The global Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) Market is valued at USD 46.2 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 73.2 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 6.8% between 2023 and 2030.
Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) (EOR) is a set of techniques to increase the amount of crude oil that can be extracted from an oil reservoir. EOR methods are typically used when traditional oil recovery methods have been exhausted or when oil extraction costs are high. EOR can involve injecting various substances into the reservoir, such as steam, carbon dioxide, or chemicals, to change the characteristics of the oil and make it easier to extract. EOR techniques have the potential to significantly increase the amount of oil that can be recovered from a reservoir, making it an essential tool in oil exploration and production. The main factors driving the growth of the global EOR market include increasing demand for crude oil, declining oil production from conventional reserves, and the need to increase recovery rates from existing oil fields. Additionally, technological advancements in EOR techniques, favorable government policies, and the availability of mature oil fields in several countries are expected to contribute to the market's growth.
Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
The global Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) (EOR) market is expected to experience a decline due to the COVID-19 outbreak. The pandemic has significantly decreased demand for crude oil due to reduced economic activity and travel restrictions, leading to oil prices falling. As a result, oil and gas companies are expected to cut back on investments, including in EOR projects, which use advanced technologies to increase the amount of oil extracted from reservoirs. However, the long-term outlook for the EOR market remains positive as companies seek to explore new technologies and methods to increase production and optimize recovery. Additionally, government incentives and policy support for EOR projects may bolster the market, particularly as countries aim to address energy security concerns and transition to cleaner energy sources.
As oil producers look to maximize their output, they invest heavily in new EOR technologies that allow them to recover oil more efficiently and cost-effectively. This includes methods like thermal EOR, chemical EOR, and gas injection EOR. Finally, favorable government regulations and incentives drive growth in the global EOR market. Many countries have implemented policies to encourage the adoption of EOR techniques, including tax incentives, subsidies, and funding programs. These policies are helping to spur investment in EOR technology and drive growth in the industry.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Real-Time Data Updates:
- Competitor Benchmarking
- Market Trends Heatmap
- Custom Research Queries
- Market Sentiment Analysis
- Demographic and Geographic Insights
The Russia-Ukraine conflict has significantly impacted the global Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) (EOR) market. The region, a major oil producer, has faced supply chain disruptions, political instability, and economic sanctions that have resulted in decreased oil production and exploration. This has impacted the demand for EOR services and products as companies struggle to operate in a volatile environment. However, there are increasing efforts to stabilize the situation and restore normalcy to the market.
Top Market Trends
- Increasing Investments in EOR Projects: The global EOR market is expected to grow significantly in the coming years, driven by increasing investments in EOR projects by oil and gas companies to extract hard-to-reach oil reserves. The depletion of conventional oil reserves and the growing energy demand have led to a significant rise in adopting EOR techniques. Technological advancements have made EOR techniques more efficient, cost-effective, and easier to deploy. The increasing number of mature oil fields also fuels the demand for EOR techniques as more than conventional methods is needed. EOR technologies such as steam injection, gas injection, and chemical injection are used to enhance oil recovery rates. Furthermore, supportive government initiatives, favorable regulatory frameworks, and tax incentives for EOR projects are facilitating market growth. The Asia-Pacific region is expected to emerge as a lucrative market for EOR owing to the increasing demand for energy and depleting conventional oil reserves.
- Advancements in Hydraulic Fracturing to Augment Growth: Hydraulic fracturing is a well-established method of EOR that has seen advancements in recent years. The technology involves injecting fluids at high pressure into the oil reservoir to create fractures in the rock formation, which helps release trapped oil and gas. This process has been enhanced by developing sustainable and eco-friendly fluids that are non-toxic and environmentally friendly. Moreover, using 3D mapping and modeling software has enabled oil and gas companies to optimize the location and intensity of hydraulic fracturing. The advancements in hydraulic fracturing have resulted in increased oil and gas production, reduced costs, and increased efficiency in extraction processes. Additionally, it provides an opportunity to extract oil from difficult-to-reach reservoirs, previously considered uneconomical to explore.
The global Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) market can be categorized into Technology, Application, and Region. Based on Technology, the market can be categorized into Thermal, CO2 Injection, Chemical, and Other Technologies. Additionally, based on Application, the market can be split further between Onshore Fields and Offshore Fields. Likewise, based on Region, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Technology
Thermal EOR Category to Accommodate Maximum Market Share Due to the high success rate of the Technology
In 2022, thermal EOR dominated the market. The thermal category of Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) (EOR) involves the application of heat to a reservoir to reduce the viscosity of crude oil, making it easier to extract. This can be accomplished through various techniques, including steam flooding, in which steam is injected into the reservoir, and in situ combustion, in which oxygen or air is injected to ignite the oil and create a combustion process that heats the surrounding pool. Thermal EOR methods have high initial capital costs but the potential to increase oil recovery rates by 30-60%. The Asia-Pacific region is expected to witness significant growth in the thermal EOR market due to increased heavy oil production in countries like China and Indonesia.
Based on Application
Onshore Fields to Express Dominion owing to the Large Number of Mature Onshore fields that Require EOR technologies for Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR)
Between 2023 and 2030, the onshore fields are anticipated to grow fastest. The EOR techniques are used to increase the amount of oil that can be extracted from these reservoirs, where conventional methods still need to remove all the oil. Onshore fields are typically shallower and easier to access than offshore fields, making them more cost-effective for implementing EOR technologies. The EOR technologies used in onshore fields include thermal methods such as steam injection, chemical methods such as polymer flooding, and gas injection methods such as CO2 and nitrogen flooding. The global EOR market in onshore fields is expected to grow significantly in the coming years as conventional oil reserves decline and the oil demand continues to rise.
Based on Region
North America to Lead Global Sales Owing to Growing Demand for Oil in the Region
North America is currently the largest market for EOR, accounting for a significant share of the global market. North America is a major oil and gas producer, and the growing demand for oil in the region drives the need for EOR. The United States is the largest consumer of oil in the world, and the country's growing population and industrialization have led to an increase in demand for oil. Furthermore, the shale revolution in the United States has increased oil and gas production, creating a growing demand for EOR. Technological advancements in EOR techniques, such as CO2 flooding and thermal EOR, are expected to drive the growth of the EOR market in North America. Companies operating in the region are investing in EOR technologies to improve oil recovery rates from existing wells and maximize production efficiency.
However, the Asia Pacific region is expected to witness the highest growth rate in the EOR market during the forecast period. Growing oil demand in countries such as China and India, coupled with increasing investments in EOR technologies, is expected to drive market growth in the region. In conclusion, while North America is currently the largest market for EOR, the Asia Pacific region is expected to increase significantly in the coming years, driven by rising oil demand and investments in EOR technologies.
The global Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) (EOR) market is highly competitive, with many players operating. Some of the key players in the market include BP PLC, Chevron Corporation, Exxon Mobil Corporation, Royal Dutch Shell PLC, and Total S.A., among others. These players implement business strategies such as mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, partnerships, and collaborations to grow their market share. They also invest heavily in research and development to invent new technologies and improve existing ones to enhance oil recovery and optimize production. The market is expected to remain highly competitive during the forecast period.
The key players in the global Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) market include - Exxon Mobil Corporation (U.S.), BP PLC (UK), China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation (China), Total SA (France), Royal Dutch Shell PLC (UK), Chevron Corporation (U.S.), Petroleo Brasileiro SA (Brazil), LUKOIL (Russia), Cenovus Energy Inc. (Canada), Equinor ASA (Norway) among others.
Recent Market Developments
- July 2022: Sinopec launched China's most significant carbon capture, storage, and utilization (CCUS) project. The scheme involves sending carbon dioxide captured at a petrochemical refinery to the Shengli oilfield, which will be reinjected as part of the field's Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) program.
- August 2021: J-Power and Schlumberger planned to jointly study the possibility of producing CO2-free hydrogen using coal gasification technology. The carbon dioxide from the process will be used for Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) (EOR).
- October 2021: LUKOIL and Gazprom Neft agreed on cooperation to implement oil recovery enhancement projects. The agreement provides joint work on improving chemical methods of Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR).
Segmentation of the Global Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) Market
- Technology (Thermal, Chemical, CO2 Injection, Other Technologies)
- Application (Onshore Field, Offshore Field)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- Exxon Mobil Corporation (U.S.)
- BP PLC (UK)
- China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation (China)
- Total SA (France)
- Royal Dutch Shell PLC (UK)
- Chevron Corporation (U.S.)
- Petroleo Brasileiro SA (Brazil)
- LUKOIL (Russia)
- Cenovus Energy Inc. (Canada)
- Equinor ASA (Norway)
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options