The global Home Infusion Therapy Market is valued at USD 33.3 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 58.9 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 8.50% between 2023 and 2030.
Patients are increasingly preferred to receive healthcare services at home due to its convenience and reduced risk of hospital-acquired infections. Home Infusion Therapy eliminates the need for frequent hospital visits, thereby improving patient satisfaction. The 21st Century Cures Act (also known as the Cures Act) was signed into law on December 13th, 2016. Section 5012 of this new bill created a new Medicare Home Infusion Therapy benefit and revised sections 1861(s)(2) & 1861(iii) of the Act. As of January 1st, 2022, the Medicare home infusion treatment benefit will cover professional services related to Home Infusion Therapy for some medicines and biologicals delivered intravenously or subcutaneously using a DME pump. Home Infusion Therapy is defined by Section 1861(iii)(2) of the Act as the professional services, including nursing services, provided under the plan, training, and education (not otherwise covered by the payment for DME), remote monitoring, and other services for the provision of Home Infusion Therapy provided by a certified Home Infusion Therapy supplier in the patient's home.
Home Infusion Therapy Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
- The COVID-19 pandemic accelerated the demand for Home Infusion Therapy. With healthcare systems overwhelmed and patients hesitant to visit hospitals or clinics due to the risk of exposure, Home Infusion Therapy has become a preferred option for many patients requiring regular infusions.
- The Infusion Pump Sets segment accounted for the major market growth. It contributed over 75.6% of the total revenue share in 2022, owing to the rising demand for home-based healthcare services and technological advancements.
- The Anti-infective Application experienced the most significant market growth in 2022 because of the increased rate of infectious diseases and the requirement for effective treatment options.
- In 2022, North America generated more than 52.30% of revenue share because of the increasing demand for home-based care and advances in technologies.
- Asia Pacific is predicted to upsurge during the forecast period, owing to the aging population base, growing prevalence of chronic diseases, advancements in healthcare technology, and the need for cost-effective healthcare solutions.
Specialty pharmacies owned by hospitals have increased their engagement, and approximately 40% of provider-owned pharmacies now hold accreditation. As patients decreased in-person hospital visits in the U.S., COVID-19 increased site-of-care transitions in value pools connected to infusions, increasing home infusion. Further driving volume shifts are payers' increasingly direct movement of infusion therapies from expensive hospital outpatient settings to less costly care places like home and ambulatory infusion centers.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
Top Market Trends
- Growing preference for home healthcare: Patients increasingly opt for home healthcare services for convenience and comfort. Home Infusion Therapy allows patients to receive treatment in a familiar environment, reducing the need for frequent hospital visits. This trend is expected to contribute to the growth of the global Home Infusion Therapy market.
- Technological advancements: The development of advanced infusion pumps and other medical devices has made Home Infusion Therapy safer and more efficient. These innovations have also expanded the range of conditions that can be treated through Home Infusion Therapy, further driving market growth.
- Growing geriatric population: The global population is aging rapidly, increasing the prevalence of age-related diseases and conditions. Home Infusion Therapy provides a viable option for older patients who may have difficulty traveling to healthcare facilities for regular treatment. The growing geriatric population is expected to be a major driver for market growth.
- Favorable reimbursement policies: Governments and healthcare providers are recognizing the benefits of Home Infusion Therapy in terms of patient satisfaction and cost savings. As a result, reimbursement policies for Home Infusion Therapy have become more favorable, encouraging greater adoption of this treatment option and driving market growth. For instance, Government health plans like TRICARE, Medicaid, and the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program even reimburse for Home Infusion Therapy. However, for Medicaid in a few states, the extent of coverage can have gaps.
- Rising awareness of the benefits of Home Infusion Therapy: As awareness about the benefits increases among patients and healthcare providers, the demand for these services is expected to rise. Home Infusion Therapy offers advantages such as reduced hospitalization costs, decreased risks of hospital-acquired infections, and improved patient comfort, likely to drive market growth.
- COVID-19 impact: The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted healthcare systems globally, causing a shift towards remote care and home-based treatments. Home Infusion Therapy has gained importance during the pandemic as it allows patients to receive necessary treatments while minimizing exposure to the virus. This trend is projected to drive market growth in the future.
The globel Home Infusion Therapy market can be categorized into Product, Applications, Region. The Market can be categorized into Infusion Pump Sets, Accessories and Consumables based on Product. The Market can be categorized into Parenteral Nutrition, Anti-infective, Enteral Nutrition, Hydration Therapy, Chemotherapy, Specialty Pharmaceuticals, Other Applications based on Applications. The Market can be categorized into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa based on Region.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Product
The Infusion Pump Sets Segment Dominates the Market
The infusion pump sets segment contributed 75.6% of market growth in 2022. This is due to the increasing prevalence of chronic diseases requiring long-term home treatment. Factors such as the aging population, high healthcare costs, and technological advancements drive the demand for Home Infusion Therapy. Infusion pump sets are essential for patients who require intravenous treatments such as chemotherapy, pain management, parenteral nutrition, and immunotherapy.
Based on Applications
Anti-infective Applications dominated the Market
In 2022, the anti-infective category accounted for a significant market. The rise in antibiotic-resistant infections has increased the demand for anti-infective medications in the Home Infusion Therapy market. These drugs help combat bacterial and fungal infections and can be administered in a controlled and convenient manner at home under the supervision of qualified healthcare professionals. Furthermore, technological advancements have made administering drugs intravenously at home easier, improving patient comfort and compliance. This has also reduced the burden on hospitals, as patients can receive the necessary treatment and monitoring in their homes.
Based on Region
North America Holds the Largest Market Growth
North America region dominated the global Home Infusion Therapy market in 2022. The market is driven by the convenience and cost-effectiveness of Home Infusion Therapy, as it reduces healthcare expenditures and improves patient outcomes. Key market players invest in technological advancements and grow their product portfolios to cater to the growing demand. Moreover, the market has growth prospects in the home healthcare segment owing to sufficient insurance coverage for home infusion. Several companies, such as Option Care Enterprises, CHI Health, etc., provide infusion therapy services in home healthcare settings, and the cost is also covered by insurance coverage.
The competitive landscape in the Home Infusion Therapy market is highly fragmented, with abundant players operating. This fragmentation is primarily due to the presence of numerous regional and local players in addition to some major global players. The market is characterized by intense competition, with companies constantly striving to gain a larger market share by offering innovative products and services.
The players in the global Home Infusion Therapy market include B. Braun Melsungen, Baxter International, Caesarea Medical Electronics Ltd., CareFusion, Fresenius Kabi, ICU Medical, JMS CO. LTD., Smiths Medical Inc., Terumo Corporation, Coram LLC, Option Care Enterprises Inc., BioScrip Inc., Optum Inc., Paragon Healthcare among others.
Recent Market Developments
- In June 2023: American healthcare company Baxter International revealed the Progressa+ Next Gen ICU bed to cater to patients’ urgent requirements while they are still at home. By enabling therapy at home, this technology makes it simpler for nurses to care for patients.
- In May 2023: Amedisys Inc., a renowned provider of home health services, and Option Care Health, a healthcare service provider, developed an independent platform for home care services. This platform brings together chemists, dieticians, therapists, social workers, and others to deliver top-notch healthcare at home.
- In May 2023: A deal between Premier, Inc., an American healthcare company, and Fresenius Kabi, a global healthcare provider, resulted in pricing and term benefits for the Ivenix Infusion System. With the help of this system, infusion pumps will become more dependable and easier to use.
Segmentation of the Global Home Infusion Therapy Market
- Product (Infusion Pump Sets, Accessories and Consumables)
- Applications (Parenteral Nutrition, Anti-infective, Enteral Nutrition, Hydration Therapy, Chemotherapy, Specialty Pharmaceuticals, Other Applications)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- B. Braun Melsungen
- Baxter International
- Caesarea Medical Electronics Ltd.
- Fresenius Kabi
- ICU Medical
- JMS CO. LTD.
- Smiths Medical Inc.
- Terumo Corporation
- Coram LLC
- Option Care Enterprises Inc.
- BioScrip Inc.
- Optum Inc.
- Paragon Healthcare
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options