The global Gene Editing Market is valued at USD 5.1 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 16.2 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 15.6% between 2023 and 2030.
The strategies and procedures used to modify the genetic information of any living organism are referred to as genomic editing. The alteration of genes in numerous sites utilizing recombinant technology increases insertion precision and reduces cell toxicity. It is a set of technologies that enable scientists to modify an organism's DNA. These technologies allow for the addition, deletion, or modification of genetic information at particular sites within the genome. Several methods for genome editing have been developed. The CRISPR-Cas9 Gene Editing system is well-known. The CRISPR-Cas9 method is more accurate, quicker, and efficient than other genome-editing tools. The CRISPR-Cas9 Gene Editing technique was derived from a naturally existing bacterial immune defense system. When bacteria become infected with viruses, they capture little fragments of the viruses' DNA and insert them in a precise manner into their DNA to produce CRISPR arrays. CRISPR arrays allow bacteria to "remember" viruses (or viruses that are closely related to them). If the viruses resurface, the RNA segment generates bacteria using CRISPR arrays that detect and bind to specific sections of the viruses' DNA. Cas9, or a related enzyme, is subsequently used by the bacteria to break the virus's DNA, rendering it useless.
Gene Editing Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
- Growing demand for synthetic genes and increased use of CRISPR genome editing technology in numerous technological industries is growing Gene Editing market.
- The CRISPER sector will continue to demonstrate its technological superiority, garnering the biggest market share globally from 2023 to 2030.
- North America demonstrated its market power in 2022, attaining the greatest revenue share of 40.90%.
- The Asia Pacific area is primed for exceptional growth, with a significant Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) between 2023 and 2030.
Top Market Trends
- Ongoing technological breakthroughs greatly influence the market's potential to earn revenues in Gene Editing technology. Retron Library Recombineering (RLR), for example, was developed by scientists at Harvard's Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering in April 2022. This new Gene Editing tool allowed scientists to execute millions of genetic tests simultaneously, increasing editing rates.
- The market is expanding due to favorable government policies pertaining to synthetic biology, rising demand for altered genes and cells, and increasing funding from government agencies and large corporations.
- Another notable improvement in gene therapy and molecular biology that has helped the market's growth is the development and implementation of numerous unconventional Gene Editing technologies for editing purposes.
- Furthermore, the availability of user-friendly gene therapy systems, the improvement of genome engineering, and the potential for gene therapy to permit rapid genome-wide assessments of gene function are all driving market expansion during the projection period.
- Antiviral applications for treating incurable diseases such as herpes, HIV, and hepatitis B are driving market expansion. Biotechnology, mutation and agriculture, and pharmaceuticals are also among the more significant applications. Furthermore, the expansion of the cell and gene therapy areas, as well as the CRISPR Gene Editing scope in agriculture, is one of the market growth opportunity factors. Moreover, throughout the projection period, the development of novel medications and the detection and management of human genetic illnesses drive market expansion.
- Future advancements in genomic engineering include its use in marine engineering, such as the production of nutraceuticals from algae. Furthermore, forensic sciences and tailored medicine are new application areas. NGS can be used for DNA barcoding to identify fish larvae and eggs during fish population evaluations, as well as a thorough description of fish communities. The global demand for genome editing technologies is expected to rise throughout the forecast period as a result of the rising uses of genomics.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
During this COVID-19 pandemic, market companies are attempting to provide reagents to doctors and researchers aiming to understand COVID-19 and create therapies. Because they provide a complete insight into how the virus infected people, how the immune system is activated, which immune cells react to infections, and various other features of the disease and prospective therapeutics, genomic products are an important tool for infectious disease research. Genomic data is critical for developing testing and discovering medications and vaccinations. It is also critical to determine whether or not the virus has mutated. During the COVID-19 pandemic, all of these genomics-related applications will fuel market growth.
Gene Editing The global Gene Editing market can be categorized into Product & Service, Technology, Application, End User, Region. The Gene Editing market can be categorized into Reagents & Consumables, Software & Systems, Services based on Product & Service. The Gene Editing market can be categorized into CRISPER, TALEN, ZFN, ANTISENE, Other Technologies based on Technology. The Gene Editing market can be categorized into Cell Line Engineering, Genetic Engineering, Drug Discovery & Development, Other Applications based on Application. The Gene Editing market can be categorized into Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies, Academic & Research Institutes, Other End Users based on End User. The Gene Editing market can be categorized into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa based on Region.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on technology
CRISPER to Lead Maximum Market Share Due to the Increasing Illnesses Such As Cancer and Infection With Hepatitis B
In 2022, the CRISPER segment is poised to dominate the global market for Gene Editing. In regards to speed, cost, precision, and efficiency, CRISPR/Cas9 exceeds alternative genome editing technologies. CRISPR-Cas9 has the potential to treat hereditary illnesses such as cancer, infection with hepatitis B, as well as high cholesterol. The method's uses are being researched by a variety of industries, ranging from agriculture to human health. The idea of acquiring human organs from transgenic pigs is also being researched, maybe together with pluripotent stem cells. These projects seek to address the scarcity of suitable organs for transplantation as well as the hazards related to the transplantation of organs, such as graft-versus-host disease. Furthermore, researchers can establish which genes are involved in disease pathogenesis and which genes are suitable candidates for therapy in disease cell lines by doing several gene knockouts in a healthy cell line.
Based on Application
Cell Line Engineering Segment Expects Dominion Owing to the Growing Technology Advancement
In 2022, the Cell Line Engineering segment will dominate the Gene Editing market. This technology combines DNA and cell technology when used for cell lines. The release of genomic sequences from a variety of Chinese Hamster Ovary (CHO) cell lines has advanced the rational genetic engineering of biotherapeutic proteins. Researchers working with CHO have clarified the molecular underpinnings of high-level protein synthesis and important Product Quality Attributes (PQAs) thanks to CRISPR technology. Modifying the glycosylation patterns of biological products can improve their bioactivity and quality, and N-linked glycosylation is critical to the efficacy of therapeutic proteins. Furthermore, many glycoengineered proteins have shown therapeutic usefulness, prompting the creation of new, improved expression platforms (such as those using mammalian cells) for the synthesis of non-fucosylated antibodies.
Based on Region
North America To Dominate Global Sales Owing to Region's Greater Acceptance Of Modern Procedures
In 2022, the North American region emerged as the dominant player in the Gene Editing market because of the region's greater acceptance of modern procedures. Furthermore, the rising prevalence of chronic diseases leads to revenue development in this region. The United States market has the highest revenue share due to increased financing for Gene Editing research. Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated and CRISPR Therapeutics, for example, amended their collaboration agreement for CTX001, an investigational CRISPR/Cas9-based Gene Editing therapy being developed as a possibly curative therapy for Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) and Transfusion-Dependent Beta-Thalassemia (TDT). Vertex will cover 60% of program expenses, and the company will benefit from 60% of possible worldwide sales of CTX001. A further USD 900 million is being paid immediately to CRISPR, with an additional USD 200 million potentially available. As a result, the factors above are projected to boost market growth in the near future.
The Gene Editing industry in Asia Pacific is rapidly growing in popularity. Japan's market accounted for the greatest revenue share due to considerable research on Gene Editing technologies. Sanatech Seed introduced Japan's first genome-edited tomato for direct consumption in 2021. The Japanese government has ruled that genome-edited tomatoes would not be regulated as genetically modified items. The high GABA tomato Sicilian Pink Sanatech Seed was developed utilizing CRISPR-Cas9 Gene Editing. Tomatoes are abundant in Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA), an amino acid that induces relaxation and helps to decrease blood pressure. The International Seed Federation backed Japan's declaration of the release of a genome-edited tomato with a high GABA concentration. This is a key step in the application of Japanese policy on genome editing, and it provides an opportunity for the seed sector to continue its research in this area.
The global Gene Editing market is highly competitive, with various key players operating in the industry. Some of the major companies in the market include. Lonza Group Ltd. (Switzerland), Perkinelmer Inc. (U.S.), CRISPR Therapeutics AG (Switzerland), Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (U.S.), and Eurofins Scientific (Luxembourg). These businesses concentrate on research and development in order to create innovative and sustainable products. Furthermore, cooperation agreements, mergers, and acquisitions are common in the industry as organizations seek to extend their line of goods and market presence.
The key players in the global Gene Editing market include - Lonza Group Ltd. (Switzerland), Perkinelmer Inc. (U.S.), CRISPR Therapeutics AG (Switzerland), Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (U.S.), Eurofins Scientific (Luxembourg), Aglient Technologies Inc. (U.S.), Danaher Corporation (U.S.), Genscript Biotech Corporation (U.S.), Merck KGAA (Germany), Editas Medicine Inc. (U.S.) among others.
Recent Market Developments
- In February 2022, Alt-R HDR Donor Blocks from Integrated DNA Technologies are an improved method for boosting repair directed by homology (HDR) rates. Alt-R HDR Donor Blocks are the latest addition to IDT's Alt-R CRISPR genome editing products line.
- In February 2022, Intellia Therapeutics, Inc. and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc. published good interim findings from their current Phase I clinical research of NTLA-2001 (Investigational CRISPR Therapy For Transthyretin (Attr) Amyloidosis).
- In May 2023, New Biologix SA emerged from the shadows as a technology innovation firm developing a novel and ground-breaking platform for the sophisticated generation of cell lines used to create genes and cell therapies. The company's DNA-based technology is designed to address severe manufacturing challenges by using recombinant adeno-associated viral vectors to develop advanced therapy medical products (ATMPs).
Segmentation of the Global Gene Editing Market
By Product & Service
- Reagents & Consumables
- Software & Systems
- Other Technologies
- Cell Line Engineering
- Genetic Engineering
- Drug Discovery & Development
- Other Applications
By End User
- Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies
- Academic & Research Institutes
- Other End Users
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Lonza Group Ltd. (Switzerland)
- Perkinelmer Inc. (U.S.)
- CRISPR Therapeutics AG (Switzerland)
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (U.S.)
- Eurofins Scientific (Luxembourg)
- Aglient Technologies Inc. (U.S.)
- Danaher Corporation (U.S.)
- Genscript Biotech Corporation (U.S.)
- Merck KGAA (Germany)
- Editas Medicine Inc. (U.S.)
|Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
|Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options