Pharmaceutical Membrane Filtration Market: By Product Type, Material, Technique, Application, and Region
Global Pharmaceutical Membrane Filtration market is valued at USD 6.69 Billion in 2022 and is projected to attain a value of USD 16.00 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR of 11.50% during the forecast period, 2022–2028.
Pharmaceutical Membrane Filtration has become standard in the pharmaceutical industry and can be found in nearly every dosage form. Pharmaceutical liquid-solid separations are performed using membrane filters to remove solids from liquid suspensions containing particles that range from millimeters to nanometers. This includes removing contaminants from raw material solutions as well as clarifying product formulations prior to filling. The market is witnessing high demand for membrane filters in pharmaceutical as they can also be used downstream in a dosage form processing line, such as removal of particles during solid dose wet granulation preps or final tablet compression steps. Membrane filters can also replace several unit operations, such as freeze drying.
Pharmaceutical Membrane Filtration Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
Global Pharmaceutical Membrane Filtration market is segmented into, product type, material, technique, application, and region. Based on product type market is segmented into, filters, systems, and accessories. Based on technique market is segmented into, microfiltration, ultrafiltration, nanofiltration, reverse osmosis, ion exchange. Based on material market is segmented into, PES, PVDF, nylon, PTFE, MCE & CA, PCTE, other materials (polypropylene, regenerated cellulose, gelatin, and PVC). Based on application market is segmented into, final product processing, raw material filtration, cell separation, water purification, air purification.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
By Technique, Nanofiltration to Hold Market Dominance
Nanofiltration is a process of water purification. It has an advantage over reverse osmosis because it can separate particles of less than 1 nanometer in size by the process called molecular sieving. Nanofiltration or NF membranes are used commercially for pharmaceutical or food and beverage industry. In the pharmaceutical application, nanofiltration is used to separate the proteins, API, and other substances. Proteins like human serum albumin (HSA) and IgG are retained, while other low-molecular-weight molecules such as salts and sugars pass through the membrane. This process is done in order to make a clear solution for injection or cell culture media which needs no further filtration.
NF membranes allow transfer of pharmaceutical's active ingredients including antiviral drugs, antibiotics and antigens and also allows water permeability thus making it suitable for use in production of biopharmaceuticals. Pharmaceutical industry requires pure water that doesn't contain any organic or chlorine compounds to clean equipment that comes into contact with product during manufacturing process. NF membrane selectively removes impurities according to size, shape and charge of the molecule. Pharmaceutical applications include ultrafiltration (UF), microfiltration (MF) and NF in purification of water for drug processing; UF and MF membranes in recovering high-purity water from NF permeate stream; nanofiltration to produce hypo-osmolality water or hyper-osmolality water by adding sugars or salts.
By Application, API Filtration to Dominate Pharmaceutical Membrane Filtration Market
Membrane based pharmaceutical filtration is becoming very important for pharmaceutical industry. Nano filtration membrane has the ability to work efficiently at low pressure and with small quantity of sample or feed due to its thinness. It is efficient method for desalination of water and it has superior efficiency, low energy consumption, less maintenance cost, high productivity. Various techniques are available to sterilize the product. This is the most important step in API production.
Nanofiltration in API processing is being extensively adopted nowadays in API production. Nanofiltration can easily separate molecules based on their size and polarity in a mixture with water as solvent. It follows separation principle which follows that larger ions or molecule are not allowed to pass through it while smaller ones do so freely. So, nanofiltration membranes can be used to design ideal filters for API refining and desalination.
North America is the Key Contributor to the Pharmaceutical Membrane Filtration Market
The Pharmaceutical Membrane Filtration market in North America is driven by factors, such as increased focus on cost containment, growing demand for biologics and drugs, stringent government regulations related to treatment of cancer cells, improved manufacturing practices (GMP) compliance with the US Food & Drug Administration, high penetration of minimally invasive surgeries, increasing preference towards self-medication, technological advancements in key end-use industries are some of the factors that are anticipated to increase the industry growth over the forecast period. The industry players are also focusing on presenting novel products that depict an effective combination of efficiency and effectiveness.
The Pharmaceutical Membrane Filtration market in North America is expected to grow at a higher CAGR as compared to Asia Pacific and other regions due to the presence of established key players and technological advancements that aid productivity. The impact of innovative product launches, approvals and pipeline formulations by key players such as Pall Corporation (US), Sartorius Stedim Biotech (France), GE Healthcare Life Sciences (UK), Merck Millipore (Germany) and Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (US) has led to high growth for this market during the past few years. These companies focus on R&D activities for conducting clinical trials, which also helps them gain competitive advantage over others.
The Key Factors to Drive Pharmaceutical Membrane Filtration Market
1) Environmental and regulatory issues regarding waste water generation and disposal. Regulations demand strict standards on effluents treatment before they can be released in to the environment. This includes minimization of bio-degradation products which can contaminate groundwater, depletion of oxygen leading to eutrophication, leaching of toxic chemicals into surface water, among others. Pharmaceutical industry's love for sterile production processes is also a key driver for adoption of membrane filtration in place of chemical disinfection or heat sterilization.
2) Reduction in energy cost: Energy intensive steam distillation has been gradually replaced by membrane-based processes since it requires less energy in many cases. Also, use of energy recovery devices in membrane processes can increase energy efficiency leading to further cost savings.
3) Introduction of industry standards: The need for stricter industry standards that are consistently enforced has led the adoption of membrane filtration for better process control and compliance. This has led to increased demand for standardized products such as silica-based depth filters, spiral wound modules etc.
4) Addition of value through higher throughput rates using ultrafiltration membranes.
Danaher (US), Merck Millipore (Germany), Sartorius Stedim Biotech (France), Thermo Fisher Scientific (US), 3M Company (US), Repligen Corporation (US), Parker Hannifin (US), GEA Group (Germany), Koch Membrane Systems (US), Porvair Plc. (UK), Graver Technologies (US), Novasep (France), Amazon Filters Ltd. (UK), Synder Corporation (US), Donaldson Company (US), Alfa Laval (UK), Eaton Corporation (Ireland), Meissner Filtration Products (US), Sterlitech Corporation (US), and Simsii (US) are some of the key players in the market.
The Pharmaceutical Membrane Filtration is Segmented as Follows:
- Product (Filters, Systems, Accessories)
- Technique (Microfiltration, Ultrafiltration, Nanofiltration, Reverse Osmosis, Ion Exchange)
- Material (PES, PVDF, Nylon, PTFE, MCE & CA, PCTE, Other Materials(polypropylene)
- Application (Final Product Processing, API Filtration, Sterile Filtration, Protein Purification, Vaccine and Antibody Processing, Formulation and Filling Solutions, Viral Clearance, Raw Material Filtration, Media Buffers, Prefiltration, Bioburden Reduction, Cell Separation, Water Purification, Air Purification)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, Latin America)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Danaher (US)
- Merck Millipore (Germany)
- Sartorius Stedim Biotech (France)
- Thermo Fisher Scientific (US)
- 3M Company (US)
- Repligen Corporation (US)
- Parker Hannifin (US)
- GEA Group (Germany)
- Koch Membrane Systems (US)
- Porvair Plc. (UK)
- Graver Technologies (US)
- Novasep (France)
- Amazon Filters Ltd. (UK)
- Synder Corporation (US)
- Donaldson Company (US)
- Alfa Laval (UK)
- Eaton Corporation (Ireland)
- Meissner Filtration Products (US)
- Sterlitech Corporation (US)
- and Simsii (US).
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options