The global Cell Dissociation Market is valued at USD 0.4 Billion in 2022 and is projected to reach a value of USD 1.4 Billion by 2030 at a CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) of 18.2% between 2023 and 2030.
Cell dissociation is a crucial process in cell culture techniques that involves separating cells from tissue or cell aggregates. It is essential for numerous applications, including stem cell research, drug discovery, and regenerative medicine. Cell dissociation techniques generally strive for high cell viability and post-dissociation functionality maintenance. The success rates for common cell dissociation techniques, like enzymatic digestion, typically range from 70% to 90%, meaning that roughly 70% to 90% of the cells remain viable and functional after dissociation. However, the complexity and sensitivity of dissociated cells or tissues can change this. TheCell Dissociation market has witnessed significant growth in recent years due to the increasing demand for advanced cell-based therapies and the rising prevalence of chronic diseases that require cell-based treatments. For example, hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) treats various blood disorders and cancers. In this therapy, hematopoietic stem cells, which are responsible for producing blood cells, are derived from either the patient's bone marrow or a donor's bone marrow or blood. These stem cells are then infused into the patient's bloodstream, where they can differentiate and replace the damaged or cancerous cells with healthy blood cells. HSCT is commonly used to treat leukemia, lymphoma, and certain genetic disorders like sickle cell disease and thalassemia.
Cell Dissociation Market Size, 2022 To 2030 (USD Billion)
One of the key advancements in cell dissociation techniques is the use of enzymes such as trypsin, collagenase, and dispase, which play a vital role in breaking down the extracellular matrix and releasing cells. Trypsin, for instance, is widely used in dissociating adherent cells from the tissue culture dish by cleaving the cell surface proteins. Collagenase is commonly employed to break down collagen, a vital component of the extracellular matrix in tissues like cartilage and skin, facilitating the isolation of cells. Dispsase is another enzyme that dissociates cells by disrupting the cell-cell and cell-matrix interactions. Moreover, technological advancements have led to the development of innovative cell dissociation techniques, such as magnetic-activated cell sorting (MACS) and fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS). MACS utilizes magnetic nanoparticles conjugated to specific antibodies, enabling the isolation of target cells by applying a magnetic field. FACS, on the other hand, uses antibodies tagged with fluorescent dyes to selectively sort cells based on their surface markers or intracellular characteristics.
- The enzymatic dissociation segment dominated the global market in 2022 and accounted for the maximum share of more than 48% of the overall revenue.
- The pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies’ dominated the market in 2022 and accounted for the maximum share of more than 72.23%. The demand for cell dissociation technologies has grown in response to the rising demand for cell therapy. The study and development of cell treatment using cell dissociation technology have also helped the market expand.
- North America dominated the global market in 2022 and accounted for the maximum share of more than 38% of the overall revenue.
- The tissue dissociation type segment dominated the global market in 2022 and accounted for the maximum share of 55% of the overall revenue.
Top Market Trends
- Due to the rising incidence of chronic diseases, the market for regenerative medicine has shown phenomenal growth in recent years. Cell therapy, which involves transplanting cells to treat or prevent diseases, is one of the main factors boosting the market for regenerative medicine.
- Cell dissociation is no exception to how automation has become a crucial component of the healthcare sector. The automation of cell dissociation has various advantages, including higher accuracy, decreased processing time, and improved productivity. The widespread usage of automated cell dissociation devices has resulted from removing the necessity for labor- and time-intensive manual dissociation techniques. Automation also provides consistency in the dissociation process and lowers the possibility of contamination. In the upcoming years, automation in cell dissociation adoption is anticipated to increase due to the rising demand for faster and more dependable cell dissociation techniques.
- New technologies are being integrated into cell dissociation processes to increase their effectiveness and efficiency. One such advancement is using microfluidic-based systems, where cells are exposed to regulated fluid flows to achieve gentle and reliable dissociation. These systems offer improved cell surface marker preservation and precise control over dissociation parameters. For instance, using microfluidic tools like the FluidFM to isolate and manipulate individual cells enables researchers to study uncommon cell populations.
- Researchers increasingly seek label-free and non-destructive cell dissociation methods to minimize interference with downstream applications and preserve cell viability. Due to their non-invasive nature, methods like mechanical dissociation using mild shear forces or acoustic-based dissociation are gaining popularity. As an illustration, acoustic-based cell dissociation systems, like the CliniMACS Plus system, use ultrasonic waves instead of labels or enzymes to gently and effectively separate cells.
Report Coverage & Deliverables
- Competitive benchmarking
- Historical data & forecasts
- Company revenue shares
- Regional opportunities
- Latest trends & dynamics
- Power BI Report (Dashboard)
Numerous factors significantly impact theCell Dissociation market. As the main consumers in this market, healthcare facilities and research organizations' general financial standing is one of the most important factors. Government support for research and development is also essential to the market's expansion. Expanding the market can be fueled by increased funding for regenerative medicine and stem cell research, which could improve cell dissociation methods. Additionally, the price of manufacturing, distribution, and raw materials impacts this market's economic condition. Furthermore, the price of manufacturing, distribution, and raw materials impacts this market's economic climate. Variations in these costs may impact how cell dissociation industry companies set their prices.
The global Cell Dissociation market can be categorized on the following
The globel Cell Dissociation market can be categorized into Product, Tissue Type, End User, Region. The Market can be categorized into Enzymatic Dissociation Products, Non-Enzymatic Dissociation Agents, Instruments & Accessories, Other Products based on Product. The Market can be categorized into Cell Detachment, Tissue Dissociation, Other Types based on Tissue Type. The Market can be categorized into Academic & Research Institutes, Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies, Contract Research Organizations, Hospitals & Diagnostic Laboratories, Other End Users based on End User. The Market can be categorized into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa based on Region.
Below tree is interactive. You can click the nodes to get more information.
Based on Product
Enzymatic Dissociation is the Best Option for Live Cell Isolation and Downstream Analyses
Due to several significant benefits it provides, enzymatic dissociation, also known as enzymatic cell dissociation, is a widely used technique in theCell Dissociation market. With the aid of enzymes, intercellular adhesion molecules are broken down in this technique, enabling the delicate separation of cells from tissues or cell cultures. Enzymatic treatment preserves cell viability and function because it stresses and disrupts the cell membrane less than mechanical or physical methods. Enzymatic dissociation is the best option for live cell isolation and downstream analyses in flow cytometry, cell culture, and molecular biology. Enzymatic dissociation is additionally a quick process. Since enzymes typically have fast kinetics, cells can be quickly separated from tissues or cultures.
Based on Type
Tissue Dissociation Techniques Ensure High Viability and Preservation of Cell Function, Improving Downstream Applications such as Cell Culture and Analysis.
The market for cell dissociation is dominated by tissue dissociation primarily because it effectively isolates different cell types from solid tissues. This approach uses mechanical shearing or enzymes to disrupt cell adhesion and break down the extracellular matrix, producing a higher yield of viable cells than other approaches. For instance, tissue dissociation using collagenase or trypsin enzyme digestion can effectively release cells from tissues like the heart, liver, or skin. Additionally, tissue dissociation makes it possible to isolate particular cell populations, like immune cells or stem cells, allowing researchers to learn more about their biology and potential medical uses. The market's top option for obtaining viable cells is tissue dissociation because it provides a flexible and dependable method.
Based on End-User
Companies in the Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Industries have Excellent Research and Development Resources, which Enable them to Create Cutting-Edge Cell Dissociation Methods and Technologies.
TheCell Dissociation market is dominated by pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies for several distinctive reasons. First, they can create sophisticated and specialized cell dissociation technologies thanks to their extensive research and development capabilities. These businesses make significant investments in cellular biology research, which enables them to develop new enzymes and chemical agents that effectively dissolve cell-to-cell connections. Additionally , pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies have the resources to carry out extensive clinical trials and acquire regulatory approvals to ensure the safety and efficacy of their cell dissociation products. Additionally, these businesses frequently partner with hospitals and academic institutions, providing access to various cell types for research and validation. Ultimately, pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies can dominate theCell Dissociation market thanks to their knowledge, resources, and market presence.
Based on Region
North America is the Largest Region of theCell Dissociation market.
Due to established competitors’ emphasis on R&D activities, North America is the largest region of theCell Dissociation market. Cell-based therapies are becoming more popular in the area, fueling the market's expansion. Additionally, the healthcare system in North America is well-developed, which expands consumer access to and demand for cell dissociation goods. The United States accounts for a sizable portion of the market in particular, with growth being fueled by the development of cutting-edge technology and increased public awareness of regenerative medicine.
Additionally, there has been an upsurge in research into cell-based therapies due to the rising prevalence of chronic diseases and the move toward personalized therapy. Additionally, North America has seen sizable investments in R&D, resulting in ongoing innovation in cell dissociation. For example, the region has witnessed the development of sophisticated enzyme-based dissociation techniques, such as the use of collagenase and trypsin, which allow for the effective and quick isolation of cells for various applications, such as stem cell research and regenerative medicine. These developments have boosted the competitiveness of North American businesses in the international market.
Thermo Fisher Scientific, Merck KGaA, and STEMCELL Technologies are among the top companies operating in North America's fiercely competitive market. These businesses increase their market share through tactical alliances and acquisitions while investing consistently in product innovation and development. Furthermore, the market is expanding in the area due to favorable government initiatives and laws that assist the development of regenerative medicine.
Numerous international and regional actors compete fiercely on the global market. Major corporations engage in strategic alliances, mergers & acquisitions, and joint ventures to acquire a market advantage. In addition, manufacturers concentrate on capacity expansions and R&D for new product development to offer consumers products that are on trend. One of the market's top players, Thermo Fisher Scientific, provides a variety of kits and reagents for cell dissociation. Major players in this market include Miltenyi Biotec and BD Biosciences, which offer cutting-edge approaches and technologies for cell dissociation. Stemcell Technologies, Lonza Group, and Sartorius are a few other well-known businesses that operate in this industry. These businesses consistently spend money on R&D to launch cutting-edge products and methods that boost lab accuracy and efficiency. For example, Sanofi and Innate Pharma SA increased their cooperation with Sanofi in December 2022 for natural killer cell therapeutics in oncology.
The key players in the global Cell Dissociation market include - VitaCyte LLC (U.S.), Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (U.S.), PAN-Biotech GMBH (Germany), Merck KGaA (Germany), HiMedia Laboratories Pvt. Ltd. (India), Miltenyi Biotec GmbH (Germany), STEMCELL Technologies Inc. (Canada), General Electric Company (U.S.), Roche Diagnostics (Switzerland), Becton Dickinson & Company (U.S.) among others.
Recent Market Developments
- On March 10, 2023, Agilent Technologies Inc. announced the acquisition of e-MSion, an early-stage company behind the innovative electron capture dissociation (ECD) technology known as the ExD cell.
- On September 21, 2022, S2 Genomics, Inc., a leading developer of laboratory automation solutions for processing solid tissues for life science applications, announced today that it has entered into a distribution agreement with Proteigene for the promotion, sales, and support of S2’s Singulator™ 100 System and associated products for single-cell genomics and cell biology applications in France.
- On March 1, 2022, LevitasBio Inc. announced the launch of their LeviPrep™ and LeviSelect™ product lines. Developed to work with the LeviCell™ system, these solutions streamline the processing of human and mouse tissue and cell samples used in advanced biological research.
Segmentation of the Global Cell Dissociation Market
- Product (Enzymatic Dissociation Products, Non-Enzymatic Dissociation Agents, Instruments & Accessories, Other Products)
- Tissue Type (Cell Detachment, Tissue Dissociation, Other Types)
- End User (Academic & Research Institutes, Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies, Contract Research Organizations, Hospitals & Diagnostic Laboratories, Other End Users)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa)
|Regions & Countries Covered
- North America - (U.S., Canada, Mexico)
- Europe - (U.K., France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Rest Of Europe)
- Asia Pacific - (China, Japan, India, South Korea, South East Asia, Rest Of Asia Pacific)
- Latin America - (Brazil, Argentina, Rest Of Latin America)
- Middle East & Africa - (GCC Countries, South Africa, Rest Of Middle East & Africa)
- VitaCyte LLC (U.S.)
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (U.S.)
- PAN-Biotech GMBH (Germany)
- Merck KGaA (Germany)
- HiMedia Laboratories Pvt. Ltd. (India)
- Miltenyi Biotec GmbH (Germany)
- STEMCELL Technologies Inc. (Canada)
- General Electric Company (U.S.)
- Roche Diagnostics (Switzerland)
- Becton Dickinson & Company (U.S.)
||Market growth drivers, restraints, opportunities, Porter’s five forces analysis, PEST
analysis, value chain analysis, regulatory landscape, technology landscape, patent analysis, market
attractiveness analysis by segments and North America, company market share analysis, and COVID-19
Pricing and purchase options
||Avail of customized purchase options to meet your exact research needs. Explore purchase options