performance. The growing demand for high-performance optical materials in various applications is expected to drive up future demand for optical-grade Polymethyl Methacrylate. Technological advancements in the coming years, particularly in display screens, lighting, and virtual reality, are expected to drive demand for optical-grade Polymethyl Methacrylate.
Based on End-Use Industry
Signs & Displays Segment Accounts for the Largest Market Share owing to its High Transparency, Excellent Weatherability, and Ease Of Fabrication
Throughout the forecast period, the signs & displays segment will dominate the global Polymethyl Methacrylate market. Polymethyl Methacrylate is used in various applications in the Signs & Displays segment, including illuminated signs, point-of-purchase displays, trade show exhibits, and digital signage. These applications necessitate materials with high optical performance, durability, and color stability. Because of its high transparency and ability to transmit light, Polymethyl Methacrylate is commonly used in illuminated signs and channel letters. Because of its ease of fabrication and ability to create unique shapes and designs, it is also used in point-of-purchase and trade show exhibits. The automotive end-use industry is expected to grow at the fastest CAGR during the forecasted period. This can be attributed to rising vehicle demand and increased use of Polymethyl Methacrylate in the automotive sector. Polymethyl Methacrylate is now used to make various automotive parts due to its lightweight and low cost. Moreover, Polymethyl Methacrylate (PMMA) has excellent light transmission properties and long service life. PMMA is gaining popularity in the automotive industry as a result of the qualities it possesses.
Based on Region
North America to Lead Global Market Revenue due to Increasing Regional Demands for Sustainable Materials
The global Polymethyl Methacrylate market is expected to be dominated by the region of North America in terms of growth and revenue. The region's dominant share can be attributed to the widespread use of Polymethyl Methacrylate cast acrylic sheets, extruded sheets, pellets, and beads in the real estate, construction, healthcare, signs & display, and furniture & design sectors. The region's demand for the Polymethyl Methacrylate market is also driven by the growing electronics industry, rising healthcare equipment demand, and rising automobile production. As per the International Organization of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers (OICA), vehicle production in the United States was 9.1 million units in 2021, a 4% increase over production in 2020. Various other market drivers drive the North American Polymethyl Methacrylate market, including increasing demand from end-use industries, technological advancements, and rising demand for sustainable materials. The automotive industry, driven by the demand for lightweight and fuel-efficient vehicles, is a significant driver of the regional PMMA market. PMMA is widely used in the automotive industry for various applications, including exterior and interior parts, lighting, and glazing.
The Asia Pacific region is the second largest and fastest-growing Polymethyl Methacrylate (PMMA) market, accounting for a sizable portion of the global PMMA market. Major markets such as China, Japan, India, South Korea, and Southeast Asian countries are represented in the region, as are major PMMA manufacturers and suppliers. Various factors drive the Asia Pacific PMMA market, including rising demand from end-use industries such as automotive, construction, electronics, and medical devices. The region is home to some of the world's largest automotive and electronics manufacturers, which drive PMMA product demand. The construction industry, driven by the demand for energy-efficient building materials, is also a significant driver of the PMMA market in the region.
The key players in the global Polymethyl Methacrylate market include - HCS Group GmbH (Germany), Dymatic Chemicals Inc. (China), Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LLC (U.S.), SK Geo Centric Co. Ltd. (Korea), LG Chem (U.S.), Maruzen Petrochemical (Japan), Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. (Japan), CHIME (U.S.), Asahi Kasei Corp. (Japan), SABIC (Saudi Arabia) among others.
Recent Market Developments
· December 2022: Coperian and Renov8 have agreed that Coperian will build a PMMA recycling system for Renov8 that will be implemented at KEZAD Polymers Park in Abu Dhabi, one of the region's most popular vertical integration polymer downstream manufacturing ecosystems.
· February 2022: Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. has announced the expansion of its global Polymethyl Methacrylate operations. Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. has decided to centralize relevant head office responsibilities in Singapore and renamed the subsidiary Mitsubishi Chemical Methacrylate, which will exclusively deal with PMMA-related issues.
· May 2021: Trinseo has acquired Arkema's Polymethyl Methacrylate (PMMA) business. The acquisition included adding PMMA and MMA products and technology to Trinseo.
Segmentation of the Global Polymethyl Methacrylate Market
- Form (Extruded Sheet, Cast Acrylic Sheet, Pellets, Beads, Other Forms)
- Grade (General Purpose Grade, Optical Grade)
- End-Use Industry (Signs & Displays, Construction, Automotive, Lighting Fixtures, Electronics, Marine, Healthcare, Agriculture, Consumer Goods, Other End-Use Industries)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- HCS Group GmbH (Germany)
- Dymatic Chemicals Inc. (China)
- Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LLC (U.S.)
- SK Geo Centric Co. Ltd. (Korea)
- LG Chem (U.S.)
- Maruzen Petrochemical (Japan)
- Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. (Japan)
- CHIME (U.S.)
- Asahi Kasei Corp. (Japan)
- SABIC (Saudi Arabia)
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options